Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower) MileNorth Hotel

rbfilho
By rbfilho,
in

Hello Everyone

I'm going to travel to Chicago for the HVAC expo (it will be at Mccormik Place) and i was searching hotwire and found today:

4 starts Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower Area

Amenities:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Boutique Hotel

Smoke Free

Fitness Center

Restaurants

Business Center

Golf Nearby

Check In: Jan 23

Check Out: Jan 30

Rates found: $87/night

Is this hotel near Maccormik Place? 

This is going to be my first time in Chicago

Any help would be deeply appreciated

Thanks very much

Ruy

Please start by following-up your previous Priceline NYC hotel thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip, then reply here and we will have a look at the offer above.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above? Using this method, below is the full list of amenities i'm seeing for the 4 star hotel in this zone when searching for your dates:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Boutique

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... if this is what you're seeing my best guess for this one would be the Public Chicago (with a distant, less likely, second guess of the Whitehall Hotel)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The issue with Chicago and McCormick Place is that if you stay right near there (the Hyatt), there's really next-to-nothing directly around it. The other issue is that if there's a convention at McCormick, it may  be cheaper to stay downtown (whether in the Loop or NMA) rather than the one hotel right next to it.

You could take the Metra from Millennium Park to McCormick or take a cab. I would try to maybe look for a place closer to the river. What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

Also, I'm very familiar with Chicago and would be happy to answer any city questions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hello 

Thanks very much for your help.

I was thinking about spending something between $70 to $100 / night, Like you said, downtown might be the best option because because i don't know Chicago and I would like (at least) to go to the Skydeck, the Field Museum and the aquarium (I will be traveling with my wife and my 14 year old son - note: i will have to go to mccornick place from monday to wednesday, but they will have the full free week).

I also would like to try the Chicago's famous pizza.

After that, i want to go skiing with the family (i heard that WI has some great mountains for skiing, but i haven't decided yet, any suggestions?) where i will stay until the next Thursday 

Again, thanks so much for your help

Are you including 2adults/1child on your search as different hotels and/or prices may be shown when searching for triple occupancy vs. double occupancy.

When searching for 2adults/1child i see a 4* in the Water Tower zone for $86/nite that is slightly different than the one above:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Boutique

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Spa

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... my guess here would be the MileNorth Hotel, and this one has a very impressive 4.5/5.0 TA rating.

Given your will be in Chicago for a week, and at the convention center only for 2-3 days (and only you needing to be at the convention center while for the rest of your family needing to be well located for the entire length of the stay), i would focus on a 'good' area to stay in and then figure out your commute to the convention center on the day(s) you need to be there (AaronJB can comment best on your commute options)

Thoughts on this 4* property above?

Various thoughts:

Alpine Valley would be the closest skiing spot to Chicago - that's really not that far at all and a pretty straight trip from Chicago. The resort town of Lake Geneva is also on the way up there. Granite Peak is the ski area that primarily comes to mind as one of the best, but that's way farther North in Wausau. Alpine would be considerably, considerably easier to get to. Devil's Head and Cascade Mountain are ski resorts near one another - those are about three and a half hours from Chicago and not far from Madison and the Wisconsin Dells (the latter is a resort town that's kind of like a Six Flags amusement park ate a small town.) Devil's Lake is also nearby - that's a gorgeous state park that will be beautiful but basically quiet this time of year. The Dells may have some things open, but given that it's primarily water parks and mini golf, much of it will be closed.

Wisconsin is gorgeous in the Winter, but weather's definitely a factor. Winter's been okay in the Midwest and the forecast seems fine, but you never know. If you went to Alpine Valley, there's at least some alternative routes from Chicago aside from the expressway. If you were going much farther North (say, Wausau) and the weather turned sour, it would be difficult/extremely difficult to get up there.

If you do go to Alpine and pass Lake Geneva, there's a route where you get off the expressway and head West towards Lake Geneva. When you get off the expressway, there's the legendary Brat Stop, as well as Mars Cheese Castle, two institutions. There's also a fantastic high-end outlet mall a little way South of that exit. Lake Geneva will be quiet but pretty that time of year - that's really a town that can be JAMMED in the Summer and have outrageous hotel costs. Costs are probably still a touch high but far more manageable during Winter.

I'd recommend the Field and Shedd in Chicago. Would not recommend Navy Pier in any time of year, but especially not in the middle of Winter, there's just nothing going on there.

It's really not that bad of a cab ride to/from McCormick if you had to - usually a cab will just head out to Lake Shore Drive and then zip down that. Hopefully for your trip the weather will be good (and hopefully for me because I really don't want another Midwestern Winter like last year's) and if so, you could consider an alternative (going to the Millennium Park Metra and taking the Metra to McCormick.)

Again, my one note of advice with Wisconsin is to book something refundable with a very good refund policy as you don't want to have the weather go South and have to make it far up into Wisconsin. You can stay at the Hampton Inn in Elkhorn, which puts you about 6.5 mi from Alpine Valley (if you go to Alpine Valley.) If you do so, please use the site's Support Page links to start your purchases and searches... or our new site BackUpBooking.com to search/book something refundable.

The issue with Chicago on these dates is that South of the river is more expensive than North of the river, likely because people want to be closer to McCormick who are in for the show. However, if you stay North of the river - thereuare's potential MileNorth is an awesome suggestion - you could use the savings for taxi to McCormick and your family would be more conveniently located.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hello 

Thanks very much for your help.

The snowstorm really got me thinking, specially because i've never been in Ohio and Wisconsin. My flight leaves Chicago on Feb 5 at 1:30 PM. I was thinking (if i went to WI but im not so sure anymore) to leave at 5:00 or 6am in order to be at the airport on time, but the probability of something going wrong is not little. (opinions?:-)

Booking a refundable room was a great idea and i probably will do that, but first i need to book my room in Chicago.

I was searching again and i found:

4 stars - Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower (this hotel charges a $4.5 resort fee /day)...$88,00 / day

FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

And

4 stars - Magnificent Mile North - River North.....$95.00 / day

FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

If you guys could choose one, which one it would be?:-)

Thanks Again

Ruy

My view is that Wisconsin's a gorgeous state any time of year. However, in the Winter, it can be very difficult going if it's snowing. If you're going to say, Lake Geneva (and then Alpine Valley is not far), which is about 75-90 minutes away from Chicago on a good day, becomes very difficult if it's snowing hard. If you go to Lake Geneva and that happens, at least from Chicago there are back roads that are going to be difficult too, but probably a little better in some regards than the likely-congested expressway. So, Alpine Valley would be possible even if the weather isn't great. Once you start considering going higher up, then driving multiple hours in a snowstorm becomes a lot more difficult.

If the weather holds up, it's no problem getting up to Wisconsin and even further up. However, I just say to be on the safe side in terms of a completely refundable reservation from the standpoint of, I've been on the expressway up to Wisconsin in Winter and it was fine and I've gone up in a blizzard with trucks and other cars on the side of the road. Last year was one of the worst Winters in ages, this year has been okay so far and (hopefully) will continue to stay that way, but with the weather in this area, you just don't know.

Cascade Mountain would be further away, but Madison (which is a great town) is right there. Devil's Lake State Park (beautiful) and Wisconsin Dells (fun, but largely shut down this time of year) are also nearby. 

If you went to Wisconsin and then were to come back for a flight mid-day, I would either A) leave early in the AM or B ) stay the night before at a hotel near the airport (Schaumburg is not far from the airport, is often reasonable when it comes to hotels and there's free parking at most hotels vs paid parking at airport hotels. Plus, Schaumburg has an IKEA, which is always fun to visit.

I'm not seeing the 4* Mag Mile N-WT listing when searching (are you searching for 2 adults/1 child?), but I am seeing a 4* (when searching for these dates for 2 adults/1 child) for $95 in the Mag Mile-RN area w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower. That would be a possible match for the Hotel Chicago.

Keep in mind that different results may appear when searching for 2 adults vs 2 a/1c.

When searching for 2a/1c, I'm seeing a 4.5* in the Mag Mile-RN area w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business for $114. That would be a possible match for the Palomar.

Let me know if you have any questions before booking.

• 3 weeks later...

One more question: Can i go from O'hare to the Hotel using public transportation?

You can take the Blue Line L train to downtown from ORD and then you can either:

1. Get off at Clark/Lake and take a cab the rest of the way direct to your hotel.

Or:

2. Transfer at Washington to the Red Line and then take the Red Line North to Chicago and walk the remainder.

You got a terrific deal for a very nice hotel.

Let me know if you have any Chicago questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]