Priceline Hotel: 3* or 4* in Downtown Chicago

maduggin
By maduggin,
in

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The 4th of July period in Chicago is usually a pretty slow one, which is why I'm surprised that rates are as high as they are for these dates. Looking at the convention calendar, there's a fairly decent-sized convention but it ends on the 2nd, so that wouldn't explain why these nights are as expensive as they are.

I do see what appears to be the Hotel Felix for $193 on Hot.wire (you may see a slightly different price), so you're not far off, most likely.

If you're driving, the suburbs would be substantially cheaper and then you could take the train in. Hot.wire has what appears to be the Westin North Shore for $69. That said, I'd only stay in the burbs if you are driving.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

The nite of 7/3 is the 'problem' nite as the previous nite is showing very reasonable rates. The Grateful Dead is playing at Soldier Field for 3 nites starting July 3rd, so this may have something to do with it, but i'm not sure if this is the reason behind the higher rates or not. Regardless of the reason, it's important to realize that rates spike for this nite and you'll need to adjust your bidding/expectations accordingly.

Have you bid both 3* and 4* up to $175 or only the 4 star level? Which zone(s) did you include in your bidding? Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you're splitting the stay, there's a very good chance you'll end up switching hotels. 

I'm seeing a 4* Mag Mile-RN for $115 for the first night w/Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Pet Friendly. These are very common amenities, but they have been seen with the Sheraton previously, so that would be my guess.

For the second night, I'm seeing a 4* in the Mag Mile-RN area for $300 w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa. This would likely be the Godfrey Hotel, which is a very nice property that I would highly recommend IF you can get a high floor, which isn't guaranteed. The problem with the Godfrey is that it has a bar/club on the 4th floor with a retractable roof, which is open apparently into the early morning. I would not want to be anywhere near that and on a high floor there, I didn't hear a thing. People have complained about the noise on lower floors though.

I'm also seeing a 4* in the same zone w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower for $257.

-- This would likely be the Godfrey's sister property, the Felix, which doesn't get as strong reviews. It is literally next door. Great area, easy walk to River North restaurants.

If you did the Felix/Sheraton combo, it would be an average per night of about $186 (may be slightly different.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]