Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Madison Square Garden - Convention) Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

luuukas
By luuukas,
in

Hi,

I have been to NYC a couple of times and it was like 3-4 years ago when I was bidding for a 3,5* hotel. Back then I got the Affinia Shelbourne and the Affinia 50 for pretty good rates.

However, things have probably changed and rates are higher now.. so I was wondering how I should start and where I will probably get the lowest rate through bidding.

I want to focus on Central Park South, Empire State Building Area, Midtwon East, Midtown West, Madison Square Garden and Times Square. I actually do not know if Hell's Kitchen is bid-worthy.

Since NYC is walkable, we do not care that much where the hotel is located as long as it is a nice area. Upper East Side is too far away from the center I guess and I am not so familar with the Chelsea Area.

The budget is like $100/night and I need 3 rooms.

Is there anything you guys can recommend or should I just start bidding with a cheaper area and then add areas plus increase the bid by $2?

Thank you!

You don't have many options for a 3.5* or better at $100 or less, but i do see what appears to be the Wynhdam New Yorker which is 'underpriced' hotel relative to the other options for these dates which at least gives you a shot at something near your budget.

I would proceed as follows:

When bidding 4* in NYC you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB, MSG...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB, TS...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MSG, TS, MTE, MTW...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MSG, TS, MTE, ESB...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB, MSG, TS...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

If the above is rejected HOTWIRE has a 3.5* hotel for $103/nite with:

Free Internet

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Roll-in Shower

... best guess for this is the Wyndham New Yorker.

There is a difference in star rating above since if i'm correct on my guess of the New Yorker, there aren't likely any other hotels at this price level for your dates, and this property is currently 4* rated by PRICELINE and 3.5* rated by HOTWIRE.

It's up to you, but i wouldn't sit on this too long as the price is very good for this time of year, as the next best price for a 3.5* hotel or better on PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE is about $150/nite... if you can succeed around the $105-area i suspect the greater risk is rates moving higher from here than they getting much lower.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

PS- i didn't include the CPS zone in your bidding since it contains the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms. If you do want to include this zone you can simply add the CPS to all of the bids above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the detailed advice!

Just to be on the same page, I see 3 re bid zones: Coney Island, Queensborough Bridge and Morningside Heights. Is this correct?

I see the HOTWIRE deal for 103USD/night. Are you 100% sure that it is the Wyndham Hotel? I think it is a pretty good deal. Does it actually make sense to start bidding on priceline?

I am not quite sure if the priceline 4* hotels which I can get by bidding are better or worse than the Wyndham. Can you rank the hotel somehow within the other 4* hotels offered by priceline bidding?

Thank you,

Lukas

Yes, you have your THREE re-bid zones correct, but always confirm them just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked.

We can't see the hotel name either, so we can't ever be 100% certain of any hotel guessed, but i do feel 'pretty good' that this would be the Wyndham.

I don't think you have much to lose by bidding on PRICELINE as any 4* hotel in NYC around the $100 area for these dates would be a very nice deal, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the support.

I am following and still bidding as you recommended. My current bid is at 92 USD already.

Regarding the Hudson Hotel, it does not seem a good deal. I have checked the tripadvisor photos and it seems really bad with the small rooms. Are chances high that I end up with with the Hudson, because it is the cheapest?

And what about the other zones like UES, UEW, Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen? I have checked UES and there is supposed to be no 4* hotel, but a 5* hotel. Can I use this zone as a re-bidding zone?

What are the pros and cons about the other zones?

Hope you can help :)

I wouldn't recommend UES/UWS, given that the zones do go high up and there is the possibility of being in an inconvenient location (probably more important with temps where they might be in March than when the weather is nicer.) There's less than a handful of hotels in the Hell's Kitchen zone across all star levels and you will likely fare better in other nearby zones where there are far more properties. Chelsea is a fine option.

The Hudson isn't necessarily what you'd win due to price, we simply do warn people that it is a possibility due to the very small rooms (there are some "room videos" that people have taken of the hotel's rooms on Youtube, and they're smaller than they look in pictures.)

There are 4*'s in the USE zone. Do not use the retail side or Betterbidding's Priceline Hotel List (as noted at the top of the lists) to determine re-bid zones. During the bidding process, if you select a zone and you can select a star rating in that zone, there are hotels that can possibly be won at that star level within that zone and it cannot be used as a re-bid zone.

Please read this discussion of re-bidding and let us know if you need assistance confirming re-bid zones.

so I have checked UWS (Upper West Side) and I see onlye the Empire Hotel on your list. This hotel is pretty close to CPS. What is your experience for this hotel? Is it selling at $100 through bidding or is it way more expensive?

What's the deal with the hotel fees? They are pretty high for CPS and MSG. Is there any reason for that? Does it mean that there is a certain hotel behind those fees?

I am following and still bidding as you recommended. My current bid is at 92 USD already.

If you're following the strategy outlined above there is no $92/nite bid. ;) The strategy we suggested went up to $100/nite, and i think it will take closer to $100 than to $90 to be successful (or maybe you're not successful at $100 so you instead take the HOTWIRE offer) but you had the re-bid zones available and it doesn't hurt to fish a little lower to see if maybe you get lucky.

Regarding the Hudson Hotel, it does not seem a good deal... Are chances high that I end up with with the Hudson, because it is the cheapest?

The Hudson hotel is in the CPS zone and you're bidding the CPS zone which was not included in the bidding strategy above... are you including this zone in your bidding?

And what about the other zones like UES, UEW, Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen?

Chelsea is the only other zone among these that i would recommend, unless you're able to identify the Empire Hotel beforehand, but even then unless i was saving some money i would prefer to be more centrally located in midtown.

I have checked UES and there is supposed to be no 4* hotel, but a 5* hotel. Can I use this zone as a re-bidding zone?

No... UES is not a re-bid zone as they do offer 4* bidding in this zone (not sure where you're getting your information that there are no 4* hotel but there are 5* hotels... the only method to use to determine your re-bid zones is the technique outlined in Priceline Re-Bidding Explained)

What are the pros and cons about the other zones?

To be honest i think it's a moot point... the only real chance you have to win a 3.5*/4* hotel for these dates in midtown is in the MSG zone (and the likely Wyndham New Yorker). Everything else i'm currently seeing at the moment is substantially more expensive, and should the current HOTWIRE offer disappear (which it can at any time) then your next best deal for a 3.5* or better hotel starts at $150/nite. You can of course stop bidding at whatever dollar amount you'd like, but i would be more worried about the price needed to win going up $50/nite than i would be concerned with if i could have gotten it $5/nite cheaper.

Taxes/fees are what they are and there is no way around them. While PRICELINE and HOTWIRE fees have crept up over the years (so have most other booking agencies) keep in mind the if you're successful around $100/nite this hotel room will be about half price of what you could get thru conventional booking channels for these dates... that rate there would double the amount you would typically pay in taxes. All booking hotel agencies provide a service and charge for that service... sometimes it costs money to save money.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks for the feedback and I am sorry for not being precise enough. Yes, I do follow the strategy, but I do it in EUR. That's why I came up with 92 USD :)

I did not use the HOT.WIRE offer so far, because I will maybe get lucky with the bidding strategy. The other problem for me is that I do not like the Wyndham that much. I stayed in the two Affinias that I have mentioned before and they seemed much better than the Wyndham. I don't know why, but I don't feel comfortable with the Wyndham offer on HOT.WIRE. And the Affinias are 3,5* or at least where back then. I was satisfied with both 3,5*, so I rather go down to 3,5* bidding strategies than paying above 100USD/nite plus tax.

That is the reason why I have asked about Chelsea or Hell's kitchen. I do not know where the price range begins and ends for hotels in these areas when it comes to bidding. Is it supposed to be a bit less than 4* bidding strategies for MTE, MTW, MSG, TS, ESB?

And no, I do not consider UES as a re-bidding zone. I was just asking if it can be seen as a re-bidding zone since your hotel list shows a 5* hotel only and no 4* hotels. And yes, I know that list is not reliable enough, because PRICELINE offers 4star bidding.

I actually did not bid on CPS so far. My question was if chances are high that I end up with the Hudson when I start bidding the CPS zone. I like the location of the zone and the hotels provided in your hotel list, but I do not know if it is worth bidding there since hotel fees are higher than in MSG :(

Since I do not have that much time after work, I did not finish to complete the entire bidding strategy so far. I will continue now at my 83EUR level (apx. 95 USD) and keep you updated when I win something.

If I do not win, I will let you know, because I would need a 3,5* bidding strategy. I hope you can help me.

I am using the PRICELINE links on the board.

If the Wyndham is not an option then you should not include the MSG zone in your bidding either, but as noted above, i think this is the only zone where you have a legitimate chance at a 3.5* or 4* hotel near a $100 price point... otherwise at current rates you're likely looking in the $130-$150 area for a 3.5* or better is the most frequently bid zones (and this range would include the Hudson near lower end of the range).

So it comes down to if a potential/likely of the Wyndham is worth $30-$50/nite savings vs. spending more and landing a hotel that is more your style.... it comes down to what you want vs. staying within your budget.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress and if your next bids are rejected (or you decide to stop where you are because you no longer want to include MSG), let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll adjust the strategy accordingly.

Okay, so I am done with your 4**** bidding strategy up to 100 USD. For now, I prefer to stay in the budget and I can live with a 3,5* hotel.

If I do not succeed with a 3,5* bidding strategy for the areas ESB, TS, MTE and MTW, then I will consider the MSG area to get the Wyndham or I will book it on hotwire.

Can you please provide a bidding strategy for the above mentioned areas?

Thank you for your support! :)

When bidding 3.5* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

While i think your chances are low, you can try the following:

Select 4* ESB and MTE...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB and MTW...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and MTE...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, TS, MTE...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, TS, MTW...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, TS, MTE, MTW...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

As noted, the Wyndham's price is unusually low in comparison to comparable hotels for your date/s. The unusual spread between the potential Wyndham's price and other comparable hotels will make it very appealing for other people looking for your dates and it wouldn't surprise me if it's taken before long (there's no way to know how much discount inventory the Wyndham has outstanding for these dates - the rates could change at any time or the listing on HOTWIRE could go away completely.)

With NYC, I think the question becomes how much time are you actually going to be spending in your room? If a considerable amount and you're looking for a different vibe in terms of hotel, then your other options are going to be quite a bit more expensive.

However, if you are not going to be in your room that much and are just looking for a reasonably nice place to sleep, the Wyndham's $107 rate on HOTWIRE versus anything else in Midtown (which is probably going to run you $150-160+) will mean savings that can be applied elsewhere during your trip (nice meal, etc.)

I'd take the Wyndham without a second thought given that price for this time of year if I was looking to stay on these dates, but if you are not interested in the potential Wyndham, we can offer other suggestions on how to proceed, but they are most likely going to be around $150-160 or higher.

The Affinia properties mentioned above are currently 4* on PRICELINE, but there is no way to bid for a particular property or properties.

Congrats on your success. :)

This property does get some mixed reviews, but 1) I think you're going to see that at a lot of NYC hotels, where regular rates are often absolutely sky-high and expectations are - when rates are $300, 400+ at a 4* hotel - are not met. If a hotel in NYC is getting MOSTLY good-to-very good reviews with some mixed reviews, that's a good thing in NYC. 2) Excellent location and if you're not going to be in the hotel that much, that's a lot of savings vs any other comparable options that can be used elsewhere. Ultimately, I think you made an excellent choice and hopefully the hotel will exceed expectations.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Here is my (often crowded) breakfast suggestion nearby:

Best Bagel and Coffee

225 West 35th Street (between Seventh and Eighth Avenues)

... i can't vouch for their coffee, but they have one of the best bagels in the city, imo. It's counter service so if you can't get one of the few tables or a stool by the window, you can walk to Times Square and eat on the bleachers behind the TKTS booth and take in the view and people watching.

Have a great trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]