Hotwire Hotel: 4* Quebec (Downtown) Hotel Manoir Victoria

SC1980
By SC1980,
in

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/advice in terms of which 'star rating' to stay at or above in Quebec City. My husband and I are hoping to spend 3 nights in QC City (April 7, 8, 9) and we would like a hotel in the downtown area, but don't know what star level to stay above (i.e., not go below).  We like a comfortable and safe-feeling hotel, with some amenities (most importantly a gym) - mainly we just want to be comfortable, but we wouldn't mind going a little higher than a little lower in terms of frills, if that makes sense, Looking on Hotwire some of the prices look unbelievably low to us (there is one that's in the 50-ish dollars/night), which makes us think we should set a top price limit of $120/night (if we're naming our own price on Priceline) - would this get us a really good hotel, or are the prices on Hotwire misleading (i.e., would we have to spend more than that for a nice hotel)?  I hope this makes sense - please ask any clarifying questions, if needed.  Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

S

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Chicago Hotwire thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread, then reply to this thread and we would be happy to take a look and offer our thoughts on the above stay.)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

It's difficult to advise what star rating is best as we don't know what type of hotels you typically stay in, but I would start by looking at the Priceline Hotel List and see how you feel about the 'known' hotels which have already been reported to the board... anything that you feel you must avoid? any star rating where all of the hotels that have already been reported would suit your needs?

PRICELINE EXPRESS has this 4 star Downtown hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $61/nite, which i'm guessing to be the Hotel Le Concorde Quebec, if this property is of any interest.

Would this one work for your needs?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your quick reply!  Is that price for a 4 star on PRICELINE EXPRESS likely as cheap as we would get by bidding for something similar on Priceline, do you think?  The Hotel le Concorde looks OK (i.e., would suit our needs), but when I look at the 3 1/2 star hotels on both Priceline and Hotwire (look at hotel websites and reviews online), they seem just as nice as the 4 star places.  Are you at all familiar with any of these hotels, to know if that's the case? There is also a 3 1/2 star on Hotwire right now for $53/night - do you have any idea/guess about which hotel this would be, and also if this price is pretty good for a 3 1/2 star in Quebec?

Thanks again and in advance for your help!

S

Unfortunately i don't have any firsthand knowledge of the hotels in this area to comment on how much nicer the 4* are vs. the 3.5*.

For HOTWIRE help please include the amenities that are associated with the hotel. Using the BiddingHelper.com link and the EASY VIEW tab is this the amenity set:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Indoor Pool

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Hi-Speed Internet

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

... best guess for this one would be the Best Western City Centre.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow - so much info - thank you!  I have a couple questions... first, I notice that the hotels on the Hotwire website main page are listed in CAD and the ones on the Hotwire Easy View tab on Bidding Helper are in USD - are there any other differences to these two pages, and/or is there any advantage to using one page for booking over the other?  Second, you're right about the amenities list for the 3 1/2 star that's available, but you mentioned that you would guess this is the Best Western City Centre (which is listed as a 3 star on the 'Hotwire hotel list' on this site - has this hotel changed star ratings recently, and/or are there others that have done or tend to do so frequently?  Can I ask what prompts this?

Thanks again and in advance!

S

The EASY VIEW tab currently only returns rates in US Dollars... if you want to compare apples-to-apples you can change the currency drop down on the top right of HOTWIRE's home page to US Dollars (or if looking at a specific property, after clicking the CONTINUE link the hotel will open in a new window and there you can change the currency to CAD Dollars (once again using the drop down menu on the top right of the page))

Both tabs will generally show the same hotels (i'd say better than 95% of the time... the one 'known' exception is Las Vegas where the 'regular' tab will show an extra hotel or two at the 5 star level (this is explained if you hover your mouse over the 'HERE' in the 'IMPORTANT INFO HERE' within the EASY VIEW tab). Rates may differ by a few dollars between the two tabs (sometimes the regular tab is lower, sometimes the EASY VIEW tab is lower... sometimes they're the same :) ).... buy whichever is cheaper.

All booking sites review their star ratings on a continuous basis and rating changes happen often and for a variety of reasons (sometimes the hotel has done something to improve itself, sometimes it's simply based upon user reviews,etc), but with HOTWIRE there is no way to know for certain until the hotel is reported to the board.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Gotcha - thanks!  Can I ask your thoughts on two more hotels that I see on Bidding Helper (I'm a little worried about the Best Western City Centre because online reviews are saying that there's major construction next door to that hotel right now, and it's really noisy)?  On the Easy View tab I also see these: (

1. 3 1/2 star for $46 USD - FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking)

2. 4 star for $57 USD - FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible bathroom

Do you have any guesses as to what these two may be?

Thanks again and in advance!

S

My best guess for the 3.5* would be the Hotel Le Concorde Quebec (recently changed hands from the Loews Le Concorde)... for the 4 star, an upgrade of the Hotel Manoir Victoria to the 4* level since the last time it was reported to the board would be my best guess for this one.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice.  You were right on with your guess about the 4* being Hotel Manoir Victoria, and we got it on Hot.wire for $75/night CAD (including tax).  We were there 3 nights - lovely hotel, great service, and a really good restaurant attached.  Just returned from our trip and commented several times about what a good deal we got - lots of thanks to you!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing your win with the board, helping us update the Hotwire Hotel List with the new star rating and amenity set for this property.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your results/decisions as you receive them so that the information can best help others in a timely manner.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]