Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Lincoln Park) Hotel Lincoln

epbx
By epbx,
in

Hello,

I've never bid on Priceline before so looking for some advice.  I'll be travelling to Chicago in August and had my eye on Hotel Lincoln.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's the only 4* hotel in the Lincoln Park neighborhood that Priceline offers according to the hotel list.  Before I start bidding, I just wanted to see what your thoughts are on my strategy and if anyone has any advice.  First off, I see that someone booked Hotel Lincoln for $80 a night back in March.  I'm assuming I won't get as great a deal in August, but I figured $80 would be a good starting point anyway.  From there, I was thinking about either waiting two hours and bumping up my bid $5 and then repeating until I win or possibly select another neighborhood without any 4* hotels and trying immediately.  What do you think?

One other question.  Could someone that landed Hotel Lincoln on Priceline through bidding or a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal let me know what you got for a room type?  I see that the cheapeast rooms appear to have queen beds, which will work just fine as I'll be travelling with my wife and really don't want to get stuck with two doubles.  Thanks.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The one issue that I do have with Lincoln Park and bidding is that the lack of hotels (there's maybe 6 in all) in comparison to downtown often does result in lesser deals versus downtown where there's more competition. Additionally, the other issue with Lincoln Park is the summer is that if there is a Cubs game, hotels in Lincoln Park often do fill up/are more expensive.

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay? I definitely recommend Lincoln Park - it's a great area - but if hotels are cheaper downtown I tend to recommend downtown (and then it's so easy to take the "L" up to LP.) If downtown offered better deals/rates, would you be interested in staying downtown instead?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I'm certainly open to other areas, but this looked like it'd probably be my best bet.  Right now, there's a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal on Pricleine for a hotel that's almost certainly Hotel Lincoln for $119 a night, which is about my budget.  That was cheaper than just about every other hotel with the exception of those in the airport areas.

An example for these dates on HOTWIRE.

When searching for 2 adults, I see a 4* for $150 in Lincoln Park (you may see a slightly different price) w/:

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Deaf Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

--- This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but my guess would be the Hotel Lincoln with a slightly (just the addition of boutique as an amenity) different amenity set than it has been previously seen with.

However, for about the same price there is a 4.5* in the Mag Mile N-Water Tower area w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Pet Friendly. 

-- This is likely the Thompson, which is in the Gold Coast. If you don't mind a moderate walk, it's a pleasant walk North from here to get to Lincoln Park.

Also for about the same price is a 4.5* in the Mag Mile-RN area w/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Pet Friendly.

-- This is likely the Westin River North, which is quite a nice hotel.

$169 4* Mag Mile-RN Fitness, Complimentary Breakfast, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely the Kinzie, which is a very nice hotel - a bit more expensive but free breakfast.

I also see what appears to be the Wyndham Grand Riverfront for $140 (again, you may see a slightly different price.)

Lincoln Park doesn't seem as bad as it sometimes does vs downtown for these dates, but I think you can get a bit more hotel for the money downtown in terms of what Hot.wire is offering.

PRICELINE EXPRESS listings for these dates are a bit cheaper and there is a 4* in Lincoln Park for $119. That listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board; I'd guess it may be a new amenity set for the Lincoln.

There is a 4* Bed and Breakfast in Lincoln Park on PRICELINE, but I'd be very surprised to see that as a win on either the bidding or Express deals side.

Please let me know if you have any questions (city or hotel) before booking.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

As noted at the top of all of the hotel lists, the lists are just what has been reported to the board and things can change at any time. Changes ( star rating, amenity set details for PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE, new hotels) come in almost every day.

The Lincoln has been reported to the board previously on PRICELINE EXPRESS at the 4* level, but with a different list of amenities. My guess is that this is the Lincoln with a slightly different list of amenities than it was previously reported with.

If you search on the retail side of PRICELINE for these dates in Lincoln Park, there is a B & B rated 4*, but I'm quite doubtful that the PRICELINE EXPRESS listing is that. I'd guess it is far more likely the Lincoln with a different amenity set.

Thanks, you've been really helpful.  The fact that Hotel Lincoln and the B&B are the only two 4* hotels in the Lincoln Park neighborhood listed on Price.line, there's pretty much no way I'd get another hotel via the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal or bidding, right?  If that's the case, really can't go wrong either way.  If the Express Deal price is $120 right now, any thoughts on how low I might be able to get that by bidding?

The fact that Hotel Lincoln and the B&B are the only two 4* hotels in the Lincoln Park neighborhood listed on PRICELINE, there's pretty much no way I'd get another hotel via the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal or bidding, right?

Nope... all three sides of PRICELINE (bidding, PRICELINE EXPRESS, and retail) all use a different universe of hotels. There are some properties which participate with one part of their service but not another, so you can't use the retail listings to determine the possibilities when bidding.

With the above noted, if the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer you're seeing shows:

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Free Internet

Business Center

... then my best guess for this one would be the Hotel Lincoln.

If you want to try bidding first (for any 4* hotel in the zone, let us know how high you're willing to bid before you would just as soon take the $119 PRICELINE EXPRESS offer and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 4* in Chicago you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Lincoln Park...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110

Any questions (especially confirming your re-bid zones if you're unsure and/or new to the subject) feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you're happy with the $119 PRICELINE EXPRESS price, what if it takes you 10+ hours to bid and that offer disappears (or goes up in price) in the meantime... then what option(s) do you have?

If you're going to wait 2 hours between bids i would start somewhere between $90-$100 and go up by $5's.

Good luck!

Given that HOTWIRE is offering what strongly appears to be the Lincoln for $149 and what appears to be the Lincoln is showing on PRICELINE EXPRESS for $119, the spread between PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE is usually not quite that wide. While the HOTWIRE price could come down, the PRICELINE EXPRESS listing could just as easily move higher.

If you are interested in the Lincoln and want to try and bid, I would not take too long - if you do bid and $110 isn't accepted, I'd just take the PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal.

Air and Water Show is the 15th/16th. Not saying that will add to rates during your stay, but just offering it as an idea if you're looking for something to do on the 15th. If you stay at the Lincoln, it's easy to get to North Ave beach to see that show.

Congrats on your success. :)

Hey $31 could certainly be a nice meal somewhere. Great deal for this property which is in a terrific location in Lincoln Park, which is certainly a great area. Let me know if you have any city questions.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]