GPS Tracking Out of State rentals from Fox Car Rental

RentalRon
By RentalRon,
in

I rented a car from Fox Car Rental in Phoenix, AZ. The contract says the car can only be used in AZ, CA and NV. I took the car to New Mexico for a few days. Their contract says they have GPS units in the car and will charge $50 plus $0.35/mile for anything over 100 miles/day. This could add up to big bucks for the week I've rented.

Does anyone know if Fox actually has a GPS unit in their cars? Is there a way around this charge or a way to challenge it? Heck, I could have driven to San Francisco and back without a charge but to New Mexico and back could be really expensive.

Any thoughts? Anyone know how they do this?

By the way, the shuttle from PHX to their lot took almost 30 mintues to show up and the lot has a bit to be desired. This is one of the lowest end facilites I've ever seen.

Thanks,

RentalRon

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Boundaries restricting where you can drive the car are standard in most rental contracts these days, but it also sounds as if you're combining two different aspects of the contract:

1) 100 miles per day

2) driving boundaries

The way you wrote it is contradictory:

The contract says the car can only be used in AZ, CA and NV. I took the car to New Mexico for a few days. Their contract says they have GPS units in the car and will charge $50 plus $0.35/mile for anything over 100 miles/day.

The way it is written sounds as if they may only charge if you take the car out of those three states and drive over 100 miles per day.

Can you clarify if the above quote is exactly as it is written (and in the same section of the contract), or are you paraphrasing two different aspects? As well, on the front of the contract, is there anything that you signed indicating unlimited milage (or a milage limit?)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The milage is unlimited. However, if driven out of the three state area then the rate is applied at $0.35 per mile over 100 miles per day. It's a 7 day contract so I'd be charged $0.35 for everything over 700 miles. I've already put on over 1,000 miles so that's at least 300 x $0.35 = $105 plus $50 processing. Yuck. The contract did have the term on it but I didn't realize there was a restriction until I picked up the car. I may just need to pay it...if they show that the car was driven out of state. Again, my concern is, do they really have a GPS in the car that would show this?

By the way, this is a hybred Honda Civic which is a pretty nice ride but it's a real basic model. They don't provide the remote key so to lock it you must use a key.

Tks, Ron

There were some suits over this same thing some years a go. The people got out of it I think because they did not tell the renter about the GPS in the cars. My money would say the car does not have GPS but theres aways that chance. My company has GPS in some of the cars they own witch would tell me that it does not cost all that much as my company is a little on the cheap side.

Please let us know how this plays out.

Heres what it says on their site,lets hope they are liars.

GPS Equipment

The rental vehicles are equipped with Global Positioning Systems. These(G.P.S.) devices transmit, and record in real time, the location, speed and distance the vehicle has traveled. If the vehicle is driven outside the published, and designated driving area the rental depot is provided with a real-time notice, and the rental contract rates will be amended to the higher time & mileage charges, retroactive to the starting date & time of the rental. In the event the GPS system is tampered with or disconnected, the higher time & mileage charges shall prevail.

I found this info that you might want to read.

http://caag.state.ca.us/newsalerts/2004/04-129.htm

You really got to look at the whole picture of car rentals. Some companies are really out to get you with significant add-on expenses anyway they can.

So don't always go for the lowest rate. I rarely consider companies like Enterprise and Fox no matter how much cheaper they are because of past negative experiences with this sort of thing.

If there is any chance that you are going to travel outside of a company's designated area for your rental - rent with someone else or ask for a rate that covers the entire 48 states without surcharges or whatever it is that you want. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]