Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Madison Square Garden - Convention) Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

ranger120
By ranger120,
in

I'm looking to go to New York City the week of March 16th and see there is a 4 star hotel at $139us on PRICELINE EXPRESS but shows no guest rating.

The only info it has is:

pets allowed

restaurant

business centre 

fitness centre

I thought of bidding on it but I am hesitant as it's not showing a guest ratings for the place. I have never been to NYC before and I am going with my son. I would be willing to pay up $180-$200/night.

Thanks!

Best guess for the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above would be the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, does this work for your needs?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's a well-located property and one of the largest hotels in the city. It does not have breakfast, but not that many hotels in NYC do.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and let us know if you have questions regarding additional listings (including HOt.wire listings.)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

The New Yorker is a historic/classic hotel that gets some mixed reviews, but substantially better since it was taken over by Wyndham.

While it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice of hotel in the city, at this price it offers a very good value, especially given the great location.

Also, note that breakfast can always be had inexpensively in NYC... tons of carts offering a coffee and a bagel/donut for $1.50, cooked to order breakfast sandwiches with coffee at local delis for ~$3 or so, and a little pricier (still under $5 per person) i recommend this place not too far from this property:

Best Bagel and Coffee

35th St (between Seventh and Eighth Avenues)

... one of the best bagels in the city!

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I seen this on Hotwire for a 4 star empire state area with the same dates for $168cdn  with 95% recommended with the following amenities:

Pet friendly

Smoke-free rooms
Fitness center

Restaurant(s)

Business center

Self-service laundry

Internet access

Spa services

Any insight which place this could be?

How often during your stay do you need to go to/from MSG?

If proximity to MSG is your top priority then you won't get much closer than the Wyndham New Yorker (except for the Hotel Pennsylvania which gets awful reviews). If you're willing to take the subway to/from MSG then your options become wide open since Penn Station is directly under the arena.

At $139/nite, why not the New Yorker?

To better advise based upon your specific needs:

1) why NOT the Wyndham New Yorker?

2) assuming you are going to one Ranger game, why plan your 4day/3nite trip around this one event? In NYC the subway is your friend and can easily get you to just about any other point in Manhattan fairly inexpensively and without traffic concerns.

If you're looking for proximity to MSG then the New Yorker fits the bill and at this price is a very nice deal for NYC (although as noted above, it's a 'historic' hotel so don't expect everything to be super modern, although recently refurbished, it will still have a general 'old time' feel/charm to it)

If you're looking for the least expensive hotel i see the Nh Jolly Hotel Madison Towers for $113/nite, reviews are mixed, but would be about a 15 minute walk n the subway (or walk to 34th St and take the bus crosstown to MSG)

If you're looking for something nicer/different we can certainly help, as i'm very well versed with NYC (and the hotel market here), but you'll need to let us know more about what you're specifically looking for from this stay.... although as per above, my advice would be to find a hotel that is a good 'home base' for NYC, has good subway access nearby, and enables you to easily get to other points of the city so that it's convenient for you all your plans (not just your one nite at MSG). I will add that the New Yorker does hit the mark on almost all of these points (convenient, easy subway access, affordable, etc)... it's just not a modern hotel which may not be everyone's taste and not what most people have become accustomed to (the hotel opened in 1930 so when was the last time most people have stayed in a hotel that is nearly 100 years old??). Personally i prefer modern/new hotels as well, and that would be my preference, so i 'get it', but i think the age/style of the property accounts for most of the mixed reviews.

If not the hotels above, try to let us know what you're looking for, and we will advise accordingly.

I would definitely like a newer, modern 4 star hotel as that is why I am hesitant on the New Yorker. I only picked the MSG area because I am unfamiliar with NYC and the subway system but if it is not hard to navigate I would give it a try. (I am travelling with my 8 year old son).

The whole reason for going to NY is the hockey game and we will do some sightseeing while we are there.

I am open to anywhere for the right price; something around $175 to $200/night Canadian is what I would like to pay but I'm not sure if I can find that kind of deal at that time of the year. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great!

What are the other activities/sightseeing you intend to do?

I would take the 4* ESB offer on HOTWIRE for $140/nite with:

Pet Friendly

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Spa

... as per above, best guess for this one would be the Affinia Shelburne or the Affinia Dumont, both of which get excellent reviews. It's really not a long walk to MSG from either (i'd say less than 15 minutes... probably closer to 10) but not knowing how much your son will complain about walking the bus is nearby and easy enough OR a taxi would be maybe $6-$8.

For other sightseeing you're right near the green line (4-5-6 trains) to take you to Greenwich Village or 'Downtown'... as well as a short walk to Grand Central Station for the 7 or S train (S = Shuttle but it's actually a train) to Times Square.... or a short walk to the N/R trains for other points.

Your thoughts/concerns?

NYC is immensely walkable - if anything, being familiar with Chicago, I've actually found NYC to be quite a bit more walkable, given the variety (so many great things you stumble across while on your way to something else) and amount of things to do in the city. If I were to go tomorrow, I'd much prefer to stay in the ESB/MTE areas of the city, given their quieter feel (vs the TS area) and general atmosphere (lots of nice restaurants, etc.) If you are looking for newer and more modern, the Affinia properties would fit the bill and they do get terrific reviews. Additionally, the ESB and MTE zones are often slightly-to-moderately cheaper, as the potential Affinia for $139 (in US$) is a great deal in comparison to some of the other 4* midtown options for these dates.

Thank you for keeping us updated and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on your success!

Looks like a very nice rate for a 4* hotel in NYC!

Not too far from your hotel i recommend this place one morning for breakfast (very limited seating so if you can't get one of the few tables walk towards Times Square and eat while on the bleachers behind the TKTS booth... or one of the tables in front of Macy's):

Best Bagel and Coffee

225 West 35th Street (between Seventh and Eight Avenues)

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]