Priceline Hotel: 5* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago

Greg Starling
By Greg Starling,
in

Looking to get away for two nights 9/26 and 9/27 to a nice upscale hotel in Chicago then head back on 9/28.

I'd like to get in for $250 or less, but I could go higher if I needed to.

I don't know Chicago so maybe a 4.5* or a 4* would be just as good, and I'm wasting my money so any local advice is appreciated. This is a trip for my wife and myself, and we really want a view of the lake from our room.

I've had friends stay at the James hotel and W Lakeshore and they liked those a lot, but I'm not sure if I want to risk getting a lower end 4*.

Any bidding advice / strategy is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Betterbidding.

The issue with Price.line and Hot.wire is that reservations via the discount services are not eligible for upgrades, which is what the view rooms are at the few hotels that offer them in the city. You can call ahead to try and ask/negotiate, but the hotel may say no or charge more. Also, just my personal opinion - I'm very familiar with Chicago and really would go for river view if given the choice. With lake view, you're really not seeing much of anything at night, while the lights along the river at night provides kind of a classic "postcard perfect" Chicago view. The best example of this that I've seen is the Westin River North's deluxe river view rooms. The Holiday Inn Mart Plaza is another example, with cheaper upgrade costs (that property also has a great little bar area next to check-in with a terrific river/city view.)

There are some risks with "lesser" 4*'s, such as the Allerton in the River North-NMA area, so I wouldn't recommend bidding.

On Hot.wire, I'm seeing:

A 4.5* Mag Mile N-WT area w/Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business. Likely the Hyatt Mag Mile (on St Clair) ($205)

A 4.5* Mag Mile-RN area w/Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly. Likely Intercontinental ($221.)

4.5* Mag Mile-RN area w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly. This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board. I'd guess the James would be a possibility.

4* Mag Mile-RN area w/Boutique, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Pet Friendly. This would be a likely match for the W Lakeshore.

While I wouldn't recommend bidding at the 4* level, bidding at the 4.5* level - at least in terms of the "known" possibilities - doesn't offer much risk (the "least" of the 4.5*'s is the Intercontinental, which is still a nice property - it is a giant hotel so personalized service isn't likely, but it is in a great location and has a fascinating history.) In terms of bidding at the 5* level, I think you may be able to win a 5* for moderately higher than your desired budget ($275-285, although I'd start lower than that.)

Let us know your thoughts on the above (you may see slightly different prices on Hot.wire) and we would be happy to offer further suggestions. I'd also be happy to offer any Chicago city questions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I totally get not being able to upgrade, I figured I could probably add a few dollars on checkin or over the phone to get the view I want - obviously based on availability.

I've never used hotline (just priceline) so I'll have to dig into the process, but it seems similar.

Would you recommend the few extra $$ for a 5* or would a 4.5* be about the same quality? Again, I apologize for my Chicago ignorance.

We're also planning on doing a dinner cruise Friday night then seeing the city Saturday. So any recommendations as "must sees" would be appreciated.

Would be cool to see a show, comedy club, etc Saturday night. I'd love to catch the Bears/Packers game on Sunday, but I'm not too excited paying $300 a ticket for bad seats - so that could be a sports bar on our way out of town.

There are no guarantees with Hot.wire (how a hotel appears on the service can change at any time, new hotels and changes to reported hotels are seen every day on the board), but the 4* noted above in the River North-NMA area would be a possible match for the W Lakeshore. The upgrade to lake view is usually $30 difference between the regular/upgraded rooms. However, even if they have inventory - just so that you know the potential of what to expect/what not to expect - they could still say no in terms of allowing you to upgrade. It may depend on who you talk to and they may also just note the request and then it becomes negotiating at check-in. Or they may just say okay and it's easy. There are some different factors, but overall, there is no way to guarantee the ability to upgrade.

Hot.wire is slightly-mildly more expensive than Hot.wire, but the benefit is that you are given a set of listings and information on each listing. Given the information, one can possibly make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing. With Price.line bidding, you have to be willing to stay anywhere within the zone at the star rating chosen.

At the 5* level in the River North-NMA area, I really don't think there's a bad option at all.  At the 4.5* level, there is the question of whether the Intercontinental is what you are looking for, as while I think it's a fine hotel, it does get a few mixed reviews on tripadvisor and the hotel may not be everyone's cup-of-tea, especially if you're looking for a smaller boutique and that's a large convention hotel.

You mention wanting a view - that is not guaranteed (as noted.) Is that a must? Are you looking for a particular style of hotel?

In terms of comedy, there's always Zanies in Old Town, as well as legendary Second City (also in Old Town). There's more than a few great sports bars in the area (as well as the Brat Stop just over the border in Wisconsin if you are headed out in that direction.) I'll be happy to offer additional suggestions after you book as I can then also offer directions.

Also, one additional question: are your date/s flexible? If you can bump it to the weekend after, rates are moderately cheaper.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Unfortunately, my dates are not flexible, so that's not going to be an option in terms of saving money.

From the hotel point of view, I'm looking for something that is upscale romantic, if that makes sense. 

What do you think about a strategy of a 5 star bid on Price.line, then if I can't find something in my range going to a 4.5* on Hot.wire?

And Second City sounds like a great option for Saturday night - I'll definitely look into that.

What do you think about a strategy of a 5 star bid on PRICELINE...

What would be your maximum bid for a 5* hotel before you consider the 4.5* HOTWIRE properties (or bidding 4.5* on PRICELINE)?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just to add to the above...

When bidding 5* in Chicago you have ELEVEN re-bid zones... NINE re-bid zones at the 4.5* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

So you could try:

Select 5* NMA-River North...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $245, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $255, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $260, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $265, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $270, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $275, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $280, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $283, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $285

If the above is rejected and you want to try at the 4.5* level using your NINE re-bid zones:

Select 4.5* NMA-River North...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $245

If the above is rejected, PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4.5* hotel in this zone for $251/nite and you can take that one if you desire:

Indoor Pool

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Business Center

Fitness Center

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

Hope you're pleased with the hotel and deal you received.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board. If you recall, can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities that PRICELINE EXPRESS associated with this property and showed before your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Still certainly a very good deal with the cheapest rate at $479 on Expe.dia. Additionally, this hotel couldn't have a better location right by the river (and given the hotel's location, I think you stand a good chance of getting a nice view - I'd call the hotel and see what can be arranged). Please let me know likes/dislikes and I'd be happy to offer restaurant recommendations. Eataly - which is a market with different stations to choose dining options from - is nearby. I wouldn't devote a whole meal to it - it's pretty chaotic when busy - but it's a great deal of fun to browse around the market and get a bite to eat.

Enjoy your stay.

You're about a 3 minute walk from Eataly, which - as I noted above - is a great place to browse around (it's a sleek, beautiful tribute to all things Italian food), I just think it's too chaotic to really enjoy a meal there. There's also some alternatives - the pizza is really good and it's also very crowded. The focaccia bread area is a great alternative, as the focaccia there is so rich and amazing that I found it a satisfying alternative to pizza. The products in the market are actually not as expensive as I'd expected and - quite remarkably, given the level of traffic - not a thing seems to be out of place. Sable Kitchen in the nearby Palomar Hotel (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d1765571-Reviews-Sable_Kitchen_Bar-Chicago_Illinois.html) is a fine option, as is Purple Pig (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d1647641-Reviews-The_Purple_Pig-Chicago_Illinois.html), which is right by your hotel.

It's kind of out of the way, but a great little secret is the Chicago French Market (http://www.frenchmarketchicago.com/index.php), which is under the station at the Ogilvie Transit Center (http://www.frenchmarketchicago.com/index.php). Again though, given the location, kind of tough to work it into plans. Xoco (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d1533276-Reviews-Xoco-Chicago_Illinois.html) is an easy walk from your hotel and is a good option for a casual breakfast, lunch or dinner. Doughnut Vault (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d2302509-Reviews-Doughnut_Vault-Chicago_Illinois.html) is a highly popular option for sweets, and I also like Hendrickx Bread Crafter (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d2190157-Reviews-Hendrickx_Belgian_Bread_Crafter-Chicago_Illinois.html), both of which are not a terrible distance from your hotel.

If you have to try Chicago Deep Dish pizza, I'd suggest Lou Malnati's in River North. Otherwise, my recommendation for pizza is La Madia (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d1007754-Reviews-La_Madia-Chicago_Illinois.html) in River North.

Yolk (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d2048880-Reviews-Yolk-Chicago_Illinois.html) and Wildberry (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d2407503-Reviews-Wildberry_Pancakes_and_Cafe-Chicago_Illinois.html) are breakfast options an easy walk from your hotel.

I'll also note that if you do go up to the Old Town area for Second City, the Spice House is a must. That store is really a feast for the senses. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-spice-house-chicago)

Let me know more about specific likes/dislikes and I'd be happy to offer more suggestions.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]