Hotwire Hotel: Ottawa Feb 2015

happymommyof6greatkids
By happymommyof6greatkids,
in

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums and hoping for some help with a family trip to Ottawa for Winterlude.  I am hoping to secure 2 rooms, with 4 guests per room.  I would definitely prefer downtown Ottawa (near the canal for skating and events).  I have heard great things about the Courtyard by Marriott.  This would definitely be one of my top choices.  Free breakfast is a huge plus, as is a pool :)

Any advice is appreciated as I am new to the name your price, bidding, secret name hotel shopping.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages (which will also remove the red box at the top of the page asking you to do the same)

Then let us know the actual dates of your stay and your target budget (per room per nite before taxes/fees) and we will have a closer look at your upcoming trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

***EDITED***

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums and hoping for some help with a family trip to Ottawa for Winterlude.  I am hoping to secure 2 rooms, with 4 guests per room.  I would definitely prefer downtown Ottawa (near the canal for skating and events).  I have heard great things about the Courtyard by Marriott.  This would definitely be one of my top choices.  Free breakfast is a huge plus, as is a pool :)

Our preferred dates are either:

Feb 6-8 or

Feb 13-15

I would like to keep our option under 140 a night.  Again, would prefer to be within walking distance so the Courtyard looks great.

Any advice is appreciated as I am new to the name your price, bidding, secret name hotel shopping.

Thanks in advance :)

I am hoping to secure 2 rooms, with 4 guests per room.

From your username, are the guests 2adults/6children?

I would definitely prefer downtown Ottawa (near the canal for skating and events).  I have heard great things about the Courtyard by Marriott.  This would definitely be one of my top choices.  Free breakfast is a huge plus, as is a pool :)

What is your desired star rating? I'm seeing (if searching for 2adults/6kids is correct) what looks to be the Marriott for $125/nite, reviews are good, is near the water (not sure how close to skating), has an indoor pool... but no breakfast. I'm also seeing the Best Western Victoria Park for $89/nite which has breakfast and a kitchenette... but no pool and looks to be further from the water.

Our preferred dates are either:

Feb 6-8 or

Feb 13-15

The above is for Feb 6-8, as your alternate set of dates includes Valentine's Day which is historically a busy nite for hotels, and therefore rates for this date range will likely be higher.

I would like to keep our option under 140 a night.

I assume this is per room per nite... or were you referring to total for 2 rooms?

Again, would prefer to be within walking distance so the Courtyard looks great.

You can only choose from the hotels that HOTWIRE offers for your search, and there is no way to 'force' HOTWIRE to offer you a specific hotel. If you can only accept a specific location within the zone then use our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com.

Based upon the above let us know your thoughts (and if either of the two hotels mentioned work for your needs) and we will take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So detailed, Thank you!

Either one of those two hotels would work.  As you mentioned, the Marriot would be closer so that would probably be our best bet :)  

I was thinking the second weekend of Feb only because it is a holiday weekend.  If it is that much more, I will probably just go with the first weekend.  We are not picky and our schedule is very flexible.

Thanks for your help

So detailed, Thank you!

It's a curse... but glad you appreciate it :)

I was thinking the second weekend of Feb only because it is a holiday weekend.  If it is that much more, I will probably just go with the first weekend.

Since you need more than double occupancy (was i correct with 2adults/6children) per room you need to use HOTWIRE, and searching for your second set of dates there is no availability offered, so i think that is an example of just how the Valentine's Day weekend is effecting demand (and rates).

Using our BiddingHelper.com EASY VIEW tab, and search Feb 6-8, 2rooms/2adults/6children, this is what i'm seeing in the Downtown zone:

4* Downtown for $125/nite (your price may differ by a few dollars):

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Indoor Pool

Smoke Free

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Spa

Childrens Activities

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

... best guess here would be the Marriott Ottawa

3* Downtown for $89/nite:

Complimentary Breakfast

Free Internet

Fitness

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Kitchenette

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Handicapped Parking

... guess for this one would be the Best Western Victoria Park

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases (and the code in my signature for an extra $20 off)... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck! Let us know which you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Apparently my last reply didn't post :(   We are thinking of just taking the two older kids now, so 2 adults and 2 children (one room only).  The Marriott could definitely work as it is close by.  I'm just worried about being stuck in a dirty hotel room with no option to change lol.  This would be my first time booking one of the "secret" rooms lol.

Is there a price difference between priceline and hotwire?  Is one better than the other for booking this stuff?

As always, thank you :)

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. If this is not a risk you're willing to accept, then HOTWIRE is the better (only) option.

While your first 'opaque' hotel purchase can always be a bit scary, you have to look at the safety nets you have in each of these instances...

The 4* hotel is 90% recommended by previous guests and has a 4.0/5.0 TA rating... both of these, along with the 4* rating of the hotel, should ease your mind a bid that the hotel won't be a dump (and should actually be 'a good experience')

The 3* has a 95% recommendation by previous guests and a 4.5/5.0 TA rating, so this too should quite an enjoyable stay.

If you assume each of my guesses is correct i would take whichever one you feel works better for your needs this trip (based upon location, pool, breakfast, etc.) and know that you have the 'safety net' of the positive experience of previous guests to ensure that each should meet your needs and provide a pleasant stay.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know whatever you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]