Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Empire State Building) St. Giles - the Court

andmunn
By andmunn,
in

Hello All,

Been lurking on the site for a while - but decided to give priceline a try :)

I'm looking for 3 nights at a 4* hotel in NYC.

First Consideration: Price

Second: Location (must be close/walking distance to sights).

Anyone have any suggestions/bidding strategy to get the best deal? Not concerned about particular hotels - just the wife and I.

Thanks!

Andrew.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing for the stay, even if you choose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc. This helps keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone, as well as being a courtesy to anyone that took the time to help with your trip.

As far as your new dates above, which zones are you willing to stay in? Currently i think most/all 4* hotels will be more than your $150/nite budget, although your best chance would be if you're willing to stay in the Downtown/Fincancial District. However, while this is not the most convenient area for the average tourist, it's certainly do-able. Also, although NYC is fairly compact, it's also quite vast in the sense that there are things to see/do in different locations within the city... you're not going ot find one location that enables you to walk to all the sites... you'll either need to take subways, taxis, busses, mass transit to some locations no matter where in the city you would ulitmately like to stay.

Which zone(s) are you willing to accept for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare,

Thanks for the information - i'll make sure to complete this thread once the transaction is done :) Sorry about my oversight.

As an aside, i'm also willing to spend more then $150/night - i'd be content in the $200-225 range (does that give me more flexibility?).

While i have no issues with the downtown financial district, i'd prefer to stay somewhere that more convenient. So i'd say let's avoid the financial district for now. Otherwise, i think these zones (Which were mentioned in the old post)  - MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, ESB, MSG, Chelsea - are fair game. Also - let's avoid the Hudson Hotel :)

Thanks for your help.

Andrew.

I think what is required is in-between the mentioned boundaries of $150 and $225. I'll note that Hot.wire has a 4* in the ESB area for $196 w/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Pet Friendly. This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but it has a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating, so this property does get excellent reviews. I'm also seeing a 4.5* with a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating in MTE for $213. There's also what appears to be the Conrad for $214, although that is downtown.

All that said, if you do want to avoid the Hudson, I would not bid for a 4* in CPS. The issue with MTE at the 4* level is the OneUN, which does not have room size issues, but is at the far E border of the MTE zone, so it's not exceptionally central. Would this be acceptable? For a 4* in Midtown in the areas noted (MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, ESB, MSG, Chelsea, although I'd take out CPS and let us know if MTE is also not acceptable), I think you could start at $160 and work higher by $5's.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

HI AaronJB,

I went to Hot.Wire and couldn't see that hotel for $196 in the ESB - the cheapest i can see is $221. 

I'll also take your advice and avoid CPS and MTE due to your concerns as mentioned. LIke i said - i don't mind walking some - but i also want to be in the middle of some nice "action" (i.e.// restaurant, cafes, etc) and walking distance to a few sights :)  Perhaps you can let me know if the areas i've chosen are good for that?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew.

So to confirm your zones:

MTW, TS, ESB, MSG, Chelsea

All of these zones should be convenient for your needs.

I am still seeing the 4* ESB property for $192 (your price may differ a few dollars)... try repeating your search with our BiddingHelper.com tool, go to the EASY VIEW tab, and select ONLY the Empire State Building zone... do you see the listing now:

Pet Friendly

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Spa

... my guess would be the Affinia Dumont, but i'm not certain. However, with the 4.5/5.0 TA rating i don't think quality should be an issue at all and it should provide a very good experience.

Are you able to see this offer now? If so, do you want to go with this HOTWIRE listing to ensure a 'good' hotel OR should be lower your maximum PRICELINE bid so as to not go above the room rate of this offer?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare,

I think i'm seeing the same one your seeing (same amenity list) for $205/night. That being said, i looked at the Affinia Dumont websites, and it looks like they are booked for those nights? Could it be that property then, or likely something different?

$205/night is reasonable - do you think if i start bidding from about $150/160 (As suggested above) i'll get a good property? I don't want one with a 55% TA rating. Please advise the best course of action :)

Andrew.

While more the exception then the rule, we have seen hotels won on both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE when the hotel was otherwise showing a sold-out condition, so the Affinia Dumont can't be excluded from the list of possibilities. The amenity set above is not an exact match for previous reports of the Affinia Dumont, but that was my best guess... moreso the point was that this property was offered at $192/nite (now $202/nite on my current HOTWIRE search) and has an excellent 4.5/5.0 TA rating, so (assuming this was acceptable) there woudl be no need to go as high as $225/nite.

As far as bidding, i think the $150-$225 range mentioned was based upon your original maximum bid and then your revised maximum bid... not that you would necessarily be successful at $150-$160 (not sure where the $160 figure came from)

If you were to bid on PRICELINE i think you're likely looking at something in the $165-$190 range to be successful (i would of course star lower and if uncessuccessful continue to bid a little higher), but you then need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you bid. The advantage of the HOTWIRE offer is that you 'know' this is a good hotel based upon the very high TA rating, so it becomes a question of how much it's worth to ensure a 'good' hotel (based upon the TA rating) vs. trying to save a few dollars for any 4* hotel in the zone (which may not be rated as highly)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed OR how it goes and we will advise accordingly.

Hi Thereyouare,

Thanks for your explanation of how this works. I would love to take a shot at the $160 price range and see if i win something. So can you possibly setup a bidding strategy to achieve something in the range you mentioned below? If it doesn't work - and it starts getting close to the $202 price range, then i'll probably just stick with that.

Thanks!

Andrew.

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(i went up to $170 but you can of course stop at whatever amount you'd like)

Select 4* MTW and MSG...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and ESB...

Select 4* Chelsea and ESB...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, MSG...

Select 4* MTW, TS, Chelsea...

Select 4* MTW, ESB, MSG...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, MSG, Chelsea...

Select 4* TS, ESB, MSG...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB, Chelsea...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MSG, Chelsea, MTW, TS...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MSG, Chelsea, MTW, ESB...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB, MSG, Chelsea...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'll give this strategy a go tomorrow. FYI, i'm changing my nights from Oct 3 - 6 (fri/sat/sun night) to Oct 2 - 5 (thur/fri/sat night) - should i change anything in the strategy, or really no difference for that small change.

You can start with the same strategy but expect this new date range to be a little more expensive and will likely need to increase your budget over the posted $170/nite.

Hello :)

I tried giving this a shot - then got confused (lol). Where you say:

Select 4* MTW and MSG...

What are the two re-bid zones - have i missed something? 

Andrew.

Yes, those are correct, but always double check just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

For your revised dates (10/2-10/5) i think you're likely looking in the $205-$225/nite range for the zones you're bidding.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to assist further.

You can re-try in 24 hours (make sure you wait 24 hours from your last bid), once again using the PRICELINE links on the board:

Select 4* MTW and MSG...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* TS and ESB...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* Chelsea and ESB...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, MSG...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, Chelsea...

Select 4* MTW, ESB, MSG...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* MTW, MSG, Chelsea...

Bid $203, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* TS, ESB, MSG...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $208, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB, Chelsea...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $208, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* MSG, Chelsea, MTW, TS...

Bid $213, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $218, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* MSG, Chelsea, MTW, ESB...

Bid $213, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $218, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE...

Select 4* MTW, TS, ESB, MSG, Chelsea...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $223, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225

Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Hi Thereyouare,

Thanks so much - will try this tomorrow. Quick question - given it's unlikely that anything in the $140 range will get accepted, is there a reason we start so low, and not somewhere like $175? Or is it really just to see if there might be a "new deal" in that price range?

Andrew.

You could start with the $205 bid price (just over your previously rejected bid of $201/nite for the same star rating and zones) but starting low gives you the opportunity to take advantage of any deal that may have entered the system in the last 24 hours since you last bid (yes, odds are low, but it's always possible... if you are short for time then you can obviously skip some of the initial bids)

Good luck!

Hi,

I ended up bidding all the way up to $220 on PriceLine and no dice - I happened to "Refresh" Hotwire (used the links) express deals and a 4* property in ESB with an 85% trip advisor rating dropped from 265/night to 205/night - so i booked it. Ended up with the "St. Giles - The Court New York".

The attributes were: Free Internet, Pet Friendly, Fitness Center, and Business Centre - 85% TA rating.

Thanks for all your help.

Andrew.

Congrats on your success. :)

Very good deal for this former W property. Hope you are pleased with the result and are looking forward to your stay.

If you look under the trip information in your Hot.wire account (click "My Account" in the upper corner of Hot.wire) are there any other amenities associated with this listing? Thanks.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]