Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Barbados Radisson Aquatica Barbados

bogmike
By bogmike,
in

Love this site -- love the service (and especially love the sister website http://www.mapsandhotels.com/ (very cool!). Ok, now that I've buttered you up...

I'm looking to use Priceline for the first time, ever... and am pretty risk adverse.

However, if it's the deal I think I'm getting, I'd be very happy. That is:

My dates are Jan 27, 2015 to Feb 8, 2015 (12 nights), 4 star.

Priceline Express is offering a $180 / night hotel

Would this be the Accra? Perhaps the Radisson? What I want to avoid getting is ripped off, of course. When I look at Priceline's list of 4-star hotels, it doesn't list the Radisson (but lists it if you do a full vacation package). However, they do list a "4 star" "Palm Paradise Guest House" which is NOT really a 4-star hotel so much as it seems to be a B&B (at $116/night). Is there a risk that I'd take the $180/night hotel and get stuck in the $116/night B&B?

I tried Hotwire and didn't see comparably good rates (e.g., $180 for a 4-star) but am open to suggestions -- at the end of the day, this is a big trip for us (our son's graduation celebration) so I'm hoping to get a great place, ideally on the ocean!

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Why Radisson are you referring to, the Radisson Aquatica? If so, this property is current 3.5* rated by PRICELINE so this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer wouldn't be that hotel (or are you referring to a different Radisson??)

These amenities are common for 4* hotels in the area but my guess for this one would be the Accra Beach Hotel. If it did turn out to be the Palm Paradise (or any other hotel with a cheaper rate) PRICELINE does currently offer a Double the Difference price guarantee, which if successful, would result in the hotel costing you about $40/nite room rate (although i doubt that is the hotel you're likely being offered)

Since this an extended stay you could see if this same property is offered for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then again for the balance. If so, you could purchase the solo nite in order to 'look behind the curtain'. If you're happy with the results purchase the remaining nites, if not, make alternate plans for the balance of your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much! Yes, I was assuming it was the Radisson Acquatica (and in fact, it would be our first choice hotel if we could actually get it via Hotwire or Priceline).

So the $180 deal on Priceline is likely the Accra 4*, and on Hotwire, the deal for $155 for a 3.5* is, I suspect, the Silver Point Hotel since the same amenities have been matched on here before (and even at the same price). Our preference would be the Radisson -- for the location, and we're familiar with it (having stayed in the area once before) and thought it was nice.

Priceline Express offers a 3.5* for $157. It's amenities listed are: Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Restaurant, Free Parking, Free Internet, Business Center. Any ideas on which one that might be?

I like the idea of doing a one-day booking just to see if I can "uncover the deal". Thanks for that tip -- I'll likely go that route. While we don't want to be moving hotels too much, I might even try booking a 3.5* and a 4* for one night each, just to see where we land, since when I tried a Name Your Own Price, only one 4* hotel had all the dates we wanted (so I guess I'm best to use the last day as our test bid?)

Thanks again! I'll be sure to use the your links, and of course, report back -- but any guidance on that 3.5* or other tactics (e.g., should I push hard for Name Your Price offers?)

...the deal for $155 for a 3.5* is, I suspect, the Silver Point Hotel since the same amenities have been matched on here before (and even at the same price).

I'm not currently seeing any 3.5* hotel offered for your dates (unless you're searching for a sub-set of your original date range)

Priceline Express offers a 3.5* for $157. It's amenities listed are: Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Restaurant, Free Parking, Free Internet, Business Center. Any ideas on which one that might be?

I'd guess the Radisson would be a good possibility, but with most hotels in the area offering these amenities, it's difficult to have any high degree of confidence, so buying the solo nite first would be a better option if you'd like increased confidence (although you should first search your solo nite as well as the balance of the nites to confirm that what appears to be the same hotel is offered for each set of dates)

...so I guess I'm best to use the last day as our test bid?

Not necessarily as it depends what the 'sold-out' dates are at the other hotels. Take the following example:

HOTEL ABC: available for first 11 nites of your stay, sold-out for the last nite

HOTEL XYZ: available for all 12 nites of your stay

If you were to bid for all 12 nites, only the second hotel (XYZ) is available to be won since the first hotel (ABC) is sold-out for the last nite of your stay.

If you make a test purchase for the last nite you would win XYZ, but then when you purchase the first 11 nites you could possibly win ABC.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know how you decide to proceed and how it goes OR how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Confirmed! Did as you suggested and booked one night of the 3.5* hotel to confirm it was the Radisson Acquatica for $157/night per room (which lists for $239) and then reserved my other nights. I therefore am nearly 100% certain that the 4* being offered for $180/night is the Accra Hotel (which lists for $235). Very happy with our purchase, since we were able to get what we think is a better hotel (a bit tired, but better amenities and services) than the Accra (although the Accra is in a marginally better location). 

So sincere thank you for your help in giving us the confidence to do our first Priceline deal! Best of all, we used your previous reports to also buy a few nights via Hotwire at the 3.5* Silver Point Villa for $155 (which lists for $196/night) since -- although on the Atlantic side of the island and therefore in rougher seas, will give my son a chance to do some surfing!

Your services were helpful - I hope using your PRICELINE links provided something good in return.

Cheers,

Mike

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a nice deal at the hotel you were hoping for and that you're pleased with the results.

Thank you for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your purchase and sharing your win, helping us add this property to the Priceline Express Hotel List.

Enjoy this leg of your stay... if you need help with, or to report a win for, any remaining nites please feel free to start a NEW TOPIC.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]