Priceline Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Omni Chicago Hotel

Katpainter
By Katpainter,
in

We are planning to visit Chicago 6/3-6/9. We have a toddler, and are hoping to avoid dragging the car seat along, so easy access to public transit is a must. I was looking at 4.5-star hotels on the Magnificent Mile, but it looks like most of those will require a cab or bus ride from the red line. Perhaps it would be smarter to look at downtown hotels instead? We're not picky about tourist sights--planning on spending time wandering, at parks, etc., but will probably go to the Aquarium and Navy Pier. Some hotels that I was considering: Hotel Felix, Silversmith Hotel, James, Conrad, and Intercontinental. Can anyone with experience chime in and make my brains top bleeding? :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages (which will also remove the red box at the top of the page and make the board easier to navigate)

What is your expected budget (per nite before fees/taxes) for this stay?

ALSO NOTE, you can/should dobulecheck, but i don't believe that children are required to be in a car seat while in a commercial vehicle (such as a taxi)... although whether or not your comfortable not having your child in a car seat is your personal choice.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Priceline rejected my bid for a 4.5-star hotel in the North Michigan Avenue/River North area, but I was given the option to raise my bid price to $194. We're hoping to keep it under $200 a night, if possible (before fees/taxes).

I'm hoping to avoid cabs altogether for that exact reason! :)

Okay, I'm looking at 2 adults on HOTWIRE for 6/3-9. I am not including a child because I'm guessing your child is under the age requirement for them to be listed on HOTWIRE (2 yrs).

You may be seeing slightly different rates than I am when searching HOTWIRE, but I am seeing:

4.5* Mag Mile-RN Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Pet Friendly $149.

-- This is likely the Westin River North. Terrific, lovely hotel right on the river. Centrally located in the city as a whole. Not that far from the state and lake "L" stop. Additionally, you've already bid up to $190 and change on PRICELINE. If you took this, that's a lot of difference that could be used for cab rides and a number of other things.

4* Mag Mile N-WT Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly $163.

-- This is a possible match for the Public. I would rather suggest the Westin RN above which I think is an excellent deal. However, the Public is in the Gold Coast area a few minutes walk North of the top end of the Michigan Ave area. It is not centrally located in the city as a whole. HOWEVER, it is not that far (would be a quick cab ride) from Lincoln Park and Lincoln Park Zoo. There is also a subway stop a few blocks away.

Also, in terms of bidding/PRICELINE, I see a 4.5* in the River North-NMA area on PRICELINE EXPRESS for $173 with pool and other amenities, which I'm guessing is the Intercontinental. I would much rather suggest the potential Westin River North on HOTWIRE, but in terms of where you've bid to, there's a 4.5* on the PRICELINE EXPRESS side for $173..

For the HOTWIRE listings, you may need to click on the listing, then click book now, then "see all amenities" on the next page to see all the amenities.

Also, I'd be more than happy to offer directions, restaurant recommendations and answer any city questions.

Definitely let me know if you have any questions before booking. I'd be happy to also offer other suggestions as there are other options within your price range, but I wanted to try to offer lower priced options versus offering options more towards the top end of your budget.

The Children's Museum at Navy Pier is popular with families, but I'm not a fan of Navy Pier otherwise, which is undergoing some renovation but I think still remains a tourist trap. What I often recommend to families is the combo of Lincoln Park Zoo (free), Farm in the Zoo (free, attached to the zoo) and the Notabert Nature Museum (admission, about two blocks North of the North entrance of the zoo.)

I have also been impressed with what has been done with Millennium Park. I don't find the bean (the giant reflecting orb) that compelling, but they have created a beautiful garden near the art institute and for families, there is a gigantic newer playground (http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/maggie-daley-park/.)

If you are driving, there are some terrific family-friendly activities in the North Burbs (Kohl Children's Museum, Wagner Farm, the Chicago Botanic Gardens), but these aren't really accessible without a car.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

We went ahead with the $173 a night (I was gambling to get the Intercontinental...the pool looks incredible), but it was actually the Omni hotel. It looks like it will be a fine fit for us--thanks so much! And thanks for all the recommendations. Maybe we'll skip Navy Pier and do some of the other things on your list! Restaurant suggestions are more than welcome--we're adventurous eaters. :)

Congratulations on your success!

While not the hotel you were expecting, hope you're pleased with the hotel and deal you received and this will work equally well for your needs.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I thought I saw an indicator in the fine print that lead me to believe that this was the IC when I looked this up earlier, but hey, this is actually way better.

Not only are you in a better location in terms of what you are looking for (this is an easy walk to the Chicago/State red line station), but this is an all-suite property, so bigger room. Plus, awesome location right on Michigan Ave and the Omni was recently renovated.

I haven't done it, but I believe the IC offers audio tours of the property if you are interested. You can inquire at the concierge desk. The IC pool (which is an olympic lap pool) is remarkable, but the Omni is a nicer property.

Plus, there is a Whole Foods a few blocks East.

They also do have cribs available at this property, you may want to call ahead to have them indicate that on the reservation.

So glad you are looking forward to the hotel. I think the Intercontinental does have a cool history, but the Omni is a nicer overall hotel, plus larger rooms (which is always a plus), more modern and shorter walk to the subway. 

Ultimately, you have a lot of time and I think you can get a lot done while not having to rush.

Navy Pier does offer the Children's Museum and that is worthwhile, I just think that (unfortunately), the rest of the Pier (aside from the nice views) really isn't. Much of what you can find on the pier (souvenirs, McDonalds) are the kind of thing you can find elsewhere. They are in the midst of renovating the pier in an attempt to bring it up-to-date, but little of that was done when I went there a few weeks ago. One minor note about the Pier, if you walk through the interior section, about midway through, there is a stunning stained glass museum. It is completely randomly placed and really out of place at the pier, but if you happen to be at the pier, it is one of the Pier's few  pluses. 

Shedd Aquarium has gotten a little expensive, but it is still a terrific choice. I would recommend getting there early and perhaps starting the day with it. I love it when there's not a lot of people there; in the Summer, when it gets busy, I don't think it's as enjoyable when there's a ton of people and it's more difficult to get close to exhibits. The Field Museum is right next door and you can head there while you are already next door for the Shedd.

The way that I have tended to get from the Michigan Ave area to the Museum Campus is taking the Red Line half way and walking the rest. You can head to the subway at Chicago and State and take the Red Line south to Harrison. At Harrison, walk one block North to Congress. Walk East on Congress until you reach Columbus Drive. Across the street is Buckingham Fountain. Walk past the fountain to Lake Shore Drive. Cross Lakeshore Drive at the light. Once you are on the other side, you are at the lakefront and can then enjoy the walk right along the lake the remaining distance.

The Water Tower Mall has a rather unusual food court - it's called FoodLife and is run by boutique restaurant company Lettuce Entertain You. Rather than a collection of commonly seen chains, the food court is a collection of various kitchens. You take a card and go around and can get a little of this, a little of that and then pay in one spot.. Definitely a family-friendly option.

If you wanted to, I think you could fit in the Museum of Science and Industry, which is South of the city. That is an absolutely marvelous, highly interactive museum that I think unfortunately tourists may not get to because it's not terribly convenient to downtown. It's a large museum and you can take the Metra Electric Line from the Millennium Park station to the 57th Street Station, then walk a couple of blocks East. (http://www.msichicago.org/)

The Lincoln Park Zoo is fantastic and free. You can go to the nearest Red Line station at Chicago/State and take the subway North to Fullerton, then walk East. However, the walk from the Fullerton station East to LPZ is fairly lengthy (although nice). The 151 bus can be had on Michigan Ave right by your hotel and that will take you right to the Zoo. The Notabert Museum is a couple of blocks North of the top end of the Zoo and the live butterfly exhibit there is well worth seeing.

The Wendella and CAF Boat Tours leave from opposite corners of the Michigan Ave. bridge. However, there are also the Water Taxis (http://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/maps-schedules/), which are significantly cheaper but don't offer a guided tour. Great way to get to the Chinatown area.

There is a Farmers Market in the Gold Coast not too far North of your hotel on Saturday mornings - even if you don't get anything, it's actually a very nice market to browse around. They do close the street (Dearborn, between Clark and State), which is fun. There is also a major farmers market in Lincoln Park near the Farm in the Zoo on Wednesday/Saturday (http://www.greencitymarket.org/) complete with chef demonstrations. Legendary chef Rick Bayless (http://www.greencitymarket.org/calendar/event.asp?id=876, Frontera Grill, "Top Chef: Masters") will be giving a demo during your stay on 6/6 and I'm sure there will be a considerable crowd for one of the city's most famed chefs.

In terms of restaurants, I mentioned the FoodLife food court above as a "family-friendly" option not far from your hotel.

In terms of pizza, people are very much all about deep dish in terms of Chicago. It's fine, but personally, it often seems to be more about quantity than quality and if you're exploring the city, deep dish sits heavy. If you do want to try deep dish, I'd rather suggest Giordanos, which is on Rush close to your hotel - or Lou Malnati's, which has a location not that far North of your hotel on Rush in the Gold Coast area.

In terms of thin crust, I really do like La Madia (http://www.yelp.com/biz/osteria-la-madia-chicago), which is a tad expensive but really high quality ingredients, great flavor and a really nice atmosphere. If you can go on an off time, it should be a fairly quiet stop.

South Water Kitchen at the Monaco Hotel just a bit South/SW of the river is not a bad choice and it is family-friendly.

Yolk (http://www.yelp.com/biz/yolk-chicago-8) is a great breakfast option a little closer to your hotel vs Wildberry listed below.

Hendrickx Belgian Bread (http://www.yelp.com/biz/hendrickx-belgian-bread-crafter-chicago), which is right off Michigan Ave - it's a tiny little place and primarily a bakery, but they do have more of a menu than just bakery items.

Xoco (http://www.yelp.com/biz/xoco-chicago) is a casual option from famed Fronterra Grill chef Rick Bayless.

North Pond (http://www.yelp.com/biz/north-pond-chicago?) Beautiful high-end option in a lovely setting by the pond near Lincoln Park Zoo.

Wildberry (http://www.yelp.com/biz/wildberry-pancakes-and-cafe-chicago-2) Traditional pancakes-style breakfast place - on the way to the Art Institute/Millennium Park if you are heading in that direction.

Chicago Raw (http://www.yelp.com/biz/chicago-raw-chicago) Creative, enjoyable vegan restaurant by the river in the Loop. However, Raw now actually has a newer River North location and a stand in the new Whole Foods market in the Streeterville area (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/streeterville.) That particular WF used to be a Dominicks Grocery and went in there a few weeks ago - really quite impressed that they basically did a top-to-bottom remodel and included some very nice additions, including the RAW stand and other elements, like a Ramen bar.

The WF store closer to your hotel is a smaller WF but a very nice one. It couldn't be easier to get to. The front entrance of your hotel is on Huron, off Michigan ave. Walk West on Huron a few blocks and the WF is on the right side of the street, can't miss it. Half a block further West is another RAW location on the other side of the street.

Kendall Dining Room (http://www.kendall.edu/taste-of-kendall/fine-dining-restaurant/http://www.yelp.com/biz/kendall-college-the-dining-room-chicago) This is basically the training ground for Kendall College, which is a very highly respected culinary college in the city. Basically, this is a high-end dining experience that's very reasonably priced because it's acting effectively as a training facility. I'd call for reservations.

Additionally, a short walk North of your hotel is  a "Starbucks alternative" that I like - the Capital One 360 Cafe (http://www.yelp.com/...-café-chicago-2). It's actually a cross between a bank branch (although they do not try to sell you on anything) and a Starbucks. Bright, open, welcoming, reasonable prices and pretty decent coffee. Across the street of it is a beautiful greenhouse-like structure that is an Argo Tea stand that they set up in a local park.

Let me know a little more about what you are looking for in terms of likes/dislikes/atmosphere/etc and I'd be happy to offer more suggestions in terms of restaurants and sights.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]