Hotwire Hotel: Help ID: 3* John F. Kennedy Intl Airport JFK - Jamaica

i_love_vacations
By i_love_vacations,
in

Hey guys,

Used the BiddingHelper.com.com sister site to get the following info:

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Fitness center, Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access

Listed as $78.00 USD checking in for 1 night on Sept 9. 

Travelling with my family from a Long Haul flight from New Delhi India to Toronto Canada, however the flight lands at JFK at 8:45pm, but the flight from JFK to Toronto I have an option to either take the 6:55am flight the next morning or the 10:30am flight. So I can either "chill at the airport" over night, or get a room. I was leaning towards a room, but is there anything to do at JFK where we wouldn't need a room and can just catch the 6:55am flight? Considering it'll take about 1-1.5 hrs to leave JFK, another 30 mins to possibly get to and check in at the hotel, 30 mins to check out and leave, and at least 2 hours to check in at the airport again....that's already about 4-5 hrs or half the time between flights if we go for the 6:55am flight. (The long haul portion from DEL to JFK is already booked)

Also thinking of avoiding the hotel as I heard airport hotels are sketchy unless you really want to pay for them...Any suggestions on what this one might be?

How many rooms/adults/children are you including in your search?

There is not much of anything to do around JFK (especially during the overnite hours)... the only viable option (imo) to to head to Manhattan where, with a little effort, you could find things to do 24/7. However, not sure what your options are in terms of checking your bags thru to the next flight, as you would not want to be lugging them around Manhattan. Also, you would do this more for the 'NYC Experience' as you won't end up saving money given the taxi/train (LIRR) fare to NYC for your family (the subway is a cheap option which would make it more affordable, but it's not a subway route i would recommend taking the hours you will likely be traveling.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I included only 2 adults in the search, I figured I could get a 2 double bed room which is good for 4 people. 

Our itinerary from Toronto to JFK and back is separate from JFK to DEL (Just got a really good deal). I'm not sure how early I would be able to check in the baggage for the toronto bound flight. Will be arriving to JFK on Emirates and departing to Toronto on Air Canada.

I included only 2 adults in the search, I figured I could get a 2 double bed room which is good for 4 people.

I don't think it's a safe assumption that you will be able to get a room with two double beds... you may able to, but this is a risky assumption in the NYC-metro area.

Is this a risk you're willing to accept? If not, you would best to search HOTWIRE for the correct number of adults/children OR choose a PRICELINE EXPRESS offer that shows a 'Bed Choice' that will work for your family.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

A guess would be the Comfort Inn Jamaica... but as i'm not too confident in this guess, i think the risk you would be accepting increases since, even if you did call this hotel and they said 'no problem' getting a room with two beds, this could be some other property. As well (and an example of why the NYC-metro area is a bit riskier than most in seeking quad occupancy), if you go to the Comfort Inn website you'll see that this property charge more for a room with two beds vs. a room with one bed (even when only searching for 2adults)

There are many areas where quad occupancy is usually not a problem... and others where it is often not recommended; this is one of those areas where it is not recommended (and i would spring for the extra $15/nite by booking for 2adults/2children in order to avoid any problems). You may not encounter any issues... but what if there is a weather issue at the airport (even not for your flight but for some inbound flights) and this becomes the hotel of choice for some airline to house stranded travelers for the nite... they may be out of your room type by the time you check-in. In Orland i would take the risk... in NYC i'd pay the $15 for peace of mind, but ultimately the choice is yours.

Aw Lee,

I'm referring to the new Comfort Inn at 89-34 162nd Street... if you need help with your own upcoming stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Hotels need to have all the amenities shown... but don't need to show all the amenities they have.

The chances of an amenity 'missing' (or being incorrect) increases if it's a very new property to the system, but as per my comment above, the Comfort Inn is my best guess for this property, and i wouldn't be too surprised if it's something else as this limited amenity set applies to other hotels in this zone as well.

Let us know whatever you decide for this stay or if we can be of further help.

And you wouldn't advise waiting it out at the Airport (i.e. 9pm arrival, to 7am departure?).

This would not be an option for me.

Is there free internet anywhere at the airports?

I know JetBlue's Terminal T5 has free wifi, but i don't know if it gets shut off at nite or not.

If this doesn't work out, we might as well just take the bus back to Toronto, seems to leave NYC at 10:45pm...

By your own calculations this doesn't leave much time for you to get from JFK --> Manhattan (where i assume your bus would depart from)

I think we're going to wait on this one for a bit as options are very tough at the moment. There was an option to arrive at 8am in NYC on a later flight from DEL at the same price, and now just regretting not carefully planning out the connecting flight. If I change it now, its $350 per person haha. Hopefully rates fall as we have plenty of time till we arrive. 

I'll post a separate thread for the Dubai leg of my trip, hopefully I can get help there :)

OK, you still got plenty of time to decide about this.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help. 

Yellowdog.

PS. Please remember to follow-up this thread with whatever you end up doing, even if you chose to book direct, stay at the airport etc.

Hopefully rates fall as we have plenty of time till we arrive.

The above is actually a very good rate for a 3* hotel in this area (and an even better rate if you are booking for quad occupancy)... i wouldn't expect rates to get much cheaper than this (if it all)

If you go to our Priceline Maps and search for JFK, you can see the price range for winning hotels in this area, as well as click the VIEW link to see the specific wins... it doesn't get much cheaper than this.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]