Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Upper East Side) Loews Regency Hotel

irnbruqueen
By irnbruqueen,
in

A new amenity set for the Plaza Athenee would be my best guess as well, but these amenities are offered at most 5* hotels in NYC, so i don't see any way to exclude the Carlyle, The Surrey, or the Pierre Taj from the possibilities as well.

Is there a specific property you're trying to target or hoping to avoid?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com if you decide to go with a 'known' regular rate hotel.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

HI there,

I've had an alert on Rate.Drop for what I'm pretty sure is the Plaza Athenee (UES, 5*) and there was one day where the price dropped to $357, but then shot back up the next. I've researched using your Hot.wire and PRICELINE EXPRESS links, getting rates from $379 up to $540.

I've been going off the clue that this hotel doesn't have a fitness center onsite, but is pet-friendly, has a restaurant, and has spa services onsite. (It wouldn't really matter if it ended up being the Surrey, the Carlyle or the Athenee, actually.)

My question is, should I just go ahead and bid on Price.line for a 5* on the UES and assume it's one of three hotels listed above? Does $350 seem a reasonable bid?

Any help would be appreciated.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of this page to provide the details of your purchase and the entire thread will automatically be moved to the correct section of the board (if necessary).

When bidding on PRICELINE you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose. Those you mentioned above, as well as the Lowell, all seem like likely candidates, but there could always be another 5* hotel that we hadn't considered and you could be the first to report it to the board.

With current PRICELINE EXPRESS rates for at 5* hotel in this zone at $450+ per nite, my guess is that $350 will likely fall a bit short, but you have nothing to lose by trying. At the 5* level you do have plenty of re-bid zones available, so if you let us know your maximum bid that you're willing to make at this point in time we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Is the UES zone the only zone you're willing to accept for this stay as i think you can likely get a 4.5* or 5* property in a nearby zone such as CPS, TS, and/or MTW.

... alternately how badly do you want a 4.5/5 star property, as there is often a steep price jump when going from 4* to 4.5/5 star. A 4* may not be as nice as their higher rated counter-parts, but it may also save you close to $150/nite.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

I think we would accept CPS or TS -- just don't want to get stuck with this infamous WestHouse I've been warned about. We're prepared to pay $375/night. The reason for initially looking only in the UES is proximity to Central Park and the Met, and relative quietness (trying to avoid 'family-oriented' or monster-sized hotels). We're working around a chronic illness that necessitates extra rest, so proximity to the subway is not important as we won't be using it or going far afield.

Any strategies for a 4.5 or 5* would be appreciated.

I think we would accept CPS or TS -- just don't want to get stuck with this infamous WestHouse...

Given the WestHouse is located in PRICELINE's CPS zone, how would you avoid this property if including the CPS in your bidding?

One option would be this 5* Central Park South hotel (confirm your dates on the landing page) for $357/nite less a few dollars using the current discount in my signature. This PRICELINE EXPRESS offer shows an 8.0 or better user review rating, whereas the current user review rating of the Westhouse is 7.9, so you should be able to safely avoid that property with this PRICELINE EXPRESS, even though it has the same star rating and is in the same zone as the Westhouse (should this one be the Westhouse due to PRICELINE not updating the user review rating i think you would have a very case for a refund since the user review rating of the offer doesn't meet the minimum threshold of the hotel received)

There is also this 4.5 star Times Square hotel for $358/nite which i'm guessing is the InterContinental Times Square, should this property be of any interest.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Congrats on your success. :)

Terrific deal for this well-reviewed property and glad you were able to save so much! 

Can you confirm the amenities that were showing with this Hot.wire listing before purchase? This information is available under the trip information in your Hot.wire account (click "my account" in the upper corner of Hot.wire)

Please start a new thread for the additional nights and we would be happy to help.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]