Hotwire Hotel: 3* Calgary Downtown Sept 15-16

jamaholic
By jamaholic,
in

Hi everybody,

I need to book another night at downtown Calgary and so far this is what Hotwire is showing:

FULL AMENITIES: Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Suite, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for the blind, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking

$194/night  85% Recommended

As I have received the Ramada hotel for a previous 3* downtown booking, I feel like this could be a different hotel since it has free parking and free breakfast and provides a suite. Please advise. Thanks!

Best guess for this property would be the Best Western Plus Suites Downtown.

To call this a "downtown" hotel, that's a little generous.  It's more in the Beltline area, much like the Hotel Elan.  It's closer to 17 Ave SW, but a pretty good walk to some of the better restaurants there. 

If you're getting off your tour bus at Eau Claire Market, you will want a taxi to get there.   You could walk about 5 short blocks south to 7 Ave and take a westbound C-Train to the 7th Street station, and then walk about 4 more short blocks to the hotel, but if you don't want to do it during rush hour or after the sun goes down.  There is a Mac's convenience store (a Canadian alternative to 7-11) on the other side of the street at the 8th Street station going eastbound.  It's been tagged with the nickname "Crack Mac's."  You may infer what you want from that. 

Proud to be Canadian!

To call this a "downtown" hotel, that's a little generous.  It's more in the Beltline area, much like the Hotel Elan.  It's closer to 17 Ave SW, but a pretty good walk to some of the better restaurants there. 

If you're getting off your tour bus at Eau Claire Market, you will want a taxi to get there.   You could walk about 5 short blocks south to 7 Ave and take a westbound C-Train to the 7th Street station, and then walk about 4 more short blocks to the hotel, but if you don't want to do it during rush hour or after the sun goes down.  There is a Mac's convenience store (a Canadian alternative to 7-11) on the other side of the street at the 8th Street station going eastbound.  It's been tagged with the nickname "Crack Mac's."  You may infer what you want from that. 

I ended up just booking directly with Ramada downtown again, it was a bit more expensive than my first day but since I had little options, Ramada is probably going to be the better deal. I think we'll take the 300 bus from the airport to the hotel, or is there an easier way (i.e. taking a bus to one of the c-train or light rail stations then directly get off at 8th ave? The neighborhood you nicknamed "Crack Mac's", is that far from Ramada or the Kensington Village? We'll be travelling via public transit during our days here in Calgary so we definitely don't want to be near unsafe neighborhoods. Thanks once again!

The Ramada is about two blocks away from "Crack Mac's."  I should explain that for several years, the area directly around this Mac's store was frequented by less desirable people.  I always avoided the area based on the reputation, but in all honesty, I rarely had a reason to be on the edge of the downtown.  Apparently, the cops do patrol this area with some frequency, so it's not as bad as it used to be.  Do you need to completely fear being in this area?  The answer would be a qualified no.  Just be aware of your surroundings, try to avoid the area when alone after 8 pm and certainly later at night. 

The C-Train only travels along 7 Ave S through the downtown corridor.  If you want to take the C-Train to Kensington, I think the best way to do it is to get onto a Tuscany bound train, and get off at Sunnyside.  You'll be right outside a Safeway station.  Walk west to 10 Street NW, and then walk south towards downtown, and then you'll head towards the heart of Kensington.

Proud to be Canadian!

Oh I meant taking the LRT to Kensington and get off at Sunnyside station? In this case would I be walking towards 7th Street SW station and 2 stations down I'll be at Sunnyside? How far is the walk approximately from the station to heart of Kensington? How early/late do the shops there generally open/close? I'm thinking of exploring downtown core (i.e. the core, stephen avenue) on day one and on my day back I could go to Kensington.

I think it's only one stop from downtown to Sunnyside, but you have to make sure you take a Tuscany train.  You could walk from the Ramada to the heart of Kensington in about 20 minutes or so.  I'd walk north to 4th Ave, and then west along 4th until you get to the Louise Bridge and cross the river, and then walk across Memorial Drive and you will be on 10 Street.  You'll then be in the heart of Kensington. If you take the train to Sunnyside, it's probably 5-10 minutes to the heart of Kensington. 

The main part of Kensington is the area around Kensington Road, between 10 and 14 St NW.

Proud to be Canadian!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]