Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* San Diego (Gaslamp Quarter - Convention Center) Omni San Diego

Az_Rael
By Az_Rael,
in

Hotwire San Diego Gaslamp Convention Center, July 8-13 2015, $207/night

Secret Hotel rate.   Ammenities shown:  Pet Friendly, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet Access, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower, in-room accessibility, accessible path of travel

I guessed it was the Omni due to the Pet Friendly ammenity listed.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am new to using the opaque hotwire deals.    I booked a great deal via Hotwire secret hotels at the Omni San Diego during the 2015 Comic Con dates and now I am nervous about such a good deal during a high profile event (almost too good to be true based on the Omni's location to the Con).     

I can see the hotel confirmation number in my hotwire account page.    However, it does not show up on the Omni website.    Granted, I just made the Hotwire reservation yesterday, so no need to panic yet, but I was wondering how long it usually takes for Hotwire to forward on the reservation to the hotel? 

The reservation is often suppressed from being viewed online... if you're concerned call the Omni and ask them a question about your reservation (even if you don't care about the answer: 'How many beds does my room have'), make a request for your stay (Queen/King bed, non-smoking, not closer/far from the elevator, etc, etc) OR just tell them that you'd like to confirm that you're all set.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I still haven't been able confirm directly with Omni yet for this reservation.   I called Hotwire back, and they put me on hold and confirmed with the hotel.  They couldn't give me a confirmation number, but said the Omni should now be able to find my reservation by my name. 

called Omni back, but still no luck pulling up the reservation.    I will give it another day (assuming the system might have to update), then if they STILL can't find it I will call Hotwire back. 

I am beginning to think my deal was too good to be true and will be cancelled eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I STILL have not been able to confirm my reservation with the Omni for this Hotwire booking over 1 month later.   There are several folks on one of the Comic Con boards who are in the same situation.   I am beginning to think we might be looking at an overbooking incident here.  

I called Omni reservations (main line) and they stated they can't find me in their system.   They also state that the dates I am staying are completely full and unable to be booked.   Called Hotwire CS and they put me on hold to confirm with the hotel.   They came back and said I was "confirmed" but that they had not pushed the reservations over to the Omni yet.    I am supposed to call back in 24-48 to check again to get that Omni confirmation. 

So, if the Omni states they are fully booked, and Hotwire hasn't forwarded the reservations over yet, that does not sound promising. 

I'd definitely keep updated and call again in a day so, as if this is a situation (and not being in the system a month later is unusual), Hot.wire or the Omni should find you an alternate (and comparable) hotel nearby and offer some sort of compensation.

Keep us updated on what happens and hopefully everything turns out okay.

I did call Hot.wire back today.   The fellow I spoke with again put me on hold to check with the hotel directly.   This time he said the Omni was going to send an email confirmation to hotwire, and then hotwire would forward that on to me.   He stated there was "no timeline" on when this email would be written or sent.  

I will give it another month then call again.    The reason I am so worried about this, is the Omni has repeatedly told me they are sold out for my dates.   This event usually sells out a significant portion of the hotels in San Diego, so if the Omni figures out they are overbooked right before the event, then Hot.wire getting me alternate accomodations will not be simple.

I did call Hotwire back today.   The fellow I spoke with again put me on hold to check with the hotel directly.   This time he said the Omni was going to send an email confirmation to hotwire, and then hotwire would forward that on to me.   He stated there was "no timeline" on when this email would be written or sent.  

I will give it another month then call again.    The reason I am so worried about this, is the Omni has repeatedly told me they are sold out for my dates.   This event usually sells out a significant portion of the hotels in San Diego, so if the Omni figures out they are overbooked right before the event, then Hotwire getting me alternate accomodations will not be simple.

I'd give it less than a week. If these are very busy dates, I'd try to make sure that everything is sorted (if there is actually an issue with the Omni, having Hot.wire find you an acceptable alternative) as soon as possible.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

While these things usually resolve themselves just fine, if you are concerned and want to protect yourself, you can use our new RefundableRates.com site to find a room that can be cancelled up until a few days before your stay... at which point you will hopefully have you confirmation from the Omni. ;)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...you can use our new RefundableRates.com site to find a room that can be cancelled up until a few days before your stay...

Thanks for the link - I did check the search out - very slick site.    Unfortunatly no options right now for refundable hotels (that I could reasonably afford that is), so I may have to wait a bit.   The big travel agent for the convention usually has the entire zone blocked out until they run the hotel lottery for the convention (yes, it is that crazy that they have a LOTTERY for hotel rooms).    After they run the lottery, some hotels do open up, but, I REALLY hope to have a Omni confirmation before that. 

Edit:  I re-ran a Hot.wire search (using the links here) and it looks like they are showing a 4* option for $402 a night that is most likely the Hyatt based on the folks on the Comic Con board who bought this deal (golf + pet friendly +pool +tennis).   Those people have already gotten their Hyatt confirmation numbers, so if I had to talk Hotwire into providing me an alternative, I would go for this one.   First I need to convince Hot.wire that something is wrong, though.

OK, I called again today:

This time I called the Omni San Diego instead of the main reservations line.   The person at the reservations desk there could not find my reservation in the system.   I asked if Hotwire had a room block, and she said "definitely not".    She also stated that if I didn't have an Omni confirmation number, I don't have a room.    The hotel is, obviously, completely sold out.   She also told me that if Hotwire was actually confirming the reservation with hotel directly there was no reason at all they couldn't get a Omni confirmation number.

So I called Hotwire again.   Fellow put me on hold to "check with the hotel directly".   Came back after a long wait and said that they are "still confirming" the reservation with the Omni and that they are backed up with all the reservations they have so they haven't gotten to the July ones yet.    They are supposed to contact me directly when they have a confirmation and I am "not supposed to call back" (fat chance of that). 

So now I am convinced we have a glitch and it is just a matter of time until Hotwire figures that out.   I wonder how many reservations they made on that deal before it sold out.  

• 3 weeks later...

Called Hotwire again today to try and get that elusive Omni confirmation number.   No luck.   Still "we have a support ticket out with no estimated fix time".   I am supposed to call back in 5 days.   

I have heard a report of another person who booked the same Omni deal for the Comic Con dates, and Hotwire said they were unable to honor the reservation (the Omni was totally blocked out) and offered $$ back or an alternate hotel within 5 miles of the convention center.    That person had to call to find that out, no info has been forthcoming from Hotwire yet.  

The only question now is how many folks booked the deal and how long it will take Hotwire to sort out they have a bigger problem.   At this point it is still early enough for me to deal with a cancellation by Hotwire - I just have to hope they can figure it out before Feb/Mar which is when we will most likely have the hotel booking period by the official convention travel agency.  I really feel sorry for folks who take the "you don't have to confirm with the hotel" statement on their hotwire confirmation to heart, though.   

I will say this experience has soured me on Hotwire.   I have used Priceline several times in the past with no issues.    I know that these things happen, but the fact that it has taken Hotwire MONTHS to figure out that I most likely don't have a reservation with the Omni doesn't speak well of their customer service. 

I wish you well.  It does sound like this is a major snarl.  

If possible, try to check in as early as you can.  The last people to show up are more likely the ones that will get "walked".  Being "walked" of course the term for the hotel having an overbooked situation and putting the extra (last to show up) people at other hotels.  If your flight schedule won't let you arrive early, a call for them to hold your room might help.

If you aren't already, maybe on-line you could sign up for the hotel's loyalty program.  I'm sure you don't feel very loyal right now, but there can be some slight difference between how they treat members and how they treat others.

If you do get "walked", you have a right to a hotel of the same quality or better.  Otherwise some compensation is in order.

A cab ride to the different hotel should be offered.  And it is not unusual for them to throw in some sweetener like vouchers for breakfast.  If something isn't offered, don't be shy about asking.

As you have been in these postings, use patience and kindness with the person you hope will check you in.  They didn't create the problem.   Ranting won't get you anywhere anyway, is hard on everybody (including you), and being civilized might help.

I have had Hotwire fix problems for me.  It is possible.  

As you clearly are, stay on them.

Good luck.

Romelle

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Romelle. I have been very polite with all my dealings since I know it's not the customer reps fault I am in this mess. I have joined the loyalty program for the Omni, and I do plan to arrive early. The thing that I fear, is if I got walked day of my arrival, the whole downtown area will be sold out at that point and I would probably be moved to a hotel miles away. But I'm not that far yet since I don't have confirmation with the Omni, so I am not even their customer at this point.

Myself and a few fellow con antendees in this same boat have tweeted our issues to the Hotwire Twitter account. They have responded for me to send them my info; hopefully the person running their social media has the power to elevate my support ticket.

Either way I am going to give it another week, then I will probably start requesting a refund if they can't produce the Omni number by then.

Alright, so I have another update.   Since Hotwire told me to call back in 5 days, I called them today.  The Hot.wire rep gave me a phone number for Tourico Holidays, who is apparently the company that ACTUALLY has my reservation.   So a 3rd party to a 3rd party, apparently.  

I called Tourico Holidays and they were able to see my reservation in their system.    They told me that they confirm the rooms with Omni's wholesale department, however, they don't forward the indiviual information over to the hotel until much closer to the reservation date.    I did express my concerns that the hotel was sold out, but they assured me all was well.  

So, this explains why Hotwire couldn't ever give me any information - they didn't make the reservation.    I have very mixed feelings now and I am not sure what to do anymore.

Thanks for the additional information.

Tourico is a very large wholesaler and legitimate company, and as most wholesalers, sometimes have a block of rooms at the hotel for every nite of the year, so it's entirely possible that your room is all set but the reservation has not yet been forwarded to the hotel. With this said, i have seen instances with very high demand dates (it's very rare, but it does happen) where the hotel overbooks and a room is simply not available. To protect yourself i would suggest still making a fully refundable reservation some place which you can cancel once you are closer to your stay and the HOTWIRE reservation appears in the Omni's system.

I would also use HOTWIRE's 'Standard Rate Hotels' to find a refundable reservation (it may take a little work to sort thru those that are refundable and those that are not), but by making the back-up reservation thru HOTWIRE, you have one company to deal with should there be an issue closer to your check-in date (and easier to get them to pay for the 'retail' rate hotel if booked thru them if closer to the stay you learn that there is an issue with the 'Hot Rate' purchase). As well, make notes of the timeline and phone calls you have made thus far (as well as those customer service reps that you spoke to if you have that information) so that if you have to revisit this in the months to come you have all of the details to provide them.

Hopefully all will go well (it usually does, but it always makes sense to protect yourself as well)... let us know how it ultimately plays out after your trip.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear that and I hope your reservation will manage to be unaffected. If your reservation is not going to be honored, Hot.wire should try to make things right and find you something else comparable nearby, although that may be difficult given how busy this period is. Please keep us updated on your search for a refundable reservation (as well as what the hotel ultimately says about the reservation) and let us know if you need any help.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

There is a writeup on this issue on the SDCC Blog for those that are interested.

I did call and was able to get my money back.   I do have a refundable reservation at the Wyndam Bayside for $359/night, which while not ideal, is at least a place to sleep.   I will be participating in the convention hotel lottery to try and get a room at the Omni through the "official" channels.  

Thanks for the support from everyone.

So, one more update from me. Hotwire called me directly and has now offered to reaccomodate me at a different hotel even though they refunded me. They offered up the Hotel Indigo for the same price, or I could book a different hotel and they would pay the difference. Other folks on the forum have been getting them to reimburse for the $820/night rooms at the Hilton Bayfront, so that is really good customer service on Hotwires part. They are supposed to call me back in a week to give me time to research my options.

So, it looks like Hotwire is coming through for us. Unfortunately I don't know if it was only because of the articles and the press this was getting, but overall I am glad they are stepping up to the plate.

This is changing my view of them, so I guess that is a win.

I've often said that there will always be problems in business... it's how a company handles those problems that separates the great ones from the average ones. ;)

Glad to hear this is starting to shape up well for you given all the time and effort you have already put into it.

OK, so final update from me on this issue!   And it is GOOD NEWS!!    Jennifer from Hotwire called me back today and I was able to arrange booking at the Hilton Bayfront for my same Hotwire Omni price.   I paid out of pocket for the Hilton (booked direct through their website) and faxed the confirmation over to Hotwire.   They will refund me the difference (and its a BIG difference) and I will have a confirmed booking with a hotel for Comic Con!!!

I am completely impressed with how Hotwire handled this in the end.   It took them a while to figure out what had happened, but once they did, they stepped in wonderfully to accomodate us.   I probably won't use them again for Comic Con dates, but I will definately use them for more normal travel in the future.  

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]