Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown West) New York Hilton Midtown

edono2
By edono2,
in

Great site, thanks for all the info on here and have read quite a few posts so somewhat informed but need a bidding strategy (or other suggestions) for a 4* or above, for May 1 to 4.  I need second room too (or maybe a suite if you've got a trick) the second only being for May 1, maybe May 2.  Looking in the MTE/MTW/Theatre areas but open to suggestion - most activity will take place in Midtown.  Since I need 2, obviously savings are an issue but can go up to the $200 for the longer room and could get a less expensive place for the other.  So I need some help with a bidding strategy, should I just bid for the one night room first or go for the longer stay first.  Looking at prices thought I might start with a try at $150ish for a 4 1/2 or $130 for a 4, and if get something good go again on the second room, any thoughts or suggestions? (Yea might be a pipe dream for F/S/Sun)  What do you think about the Sofitel, worth the $200ish price on hotwire?  If you know, I assume bids don't include the little extra "resort" fees some charge?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages (which will also remove the red box at the top of the page and make the board easier to navigate)

When will you know the exact dates of the shorter stay? Do both rooms need to be at the same hotel? Would it be OK if the longer stay room was at two different hotels?

Let us know the above and we will then have a look at your options.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Probably just book the short stay room just for one night and no both hotels don't have to same though of course would be nice but not a deal breaker.  The 3 day I'd rather not have broken up, rather not have to move of course.  Really, my options are completely open, just want a nice place for the longer room without breaking the vacation bank.  Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in replying...

A 4* within your budget shouldn't be an issue, but here is some zone information to consider:

MTW, TS, MSG --> at the 4* level all generally considered well located and convenient to mass transit

MTE --> most hotels are well located, but a few can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?

CPS --> well located but contains the Hudson Hotel which has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards), would this be acceptable?

Chelsea --> a few hotels can be up to a 10 minute walk to the subway, but this is a 'HOT' area right now with lots of cafes, bars, restaurants, boutiques, etc. so it is still considered to be a very desirable location

A walk to the subway isn't as much of a big deal in May as it is in Jan/Feb, but depends how flexible you're willing to be in terms of convenience vs. including the most zones to get the lowest possible price.

Let us know your thoughts regarding which zones you'd like to include in your bidding and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply, no worries on the delay, appreciate your help, this site has been very helpful to me over the years though this is the first time I've actually asked a question.  And for those later reading this, I go through the Hot.wire and PRICELINE links on here, works really well.

OK, the main goal for longer room is to be somewhere within walking distance (a mile) of Central Park/Theatre Dist, east or west.  So for the PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals I'm seeing what I assume is the 4 1/2 Sofitel for $212 which might work well, or west for the Sheraton? or any of the 4* brand hotels (Hilton, etc) that are showing up.  What's interesting on the Sofitel is it seems its dropping significantly on Sunday to $115, or at least I think that's it, maybe something different.  So my thought is to start around $130 for a 4 or above in Midtown East/West and Theatre Dist, adding districts as necessary.

Would prefer to stay away from the Hudson if possible.  Chelsea/SoHo area would be ok if I ended up there, 10-20 min walk to subway is no issue or can cab to theatre Sat night, and I agree that area is hot, great place to stay with all the attractions you mentioned, but for this trip probably better a little closer to midtown. I usually stay down at the Duane Street Hotel when I'm in for business in Tribeca so familiar with that and Chelsea areas but ideally probably too south all things considered.

Any other info needed?  Thanks for your help.

Oh, and a quick question I forgot, do you think its better to try to book both rooms at once, is there an extend or extra days option with priceline bidding? or just book one for one night, see what I get, and then try to get the same deal with the 3 night room (although I know there is a Saturday involved when prices are significantly higher though that may even out with the Sunday night stay to what are basically the Friday night rates, if you know what I mean)

...this site has been very helpful to me over the years though this is the first time I've actually asked a question.

Glad to hear the board has been helpful to you and thank you for using the board links, but please also begin to share all your wins with the board so that others can benefit from the information, just as you have benefited from this who have posted before you.

What's interesting on the Sofitel is it seems its dropping significantly on Sunday to $115...

For the most part Sunday is the slowest nite of the week for the hotel industry, and this is especially true for NYC. The tourists have gone home and the business travelers have not yet arrived, so hotel rates for a solo Sunday nite in NYC are usually the least expensive and great deals can often be had as hotels try to fill empty rooms.

So my thought is to start around $130 for a 4 or above in Midtown East/West and Theatre Dist...

Just let us know which zone(s) you'd like to include in your first round of bidding, and up to what maximum bid price, and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

...do you think its better to try to book both rooms at once, is there an extend or extra days option with priceline bidding?

Price.line has an 'extend your stay' option but it wouldn't work for your needs since:

1) you must expend all rooms booked on the same reservation

2) you can only extend up to the same number of nites as the original booking

If you want both rooms to be at the same hotel you have two choices:

1) book two rooms for 5/1-5/2 and one room for 5/2-5/4, which the understanding that the second room may be at a different hotel than the first (and you would need to change properties)

2) use PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE and see if what appears to be the same hotel (based upon the star rating, amenities, and any other information provided) appears for both date ranges that you need, purchase one room and then hope the same property still appears when you immediately go to purchase the second room

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll go from there.

For my first bid was planing on just midtown east, then add as necessary Theatre District, MTW, Chelsea, then MSG/Hell's Kitchen and add other areas as need be.  Certainly open to suggestion though.  Price max is whatever is lowest available under ExpressDeals, so probably $175-200 range.

Thinking and researching this a little more, perhaps I'll start with Times Sq zone first, it seems the central area for what we have in mind.  So my thought is to start there with a 4.5 bid of $170, then go to 4s around $150 and then the other zones as I stated before. If I can get one, then maybe hit HW express deals or PL  to see if I can get the same thing or try to get lucky with a follow up bid.  Hope that helps narrow it a bit better and thanks for your suggestions.

You can do better than your proposed bidding approach, but you first need to decide:

1) are you willing to pay more for a 4.5* vs. a 4* OR is your goal the least expensive 4* or better

2) are you willing to pay more to stay in the Times Square zone OR is the goal the least expensive hotel in any of your acceptable zones?

Once you decide upon the above, which star rating do you want to try for first? What is your maximum bid at this star rating? Which zones are you willing to accept up to this maximum price and star rating (before consider other zones/star ratings?)

Let us know the information above and we'll advise accordingly.

Thanks for the reply. While probably impossible to guarantee with bidding, my first priority would be both rooms in same hotel, next price, then zone in Times Sq followed by Midtown C, E, W.  If you think the difference in price for 4 vs 4.5 is only $20 or $30/nt, I'd take the 4.5 as there will be fewer 4.5s and maybe? a higher likelihood of getting same hotel in 2nd bidding or thru E.D./HW.  Ultimately if you think I can get a 4 for say $130 in Midtown I'd go that way for bidding, but if you think $150 for a 4.5 would start there.  Does that make sense and help?  TIA

...my first priority would be both rooms in same hotel, next price, then zone in Times Sq followed by Midtown C, E, W.

...yes, would pay more for Times Sq (saves taxi) or better hotel...

Not really clear as i think the above is contradictory... eliminating the desire for both hotels to be in the same hotel, the first post indicates price is most important... the second indicates location in Times Square is more important.

Let me try to give a rough guestimate of what i think i'm seeing, then you can let us know what you would like to try for first:

4.5* Times Square ($$$$$ read: big bucks)

4.5* most Midtown locations ~$225-$250

4* Times Square ($215 area)

4* most Midtown locations ($175 area depending upon zones)

I'll also add that from the first quote above, if getting the same hotel for both purchases is indeed a top priority (and more so than price and/or location), this could likely be done via PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE.

Let us know the information above and we'll take it from there.

I'm sorry, don't mean to be confusing.  Let me say it differently.  Yes, I'm seeing the same prices you are on priceline/hotwire, but I'll also see on HW ED a 4.5 for $212 in MT Central which I believe is the Sofitel that's what I'd target first, unfortunately PL doesn't appear to have such a zone so not sure if that's possible.  Otherwise, cheapest price for a 4 in Times Sq. to start

If this is the Sofitel you are referring to, it is 4.5* rated and located in PRICELINE's Midtown West zone.

If you'd like to first try for any[ any 4.5* hotel in the MTW zone, how high are you willing to bid before adding other zones and/or lowering your star rating?

I don't think that $175 will be enough, but if you want to give it a try:

When bidding 4.5* in NYC you have ELEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4.5* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175

Any questions feel free to ask.

If the above is rejected, do you then want to try bidding other zones at the 4.5* level up to $175 (or some other figure)... or do you then want to try for a 4* hotel? If trying for a 4*, are you only bidding MTW or including other zones as well... and to what maximum bid should be go up to?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Would like to confirm my rebid zones for the 4.5 Sofitel, which I assume PL treats as a 5*?.  I re-read the re-bidding post and comments but didn't see this answer - I assume I use the Zone List from Express Deals - as opposed to PLs List View page, because I notice the zones are named a bit different, like the Bronx isn't listed in ED.  So if I have this right for the 4.5 my 11 re-bid zones are Chelsea, Coney Island, Greenpoint, Hell's Kitchen, Lower East Side, MSG, Midtown West, Queensbourough Bridge, Union Sq and Upper East Side.  And if I'm going for the 4* I will have 4 rebid zones which would be Times Sq, Coney Island, Greenpoint and Hell's Kitchen. And so rebid approach for $140 for Times Sq 4*  maybe $110 TSq, $120 TSq + CI, close browser, $130 TSq + Grnpt, close browser; $140 TSq + HK

Did I get that correct?  Really appreciate all your help.

To determine your re-bid zones you use PRICELINE bidding page.

Try the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter your city and dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Got it!  I think ))  Sorry, may be a slow learner but your patience is appreciated. So if I have this right here are my re-bid zones to confirm:

4.5 - Brooklyn, Coney Is, Gr. Pt, Greenwich, Hell's Kit, LI City, MSG, M. Hts/Harlem, Qnsbr Bridge, Union Sq and UWS  (11)

4 - Coney, Gr Pt. & M. Hts 

Yes!!!!  I thought I understood the bidding process, but need some refinement, thanks for the lesson and time.  Last question, what is your suggestion for where I start on the 4*, I see today on ED what looks like TS Hilton for $199, maybe $130? in increments of $5 or ?  I have time to retry tomorrow if it doesn't work.  Thanks again for all your help, will advise the board of what happens.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]