Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Northbrook - Glenview - Mt Prospect) Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel

dep
By dep,
in

My wife and I are travelling to Chicago in July.  It will be our first time there, and we have no idea where to stay.  We are spending 1 entire day at Wrigley field for a day-night double header, but will be doing other things the rest of the time.  So I guess staying somewhere reasonably close to Wrigley and the mass transit to get there, would be a plus.  Currently looking at Evanston and O'Hare areas.  We won't be in a hotel much, so don't want to spend much.  I did see a 4 star at ORD South for $60 or so.  any ideas on that or anyplace else to stay?  Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What are the actual dates of your stay? What is your maximum budget for this trip?

Keep in mind that if you stay out by O'Hare, it will be about an hour to get 'downtown' if that is where you will be heading most days to explore the city.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The issue really becomes whether or not you are driving. If you are driving, then you have a lot of appealing options in the North Suburbs - Evanston's one, but you could also look at Skokie, Deerfield, Northbrook and Glenview. If you are not driving and you're flying in, then the problem is the idea that you're going downtown and then you're going North to Evanston because you can't go from ORD to Evanston directly. Evanston is really a great place and the North Burbs have a lot going for them.

The issue with Evanston in terms of the discount services is that the zone on Hot.wire and Price.line also includes Skokie. Skokie is fine if you're driving, but it's not great if you have to go from ORD to downtown to Evanston to Skokie.

I'm very familiar with downtown and very familiar with the burbs. I often recommend the burbs as as a cheaper alternative for those who aren't going to be in the room a lot and who want a cheaper alternative. Additionally, the Metra trains from the burbs are nicer than the CTA trains. Again though, the suburbs are really more possible if you're driving. 

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

We will be arriving July 6, and we will be driving.  The games at Wrigley are on the 7th.  Best guess right now is we will be in Chicago until Friday or Saturday.  So it's an hour from OHare to downtown?  Is that driving or mass transit?  I'm sure we will take mass transit to Wrigley and downtown.  Not sure about other places.  I would like to stay somewhere with free parking and tops $100.  That's why we are not looking downtown.  We could pay more, but that's just what I would prefer, especially since the hotel is basically a place to sleep.  But we don't want a dump either. The suburbs sound the best for us, but we don't want to be too far out either.  Thanks.

The suburbs are I think a more pleasant option from the standpoint of there are some sights (Chicago Botanic Garden, Ravinia Music Festival, etc) and there's a wide variety of restaurants and shopping. The other issue is that - personally - I like the Metra trains.

The Metra trains that run from the suburbs into downtown are more like Amtrak trains from the standpoint of they have conductors, they have bathrooms, two levels and more comfortable seats. I enjoy sitting on a Metra for 35-45 minutes into the city and looking at the scenery. The Metra trains are comfortable enough so that if you're going into the city you can sit and talk and plan the day easily on the way into downtown. Trying to take a CTA train into downtown for an hour (and it is about a 55-60 minute CTA ride from ORD; driving really depends on traffic and honestly I wouldn't drive into the city if I didn't have to) from ORD and it's morning rush....not fun. The Metra trains do not run as often, but it's really not difficult to time getting to the station on time.

The other issue with ORD is that a lot of the hotels (especially at the 4* level) do not have free parking.

I'm seeing:

Hot.wire (you may see a slightly different price):

3.5* Northbrook: $73. Suite, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Free Parking, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Pet Friendly

-- Not yet ID'd/reported to the board, but likely a new amenity set for Wyndham Glenview Suites.

4* Northbrook $114 Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Free Parking, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely Renaissance North Shore. This hotel offers a shuttle to the nearby Metra Station (you'd have to call for hours of shuttle service) and is right across the highway from the back entrance of the Chicago Botanic Garden (you could have the shuttle drop you off at the back entrance, then it's free if you're just walking in. The Chicago Botanic Garden is amazing, well worth it.)

----

If you wanted ORD:

4* O'Hare South $60 Shuttle, Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower. 

-- Likely Hyatt ORD.

While you said you wanted to stay under $100, I will say that prices downtown aren't much more - 

4* Mag Mile N-Water Tower $119 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Possible match for the Public Hotel Chicago, which is a couple minutes walk from the top end of the North Michigan Ave area. You would then park in a public lot downtown (Navy Pier perhaps, maybe Millennium Park and then leave it there for the whole period.) So ultimately this probably ends up at $155 or so per night with parking, but you're downtown already versus traveling in and out of the city each day.

Please let us know if you have any questions before booking.

I see a 3 star hotel in Evanston/Skokie/Niles for $88 withe the following amenities.  Hotwire also says it is 80% recommended.

Amenities

Business center
      Fitness center
      Free Internet
      Free parking
      Indoor pool(s)
      Pet friendly
      Pool(s)
      Restaurant(s)
      Self-service laundry

I searched on Evanston and do not see any 3 stars that have been identified recently.  Back in 2014 I saw the Holiday Inn as a 3 star, but it had different amenities.  Also, is there a big difference in which of these 3 towns to stay in? 

Thanks.

I'd guess this is the Holiday Inn with a slightly different amenity set. Evanston is without question the most convenient, but unfortunately the zone is huge - Skokie is fairly far to the West and I don't believe any hotels in Niles have been reported to the board. Skokie's not as convenient - you could drive to the Skokie Swift or the Morton Grove Metra station, although not sure how much parking there's going to be at the latter.

That Holiday Inn is an older property and is not great, but reviews have improved a little in recent years.Unfortunately, the Evanston hotels haven't been seen as a win in quite some time - too bad, as Evanston is terrific with a lot of shopping and restaurants, plus easy walk to both CTA and Metra stations.

While I definitely understand trying to keep the budget at $100 or less, I do think the $114 possible Renaissance North Shore (4* Northbrook-Glenview, Hot.wire, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Free Parking, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly) would make for a better experience in terms of hotel and that's in a really nice area with a good amount of shopping and restaurants right nearby, as well as the Botanic Garden.

I see a 3* hotel in Northbrook for $86 with the following amenities that is 90% recommended.  Would you know or have an idea what hotel it might be?  Thanks.

Amenities

Business center
      Fitness center
      Free Internet
      Free parking
      Golf nearby
      Restaurant(s)
      Self-service laundry

I see a 3* hotel in Northbrook for $86 with the following amenities that is 90% recommended.  Would you know or have an idea what hotel it might be?  Thanks.

Amenities

Business center

Fitness center

Free Internet

Free parking

Golf nearby

Restaurant(s)

Self-service laundry

This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board. A guess would be the Holiday Inn Mt Prospect with a new amenity set, but it may be something else not yet reported to the board. I'm seeing a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating on the detail page, so the mystery property does get good reviews.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

AaronJB knows this area best, and i agree with his guess of the Holiday Inn as being the most likely, but i'll also add that the Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Glenview / Northbrook would be a secondary (although less likely) possibility as well.

Either way both get excellent reviews, but just wanted to make sure you're aware of another possibility as well.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you took this and it's the Courtyard, the nearest Metra station is not far away (the North Glenview station.) If it was the Holiday Inn, the Mt Prospect station would be the closest. 

The potential Renaissance mentioned above does in fact have a shuttle to two Metra stations (two different lines.) One of the stations is on a line where you can get off, transfer to the CTA "L" and take that to Addison. If you came in on one of the other Metra lines, you'd go downtown and then take the "L" North to Wrigley.

Well, we are still looking.  I just went to Hotwire and chose the Evanston/Niles/Skokie area again.  I still see the 3* available for around $87-$90.  The one that is 80% recommended.  When I clicked on it, Hotwire put up a blue box that said "Book soon. The last person gotthe Evanston Homestead.  The amenities list is:

Amenities

Business center
      Fitness center
      Free Internet
      Free parking
      Indoor pool(s)
      Pet friendly
      Pool(s)
      Restaurant(s)
      Self-service laundry

On Tripadvisor I see varying reviews.  Is this property likely the Homestead?  If so, how is the hotel, and how convenient to get downtown and Wrigley?

Thanks.

The "last person got" notes are not necessarily the underlying hotel, but the last hotel that someone got at that star rating in that zone. 

This would likely be the Holiday Inn Skokie, unfortunately. The Homestead would be a great result, but this definitely isn't the Homestead as it doesn't have a number of these amenities, especially a pool.

A friend of mine from Naperville thinks wee should stay out there and ride the Metra in, but we will be going to Wrigley and the downtown area for at least 3 days and I think that is too far out.  I am possibly looking at the Lombard-Oak Brook-Downers Grove area.  Is that too far out?  It doesn't look much different on the map than North

I see a 4.5* hotel in that area for $81 that has a 95% recommendation.  It has the following amenities:

Amenities

Business center
      Fitness center
      Free parking
      Indoor pool(s)
      Internet access
      Pet friendly
      Pool(s)
      Restaurant(s)
      Smoke-free rooms

I would be interested in which hotel this might be, and also the location and is it too far?

Thanks.

We will be arriving July 6... Best guess right now is we will be in Chicago until Friday or Saturday.

So we can replicate your search, for which set of dates are you searching? Are your dates yet confirmed?

This would be a possible match for the Westin Lombard.

Oakbrook area would be okay, I wouldn't go any further than that. The positive of the North burbs is that you can get the CTA in Evanston or even Wilmette at Linden, then take that to Wrigley directly or the full way downtown OR take the Metra downtown, which does give you some flexibility. Keep in mind that the last Metra out is around midnight.

If you took the train in from Lombard, you'd get off at Union Station, then either walk to a Red Line train and take that North to Addison or take the Brown Line to Fullerton and then switch there to the Red Line and take that the remainder.

We saw the 4* in Northbrook at $97, which was lower than before, and it was the only 4* listed, so we were hoping it was the Renaissance North Shore, but we got the Sheraton.  Hopefully not a big deal.  The Sheraton is 90% recommended, but I assume it is not as convenient to the Metra.

Congrats on your success. 

I'm guessing availability/inventory changed since last checked. Can you confirm the amenities that were showing with this listing under the trip information in your Hot.wire account? Click "My Account" in the upper corner of Hot.wire.

In a number of regards, this is a better option than the Renaissance.

1. Much newer hotel.

2. The Sheraton is located at the far end of a very nice, upscale mall - on the other side of the Mall is a terrific Whole Foods and there are a couple of nice restaurants in the mall.

3. There is a train station actually literally a couple of minutes (about 1.5mi) away from this hotel (the North Glen/Glenview station.) However, that train goes downtown. If you can get the hotel shuttle to take you to the Winnetka Metra station which is to the East then that train can be taken South to Evanston, then you can get off at Davis and take the CTA to Addison. If you take the train from North Glen/Glenview, then you will take that downtown then have to take the CTA back North to Addison.  I don't think you're going to find any parking at the Winnetka Metra station. At the Glenview station, you can pay for parking via an App (https://gopassport.com/metra/.)

Note there are red light cameras at the corner of Willow and Waukegan right by the hotel and nearby Willow and Wagner.

Also, tons of restaurants nearby - if anything, the Sheraton is closer to more restaurants (in nearby Glenview) than around the Renaissance. I'd be happy to offer recommendations - let me know likes/dislikes.

Enjoy your stay.

I'm sure the Sheraton will be fine.  Here are the amenities from Hotwire:

Hotel Amenities

Free parking
    Free Internet
    Pet friendly
    Indoor pool(s)
    Smoke-free rooms
    Fitness center
    Pool(s)
    Restaurant(s)
    Business center
    Self-service laundry
    Internet access
    Golf nearby

Accessibility

Accessible path of travel
    In-room accessibility
    Accessible bathroom
    Accessible parking

We will be at Wrigley for a whole day (doubleheader). The other things we plan to see are the Riverwalk, Millennium Park, Navy Pier, Shedd's Aquarium, Sears Tower, Mag Mile, and Botanical Garden. So most of the time we will probably be taking mass transit.  I know you mentioned a well known pizza place in Northbrook. What was it?  Other local places would be good too, either in Northbrook or downtown.

Thanks again.

The Chicago Botanic Garden in the Burbs is - to me - sort of like the Art Institute of garden museums. It's really an exemplary place and what really gets me is not only the scope and scale - it's a sizable place - but the attention to detail. You walk around and there's not a leaf out of place. It's sleek, too - the architecture of the buildings is gorgeous, especially the new building. It was a stunning place when I was a kid and they've only built it up further over the years. Parking is pricey, but there is no admission cost, so if you take the parking cost and split it it's sort of like admission. There is also a beautiful cafe.

If you go to Millennium Park, the bean is arguably the most widely known aspect of the park, but I think it's pretty amazing what they've done if you walk further back, including the Lurie Garden. (http://www.luriegarden.org/).

Navy Pier is in the midst of being renovated. I've never been a fan of it - I've always considered it a tourist trap. When I was there about a month and a half ago they were just starting some of the renovation process - while it seemed kind of promising, not much had been done. It needed to be modernized and rethought. Lincoln Park Zoo (great and free) is what I've often recommended as an alternative.

If you go to the Shedd, try to get there early. I just don't think it's as enjoyable when it's jammed there.

Your hotel is on a side street called Founders Drive. If you take this side street North it will wind around and come out on Waukegan Road. Take Waukegan Road North briefly and you will come across the intersection of Voltz and Waukgean. The only option on Voltz is to head East. Take Voltz road East to Sunset Ridge. Take Sunset Ridge North briefly and you will come out on Skokie Blvd. Across the street is actually the Renaissance. On the opposite side of the street is Barnaby's Pizza. Barnaby's is not the world's greatest pizza, but it's very good with a unique cornmeal crust. What is big is that it is effectively a neighborhood institution. It has been there for decades and what's remarkable to those who have lived in the area is the fact that it literally appears as if time stopped inside. It looks almost exactly like it did when I was a kid. I've gone there with people who used to live in the area and who haven't been there in ages and their jaws drop when they see how similar it is.

So, Barnaby's is on Skokie Blvd. If you head North on Skokie Blvd, you will pass Dundee and Skokie Blvd and keep going on Skokie Blvd. You'll pass under the highway and on the right hand side is a nice mall with Trader Joe's and other odds/ends. On the other side is highly popular Italian restaurant Hole in the Wall (http://www.yelp.com/biz/francescos-hole-in-the-wall-northbrook). Keep going on Skokie Blvd and you'll see Skokie Blvd and Lake Cook. Go East on Lake Cook and it's not long before you'll see the Botanic on the right hand side of the street. It's a large entrance.

If you leave your hotel and head South on Founders Drive to Willow and then head East on Willow, you'll get to Willow and Waukegan. Head South on Waukegan and you'll see local institution Walker Brothers (http://www.yelp.com/biz/walker-bros-original-pancake-house-glenview).

There's a lot nearby, including Pita Inn (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pita-inn-glenview), Egg Harbor Cafe (http://www.yelp.com/biz/egg-harbor-caf%C3%A9-glenview-4) and if you don't mind a bit of a drive South, there's Super H Mart (http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-h-mart-niles), which is an amazing Asian grocery store about the size of a Wal-Mart. Lots of fun to look around and a food court in the back.

I'm not sure it's quite as good as it was when I was a kid, but Hackney's on Lake (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g36052-d509908-Reviews-Hackney_s_On_Lake-Glenview_Illinois.html) is pretty much the definition of a local institution. It was built in the '30's and is a small bar and grill in the middle of a residential neighborhood that developed around it over the years. Other Glenview options worth noting include Cafe Lucci (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g36052-d429774-Reviews-Cafe_Lucci-Glenview_Illinois.html) and Jolane's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/jolanes-glenview-2).

Winnetka isn't a big drive to the East and offers Avli Esiatorio, which is a very nice Greek restaurant (http://www.yelp.com/biz/avli-estiatorio-winnetka) and tiny Green Bay Cafe (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-original-green-bay-cafe-winnetka), not to mention a great cafe in the Metra station there (http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-fleurette-winnetka).

Some downtown thoughts:

A few restaurant recommendations: Sable (http://www.yelp.com/biz/sable-chicago, which is at the Palomar hotel).

Hendrickx Belgian Bread (http://www.yelp.com/biz/hendrickx-belgian-bread-crafter-chicago), which is right off Michigan Ave - it's a tiny little place and primarily a bakery, but they do have more of a menu than just bakery items.

Xoco (http://www.yelp.com/biz/xoco-chicago) is a casual option from famed Fronterra Grill chef Rick Bayless.

North Pond (http://www.yelp.com/biz/north-pond-chicago?) Beautiful high-end option in a lovely setting by the pond near Lincoln Park Zoo.

Wildberry (http://www.yelp.com/biz/wildberry-pancakes-and-cafe-chicago-2) Traditional pancakes-style breakfast place - reasonably easy walk from your hotel.

Kendall Dining Room (http://www.kendall.edu/taste-of-kendall/fine-dining-restaurant/http://www.yelp.com/biz/kendall-college-the-dining-room-chicago) This is basically the training ground for Kendall College, which is a very highly respected culinary college in the city. Basically, this is a high-end dining experience that's very reasonably priced because it's acting effectively as a training facility. I'd call for reservations.

Pittsfield Cafe (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pittsfield-cafe-chicago, this is an old school diner - I went here as a kid, older relatives went here when they were younger, etc.) The food is reasonably good - very classic diner fare - a real core attraction here is that old school atmosphere and the beautiful architecture of the building's interior - it's tucked away in what's otherwise a classic office building downtown. It used to be cash, now I believe they take some cards but you may want to ask. This would probably be more of an institution if more people knew about it.

Boarding House (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-boarding-house-chicago), I've been meaning to try this place, but haven't - others I've talked to have liked it quite a bit. There is a show on locally called "Check Please" that Alpana Singh hosted - hugely popular restaurant review show locally for a long time. However, she was also the youngest woman to achieve the rank of Master Sommelier. She left "Check" a year or two ago to open two restaurants - this one and a new one, Seven Lions, on Michigan Ave.

A lot of people are a fan of deep dish - if you want deep dish I'd recommend Lou Malnati's (which is in River North and the Gold Coast areas downtown, but there's also one in Wilmette not far from your hotel.

Downtown I like La Madia for thin crust pizza.(http://www.yelp.com/biz/osteria-la-madia-chicago)

There is a beautiful farmer's market in Lincoln Park near the Zoo on Wed/Sat and on Division between State and Clark (the street is closed) on Saturdays in the Gold Coast. Even if you don't get anything, really fun to browse around a farmer's market in the middle of the city (or city park.)

Let me know more about what you are looking for in terms of restaurants (style, any particular types) and I'd be happy to offer more recommendations.

Also, let me know if you have any questions about any of the above.

• 2 weeks later...

Pittsfield Cafe (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pittsfield-cafe-chicago, this is an old school diner - I went here as a kid, older relatives went here when they were younger, etc.) The food is reasonably good - very classic diner fare - a real core attraction here is that old school atmosphere and the beautiful architecture of the building's interior - it's tucked away in what's otherwise a classic office building downtown. It used to be cash, now I believe they take some cards but you may want to ask.

They make a great corned beef hash, not the canned stuff. And they accept credit cards too, I stopped for breakfast during my last two trips.

Aaron, this is a comprehensive post of things to do in the area, I will bookmark this!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]