Priceline Hotel: Times Square

cspender
By cspender,
in

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am trying to plan a 4 night visit to NYC with my husband.  We will be flying in from Chicago and we won't have a car.

I was told that Times Square would be a nice central location for a home base for us to see all the touristy things.

I've browsed around a bit on Hotwire and Priceline, and it seems like I might be able to get a better price with Priceline.  I entered in Times Square location with

a bid price of $115 but it got rejected, I wasn't sure whether to add another location b/c I would rather spend more on the hotel and walk than to pay less and

then have to pay a cab.  I'm sorry, I'm not at all familiar with NYC. 

Any help on how much to bid and if I should add another location? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Times Square is the most well-known area in NYC, but there's also so much more to NYC. Plus, TS is usually the busiest and most expensive zone in the city. Other nearby areas (such as Midtown East and Empire State Building, among others) are convenient and cheaper. 

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay? Unfortunately, the Fall and early Winter in NYC is an expensive period in the city. I believe the NYC Marathon takes place during this period as well, which is going to cause notably higher prices.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

As noted above the NYC Marathon is on Sunday Nov 2 and this event brings runner (and those who come to watch them) from all over the world and this puts a strong demand on hotel rooms for this period. Are your dates set and airline tickets purchased, as coming a week earlier/later may give you more affordable options.... but will still likely be well beyond your current $115/nite bidding.

Currently a 4* hotel in Times Square (where it's not necessary to stay, imo, but we can comment on that further once we know if your dates are set or flexible) will cost you in the the $220-$240/nite range for these dates... a 4* hotel in a nearby, yet still convenient zone, will run in the $180-$200 area.

You can get a good overview of rates for your dates using our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com and search '1 mile' from 'Times Square NYC'... then zoom in/out on the map to see hotels rates at various star levels; i suspect you'll see regular retails rates 2x-3x the amount of your current bidding.

Let's start by confirming if your dates are flexible as well as your maximum budget per nite for this stay and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As a point of reference, I just tried bidding for a 4* for Times Square and Midtown West for $150 and then for $170 for Nov. 7-9 and both got rejected.

I'm going to continue to increase my bid over the next few days, but I expect to pay closer to $200/night.

I don't think you mentioned what * level you were looking for, but if you're looking for 4*, you're going to have to go much higher than $115/night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]