Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Chelsea) Gem Hotel - Chelsea, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Fast Ted
By Fast Ted,
in

Hi,

I am new to the site. Looking for ideally a 5 star hotel in New York for 10th wedding anniversary. Ideal locations would be Chelsea, West Village or Greeneich Village. Would also consider Soho, TriBeCa, Gramercy Park, Union Square or Times Square (too touristy?). Dates are 17th - 22nd September with a budget of $1400 for 5 nights ($280/night) inc all taxes. Is this a realistic budget. I would consider 4* if so but want somewhere nice for the special occasion.

Thanks,

Ted

Preference would be (in order) Chelsea, Soho Tribeca, Times Square.

Price.line does not currently offer 5* bidding in Chelsea.

Can't seem to find an area that covers West Village or Greenwich village.

Price.line's Zone#8 (currently) covers 'Greenwich Village'... but there are very few hotels in this zone.

Regardless of the above, i don't think your budget is going to be enough for a 5* hotel for these dates (which are at the start of high season for NYC).

If going to down to the 4* level there is no way to ensure one of the nicer 4 star properties when bidding on PRICELINE, so you would then need to consider HOTWIRE and/or PRICELINE EXPRESS.

I am seeing a 4* hotel in the Chelsea zone for $217/nite (before fees/taxes) that is 100% recommended by previous HOTWIRE guests and has a 4.0/5.0 TA rating... best guess for this one would be the Wyndham Garden Hotel Manhattan Chelsea West.

The Lucerne is highly rated/reviewed (4.5/5.0 TA rating) but is in the Upper West Side zone, available a little over your budget at $245/nite.

Any interest in either of the above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thanks for the response.

What do you think I would have to go up to to get a 5 star hotel. I could probably stretch to $340/night inc taxes. Would that be enough?

I have seen a 5 star hotel on Hotwire for £206/night (circa $309) in Times Square - any suggestions? Also an empire state building one for £221/night (circa $331)

There are also one in each of Midtown East and Midtown Central which are advertising a huge discount of 63%/64% off ($368/$417). Totally breaking my budget but may be able to convince the wife if they are really worth it - its a 10th wedding anniversary so may be worth it.... any ideas on which hotels they may be. Are the hotels on the lists that come up more often?

Thanks,

Ted

What do you think I would have to go up to to get a 5 star hotel. I could probably stretch to $340/night inc taxes.

Please list your budget on a per nite basis before fees/taxes. At $300+ it would be worth trying, although at current rates i still think it will likely fall short. If you let us know which zone(s) you'd like to include in your 5* bidding we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

For help with the HOTWIRE offers please include the full list of amenities associated with each one. Also, to ensure you're seeing the complete list for each using the following method(s):

1) use the EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com and click the green 'See All Amenities' button

OR

2) search HOTWIRE (or use the HOTWIRE tab at BiddingHelper.com) and...

• click the offer
  • on the next page click the BOOK NOW link
  • in the TRIP SUMMARY box click the 'See more' link at the end of the amenities
If you are looking to increase your budget, i would suggest/consider the 4.5* PRICELINE EXPRESS offer for $290/nite with:

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Business Center

... my guess here would be the InterContinental Times Square, which gets good reviews. However, note the $290 price is for a room with a double bed, but for $309/nite you can book a King Bed with a city view.

Thoughts on this one?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

Zones I would be looking at would be Soho/Tribeca, Times Square and Central Park South.

Hotwire hotels are as follows:

Midtown Central £249/night ($373) - 90% recommended, Free Internet, Pet Friendly, Fitness Center, Restaurants, Buisness Center. TA 4.5 out of 5.

Empire State Buidling £223/night ($335) - 90% recommended, Free Internet, Fitness Center, Restaurants.  TA 4.5 out of 5.

Soho/Tribeca £256/night ($384) - 90% recommended, Free Internet, Pet Friendly, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurants, Buisness Center, Self Service Laundry, Internet Access, Spa Services. TA 4.5 out of 5.

InterContinental Times Square looks ok but the one I originally liked was The Giraffe which I have found for $336 which I would probably favour.

Thanks,

Ted

I could probably stretch to $340/night inc taxes.

All of the HOTWIRE hotels above are well over your budget... or are you now willing to spend $400+ per nite including taxes? (as well, they would all be more then the rate you're quoting for the Hotel Giraffe)

The Hotel Giraffe gets very good reviews, if you're wiling to pay the $336/nite price why not go with that one?

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I have been on here and decided to get an apartment rather than a hotel in the end, however I still need a hotel for 1 night (17th September). Any ideas what the following hotels on Priceline could be?

Downtown Financial District - 4 Star - Guest Rating 7+ - Amenities: Business Centre, Restaurant, Free Internet, Fitness Centre - Bed Choice Available (Save 22% or more) - $242/night

Midtown East Area - 4 Star - Guest Rating 7+ - Business Centre, Restaurant, Fitness Centre (Save 16% or more) - $256

Empire State Building Area - 4 Star - Guest Rating 7+ - Bed Choice Available (save 38% or more) - $260

Empire State Building Area - 4 Star - Guest Rating 8+ - Business Centre, Free Internet, Free Breakfast, Fitness Centre - Bed choice (save 18% or more)

Lower East Side - 4 Star - Guest Rating 8+ - Business Centre, Restaurant, Free Internet, Fitness Centre - Bed Choice (save 22% or more) - $236

Long Island City - 4 Star - Guest Rating 8+ - Business Centre, Restaurant, Free Internet - Bed choice (save 26%+) - $166

On another note, am I better leaving this to the last minute to get a better deal or does it not make that much difference?

Thanks again,

Ted

On another note, am I better leaving this to the last minute to get a better deal or does it not make that much difference?

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip, it all depends how actual supply/demand (new reservations/cancellations) come in relative to expectations... if more new reservations are received and few cancellations, then rates could move higher; if fewer new reservations and more cancellations are received then rates could move lower. However, i will add that this is the beginning of high-season in NYC so i wouldn't recommend leaving until the very last minute.

What is your budget for this solo nite? Are you looking to take a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal OR would you ultimately first try bidding on PRICELINE for a lower price?

I was ideally looking to spend $225 inc taxes but could up this to $300 for the one night. I was initially looking at PRICELINE EXPRESS to try and get an idea of what hotels you get for these sort of prices but am open to bidding on priceline as at the end of the day its only one night. Preference would be downtown MH but would also consider Long Island to see somewhere different as have a further 4 nights in Manhattan.

If you could advise what you think the express deals hotels could be that would give me an idea of what you get but a bidding strategy would also be good as a bit more exciting that way!

Thanks

You can see hotels that have been offered at each star level and within each zone in the Priceline Hotel List.

There is enough of a disconnect between what is offered thru PRICELINE EXPRESS and what you will win by bidding on PRICELINE that it's not a good use of time or resources to research 6 PRICELINE EXPRESS offers (even if each takes 3-5 minutes you're looking at 20-30 minutes)... not to mention that all of the hotels above are over your target budget and that you're still considering waiting longer to make your purchase, and the hotels currently available may not be the ones that are offered once you're ready to move forward and commit to this nite.

I did have a look at the Long Island City property since that is significantly cheaper then the other offers, and would also provide a very different experience vs. staying directly in Manhattan, that you could make a determination if the savings is worth it vs. staying in Manhattan... my best guess for the 4* LIC PRICELINE EXPRESS offer would be the Paper Factory Hotel.

Once you're ready to move forward let us know which zone(s) you'd like to include in your first round of bidding, and your maximum bid price (before taxes/fees) and we will advise accordingly (or how it goes if you decide to go for the 4* Long Island City PRICELINE EXPRESS offer)

Hi,

I like the look of the Paper Factory but have now decided we'd rather stay in Manhattan where there is a bit more going on. So may as well go for a name your price offer, worst comes to worst it's only for one night. Max budget before taxes would be $250. Areas of choice in order of preference would be:

Chelsea

Soho

Midtown west

Empire State Building

Union square east village

Central Park South

Midtown East

Lower East Side

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks again,

Ted

Are you looking to bid at the 4* level?

Also, are you willing to pay more for your first choice of zone vs. your second choice of zone vs. your third choice of zone, etc, etc... or is the ultimately goal the least expensive (4* or higher) property in any of the zones above?

Please confirm and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTE, ESB...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Union Square, CPS, MTW, LES...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTW, LES...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Union Square, CPS, MTE, ESB...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Union Square, CPS, MTW, ESB...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTE, LES...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, CPS, MTE, ESB...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Union Square, Soho, MTW, LES...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB, Union Square, CPS...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB, Union Square, MTE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB, Union Square, LES...

Select 4* CPS, MTE, Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB...

Bid $208, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $213, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* CPS, MTE, Chelsea, Soho, MTW, Union Square...

Select 4* CPS, MTE, Chelsea, Soho, MTW, LES...

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB, Union Square, CPS, MTE...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $218, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB, Union Square, CPS, LES...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $218, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, LES, Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB, Union Square...

Bid $223, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $228, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, LES, Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB, CPS...

Bid $223, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $228, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Soho, MTW, ESB, Union Square, CPS, MTE, LES...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $233, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $235

If the above is rejected, PRICELINE EXPRESS has this 4 star Lower East Side property for $236/nite with Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center that you can take.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]