Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Empire State Building) The Marcel At Gramercy Park

hunujuk
By hunujuk,
in

Hi,

I'm going to visit NY from 7th~12th December after 3 night trip from Las Vegas with my friend. (total 2 persons) 

This is my first time doing priceline bidding, so I need an advice.

1) Is it too early to bid? if yes, when is the best time for me to bid?

2) Our budget is around $145/night. we stay 5 nights so total budget would be around $900 including tax and everything.

3) We want to stay inside Manhattan. (we don't want to stay in long island city, brooklyn or any other places outside Manhattan)

is it possible in this budget? Could you recommend bidding strategy and locations inside Manhattan?

4) Is a 4* hotel for this budget unrealistic?

I will wait for your response.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Jae

Welcome to BetterBidding!

1) Is it too early to bid? if yes, when is the best time for me to bid?

It's never too early to bid, as long as you don't overbid. However (see below), your $145/nite budget is not likely realistic for a 4* hotel for this date range, so any risk of overbidding at this point in time is extremely low.

2) Our budget is around $145/night. we stay 5 nights so total budget would be around $900 including tax and everything.

This is the end of peak season in NYC and your budget will not likely be enough for a 4* hotel for these dates. You would more likely need to be in the $200 area for a 4* hotel, $165 for a 3* property, or a 2*/2.5* to be within your $145 budget.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you would like to proceed and we will take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I see so I need to raise my budget to stay in 4* or even 3* hotel in Manhattan.

I will try to raise my budget a bit more and try again.

Another question for me is which area is good place to bid.

I tried MTE, MTW, TS, ESB and MSG.

(I heard upper east or west area has bad reputation for hotel's quality and so on.)

Which area do you recommend the most to bid? 

and also, I heard it is hard to get 5 consecutive nights in bidding.

do I have to separate 5 nights into two and bid separately?

thank you for your kind response!

If you let us know your new maximum bid price and desired star rating we will have a look at rates for your dates and suggested zones, as well as a bidding strategy, to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, 

because you told me that it needs to be $200 area for *4 hotel in Manhattan,

my new maximum budget will be $220/night/1 room.

so total maximum amount including tax and all that must be below $1350/5 nights/1 room.

my desired star rating is 4*

Thank you so much!

All of the zones you've listed above are 'good' (MTE, MTW, TS, ESB and MSG) but i will add two comments:

MTE - most 4* hotels are well located, but a few can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, so you need to determine if this would be acceptable to you or not

Chelsea - some hotels can be up to a 10 minute walk to the subway, but this is a very 'hot' and desirable area right now (lots of cafes, restaurants, boutiques, clubs, etc) so it is still a frequently bid zone

Please confirm your acceptable zones and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

15 mins...I heard NY's winter is pretty harsh, but maybe 15 mins is fine if hotel is good.

but I am not sure if that 15 mins from subway means that those hotels are located in dangerous or isolated area.

if that's not the case, I think it is acceptable.

Chelsea is acceptable, but I would prefer midtown area or areas close to midtown if those zones are good as you said!

Thank you so much!

The MTE area is fine, but i think you can get something within your budget and not 15 minutes from the subway, so my recommendation would be to exclude this zone at this point in time... if the only thing available within your budget was 15 minutes from the subway then it would be acceptable, but as you do have other options within your budget, i would exclude at the moment. As well, although i like Chelsea, you seem to have it as a 'second choice' so i will exclude that now as well. (if you want to include either/both you can simply add either/both to each line of the bidding strategy below)...

When bidding 4* in NYC you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW and TS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB and MSG...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW and ESB...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and MSG...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW and MSG...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and ESB...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, MSG...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205

If the above is rejected, there is this 4 star Empire State Building hotel for $207/nite (confirm your dates on the landing page). There are no amenities showing so it's hard to have a good guess, but i think it might be the The Marcel at Gramercy Park.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

ok, 

so in this case, my re-bid zone is (4) coney island / (7) Greenpoint-Williamburg / (15) Morning Side Heights, right?

I'm bidding with these re-bid zone right now, and just want to be confirmed if these are correct!

and also, I want to know what the hotel fee is.

Whenever I add MSG zone on my list, it shows up hotel fee ($120) in total amount.

is it mandatory fee that I have to pay?

Yes, you have your re-bid zones correct, but always double check just before bidding to make sure nothing has changed since you last looked.

The 'resort fee' showing when adding the MSG zone is the maximum fee that that you would need to pay directly to a hotel if the hotel you receive charges a resort fee. Most hotels in NYC don't charge resort fees, but an increasing number have started to, so PRICELINE is showing you the most it would cost you should you win a hotel that has a resort fee.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

I won The Marcel At Gramercy Park in ESB area.

it was $203/nite and total amount was $1250.25 for 5 consecutive nights including taxes and all that.

(Priceline says I saved 39%.)

I think I will contact them soon to have 2 separate beds. (I'm not sure if this is even possible for bid, but anyways)

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Congrats on your success. :)

First-rate win for this NYC property and hope you are looking forward to your stay. Two beds is very difficult in NYC, especially when it comes to bidding. If you need more than one bed, I'd suggest calling soon and trying to negotiate something with the hotel.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]