Priceline Hotel: NYC-June with child

guysmom
By guysmom,
in

My husband and myself are taking our 10 y/o son to NYC for the first time in June.  We are not sure exactly which area to stay for traditional tourist/sightseeing activities, that will also provide a reasonable rate. We don't plan to be in our room often (good with walking and subway), but would like a clean place to sleep and shower.  I have used Price.line bidding for other smaller cities before with good results, but didn't know what to expect with bidding for a bigger city.  Suggestions on where to stay, and what to bid? The travel dates are June 5 -June 9.  So many areas to choose from, and I don't have a clue...

Many thanks for your help!

Welcome to BetterBidding :)

We are not sure exactly which area to stay for traditional tourist/sightseeing activities, that will also provide a reasonable rate

We would be happy to help you with this stay. June is a busy month for NYC so we need to now your budget/night before tax/fee's and also what star rating for the hotel you have in mind?

My husband and myself are taking our 10 y/o son

I can see that you have used PRICELINE before but I want to point out that NYC is famous for small rooms so don't expect a room with two beds. But you might know that PRICELINE and PRICELINE EXPRESS only guarantees double occupancy, after that is at the discretion of the hotel.

Let us know and we'll go from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Yellowdog.

Ps. Feel free to post your previous PRICELINE wins in separate threads, it's good for the boards history.

My husband and myself are taking our 10 y/o son

The issue is that in NYC hotels have a high percentage of rooms with only one bed, and rooms with two beds are often considered an upgrade from standard. As well, rooms are smaller than in most other parts of the country and many rooms don't even have enough space to accommodate a rollaway (many hotels in NYC don't even carry them, not just due to room size, but also do to limited storage space).

While it may be worth taking a risk and booking thru PRICELINE in an area such as Orlando (which is used to accommodating families and hotels have a high percentage of standard rooms that can accommodate up to quad occupancy), in NYC it is recommended that you use HOTWIRE where you indicate the number of guests in the room and HOTWIRE guarantees accommodations for everyone you include in your search.

Let us know your thoughts on the above, as well as your expected budget (per nite before fees/taxes), and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I see what appears to be the Holiday Inn Midtown on Hot.wire for $175 (you may see a slightly different price) on Hot.wire.

Would this be of interest? There aren't any cheaper Midtown listings when searching for 2 adults/1 child for these dates.

Thank you for this information! After reading this I did review the information on bidding and room requests and see that Priceline reports that it is up to the hotels discretion for whether they will accept room requests. I do see that as a gamble, so to speak as I don't think a queen would work. Of course two doubles would be our preference. As far as star rating I'm thinking 3*s up for safety and cleanliness. I did see a location at Comfort Inn Times Square West for $269 per night plus taxes and fees at another site.  I would really like to beat that price because the money could be better spent on activities.  Would $200 be reasonable?

Thanks again!

Amy

I see what appears to be the Holiday Inn Midtown on HOTWIRE for $175 (you may see a slightly different price) on HOTWIRE.

Would this be of interest? There aren't any cheaper Midtown listings when searching for 2 adults/1 child for these dates.

Thank you for this suggestion!

Thank you for this suggestion!

I looked at Hotwire as you suggested (I should probably use that thread...) I did see a hotel to accommodate 3 in MSG-Hell's Kitchen with 100% reviews, 3* at $190 a night.  They offer free breakfast which makes me think it could be a Choice hotel or something such as that.  Good area for a kid? Of course a 10 y/o boy likes the name "Hell's Kitchen"-lol. 

Please confirm the amenities you are seeing with the 3* MSG.

If you do stay in that area, fairly quick walk to the Intrepid Air/Space Museum, which I think is one of the most underrated and memorable sights in NYC. It's a genuinely unique experience to be able to go on an enormous aircraft carrier on the river in NYC, with planes on the flight deck. It's truly an awesome experience and would be at the top of my list of things to see/do if I was going to NYC tomorrow.

The amenities state:  Free Breakfast, Pet Friendly and Smoke Free Rooms. TripAdvisor gave it 4 out of 5.

Did you search for 2 adults + 1 child? Don't you see more amenities?

Please run a new search using our BiddingHelper.com tool at the top of this page. Once the search is completed, use the EASY VIEW TAB and click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing to view the complete set of amenities

This is what I see when I replicate your dates and search for 2 adults + 1 child,

Complimentary Breakfast

Free Internet

Fitness

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

If this is what you see would my guess be Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help. 

Yellowdog.

I did see a location at Comfort Inn Times Square West for $269 per night plus taxes and fees...

Remember that 'beating a deal' can be done in two different ways:

1) lower price for the same quality hotel

2) same price for a better quality hotel

For example, i'm seeing on HOTWIRE what appears to be the Novotel Times Square and The Warwick for ~$250/nite, which are just about the same price as the Comfort Inn you reference, but are higher rated both in terms of star rating and user reviews (both of these have a 4.5/5.0 TA rating)

I will add that the Holiday Inn Express West Side is not really that well located in terms of subway access... i would prefer to stay somewhere more centrally located, especially with a 10 year old as you may want to return to the hotel a few times throughout the day.

Are you willing to pay more for a better and more centrally located hotel OR is the goal the last expensive hotel that meets your needs for this trip?

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]