Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower) MileNorth Hotel

BrianEJ27
By BrianEJ27,
in

Hello, everyone!

I'm currently looking into booking a room in the Loop/Theater District area but am having trouble ID'ing the property. The full amenities list is as follows:

Free Internet

Pet friendly

Fitness center

Restaurant(s)

Business center

Internet access

Golf nearby

Accessible for visually impaired

Accessible for hearing impaired

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Accessible parking

Roll-in shower

The three of us plan to check in on June 20th and check out on June 23rd.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this property is Hotel Blake, but hopefully someone can help me feel a bit more comfortable with that guess.

And yes, I've been using the Better Bidding links at the top of the page!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

My guess for this one would be the Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago (also known as the Crowne Plaza Metro)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the prompt response!  The Crowne Plaza may be a little too far out for us, so I'll sit on it for now.

Could you perhaps assist with identifying another hotel, this time in the River North area?  The amenities for this 3.5* location are as follows:

Free Internet

Indoor pool(s)

Fitness center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business center

Self-service laundry

Internet access

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Accessible parking

Roll-in shower

It would be for the same dates but at $143.00/night.  I at first thought it might be the Doubletree but believe it may actually be the Courtyard (on Ontario) or the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza.  I'm probably wrong, though, hence the request.

Thanks again!  I appreciate it.

The zone boundaries for this area have just changed slightly and the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza is no in the River North zone... that would be my best guess for the 3.5* above.

I'm seeing much higher rated hotels (4.5 star properties) which if divided by 3 people would not be that much more per nite and would likely provide a much nicer experience.

AaronJB knows this area extremely well, and if you let us know your needs for this trip, as well as your maximum budget per nite (before taxes/fees), i'm sure he can give you your best options within your budget.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We're looking to stay under $160/night (before taxes and fees) and don't need a hotel with anything fancy, though our main requirement is that it be convenient to public transit (which is a relatively easy requirement to meet in Chicago).  

We plan on hitting some of the local museums (The Field, Chicago Cultural Center, and Museum of Contemporary Art), Millennium Park, and some attractions further north of the River (Lincoln Park Zoo and Conservatory, Music Box Theatre, Second City, etc.).

I'm obviously open to suggestions, so thanks again!

You definitely don't want the Crowne Plaza Metro - I will say that the West Loop is starting to have quite the food scene, but in terms of the city as a whole it's really not very convenient at all and the West portion of the Loop is really quiet on weekends and after dark.

The Holiday Inn Mart Plaza is likely the 3.5* Mag Mile-RN, as that was rezoned recently. I actually like that hotel in some regards, as it's unique in that it's the top half of the building and it's in a spot where it's not all tall buildings, so you do at least have a better chance of a view, including the potential of a river view (that's an upgrade, but you could try talking to them at check-in or writing/calling ahead.) There is a little bar/restaurant off the side of the check-in where you could also sit and have a drink with a great view of the river. It was remodeled not too many years ago and is a reasonably nice big city Holiday Inn property.

The Holiday Inn is not terribly central, BUT I will say that I'd much rather that then the Crowne Plaza. Additionally, with the Holiday Inn, the Brown Line is right there. You're also not a far walk ("far" is going to vary from person-to-person) to restaurants in River North.

I do see what appears to be the Raffaello for $166 and what appears to be the Intercontinental for $177 - you may see slightly different prices. If either of these are of interest, please let us know and we would be happy to point out which is which.

If you are looking to keep it under $160 and are not going to be in the hotel a lot, the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza would work. Plus, in terms of transit, the Brown Line is pretty much right there. If you do get the Holiday Inn, I'd try to contact them and see if you can work something out for a river view.

If you do go to Second City, I'd highly suggest walking a few blocks South to the Spice House, which is a gorgeous, husband/wife run herb and spice store - they sell a lot of blends based on various Chicago neighborhoods and many of the top chefs in the city shop there. At the very least, merely going in there is an amazing sensory experience. Museum of Contemporary Art is fine, but I'd really suggest the Art Institute quite strongly if you haven't been there already. Music Box theater is certainly a classic theater and you can walk past Wrigley on the way. 

I'm very familiar with the city - let me know if you have any city questions at all/need recommendations/etc.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations (especially the Spice House, which sounds like a great place to check out).

If you don't mind, could you tell me which listing you see as (possibly) being the Raffaello?  I see a new listing for a 4* Water Tower hotel at $147/night... could this maybe be the Raffaello or is it more likely to be MileNorth or Public?  It has the following amenities:

Free Internet

Pet friendly

Boutique hotel

Smoke-free rooms

Fitness center

Restaurant(s)

Business center

Internet access

Golf nearby

Tennis nearby

Spa services

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Accessible parking

Roll-in shower

Thanks again for your help!  You guys rock.

The MileNorth has been seen with that amenity set previously, so that would be my guess. Do know that there is a 6.95 fee per night at that hotel (which I believe includes internet), but even at $155 w/fee, that would be a great deal for a very nice, quite well-reviewed hotel. It's also an easy walk from that hotel to the Red Line stop at Chicago/State.

In terms of Lincoln Park/Second City (Old Town), if you're up for a walk, it's a bit of a trek, but it's a pleasant trek from the top portion of Michigan Ave to the Zoo. I'd be happy to offer directions, restaurant recommendations (let me know what you like/dislike, etc) and answer any other city questions.

Additionally, if you wanted to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art, the MileNorth is practically around the corner.

I'm not seeing the potential Raffaello this morning.

I went through with the 4* Water Tower bid and can now confirm that the property is MileNorth at $147/night (plus fees)!  It looks like a well-rounded and perfectly located hotel, so we're all looking forward to checking it (and the roof top bar) out in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all of your help!  I'll likely check back in soon for a few recommendations because you obviously know this part of the city quite well.

Have a good one!

Congrats on your success. :)

I think this is a great choice - certainly a well-reviewed hotel and couldn't be a better location right off Michigan Ave near the center of the Michigan Ave area. Definitely post in this thread if you have any city questions.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]