Priceline Hotel: 4* Charleston (Downtown) The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel

shglasser
By shglasser,
in

Need help identifying name your price hotels in downtown Charleston. If there's more information I can provide please let me know. I'm really most interested in the 4 star. Thanks!

5 Star - pool, pets allowed, fitness center, free internet, business center, 8 or higher review

4.5 Star - pool, pets allowed, fitness center, free internet, business center, 8 or higher review

4 Star - only listed as guest review of 7 or higher

I'm not seeing the 4* when searching for your dates, i'm seeing a 4* for $215/nite with an 8.0+ user review rating and:

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Business Center

... there could be others but my guess for this one would be the Mills House Wyndham Grand or the Renaissance Charleston Historic District.

Why the interest in the 4 star, is it based upon price? What are the room rates of the properties above on your search? (please include the room rates in your posts as it makes it easier for us to find the same hotel when replicating your search) What is your budget for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Maybe I'm doing this wrong? The hotels I listed were under 'name your price' and when I go to that section on my laptop I don't see any prices, just asked to 1) enter dates 2) choose area (downtown for me) 3) choose star level and 4) name your own price

The only price I see is the retail value for each star level shown next to the  name your own price. The reason I said 4 star, is that when I was looking at 'name your own price' on my iphone app versus my laptop, it does give a suggested price and also states that there was a 4 star recently booked for $191 a night (not sure why information would be different on Priceline app versus standard web site).

As far as my price range, if I can't get a four star or better for under $200 a night I'm likely to just use my Marriott points instead.

Again, I apologize if I'm looking at this incorrectly or providing the wrong information. I haven't used priceline in a long time but I very much appreciate any help you can provide!

The 'guaranteed amenities' on the bidding side of PRICELINE are amenities that are offered at every hotel in the zone at that star rating, not the amenities of a specific hotel that you're bidding on. Therefore, this information can't be used to guess as to the hotel you will receive.

If you're willing to accept any 4* (or better) hotel in the zone and are willing to bid up to $200/nite you can try as follows:

When bidding 4* in this region you have EIGHT re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Charleston...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Pricing is dynamic and can change quickly in either direction. While prices often came down closer to the stay a few years ago, there have been less in the way of last minute deals. If something is going on or traffic is higher than expected, rates can also head higher. However, if you're seeing a 4* in the same zone on Express deals  for $215 and you've bid up to $200, you're likely extremely close ($2-8, probably) to a win.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'll preface my comments that nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip, but if you're budget is flexible i would be included to take the $215 PRICELINE EXPRESS deal (or bid a little higher up to this amount)

With 'regular retail' rates at $340+ per nite it appears that demand is already fairly strong for these dates, and $215/nite would still give you a pretty nice $125+/nite savings vs. the lowest price 4* hotel you're able to find otherwise (and the 3.5* PRICELINE EXPRESS hotel is $204/nite and the 3* hotel $278/nite).

While it's certainly possible that rates head lower (just as they could head higher or hotels could pull all 'opaque' inventory or sell-out), it would take a somewhat substantial drop in retail rates to see a substantial drop in opaque rates.

Let us know whatever you decide to do and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Thanks again for all your help. The thing I'm noticing is that the Priceline.express fees appear to be substantially higher than on name your own price, i.e. 30% plus vs under 20%, so you're giving up a good piece of your savings (I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me when I clicked through to get a final all in price for both).

I think I'll try the name your own price one more tonight and if I don't get it I'll book a lower level hotel using rewards points.

Wish me luck and thanks again, much appreciated!

Are you typing the same bid price as the PRICELINE EXPRESS rate (since the taxes/fees would be based upon the room rate)... i just tested on a $186/nite hotel room and the total difference i fees/tax between PRICELINE bidding and PRICELINE EXPRESS was $1 (which on a $186/nite hotel room is less than 1%)

Let us know whatever you end up doing for this trip (even if not PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, you cancel the trip, book direct, etc)

Good luck!

Thanks for all your help, ended up paying a little more than I had wanted, but looks like a great hotel in the location I wanted for a significant discount off of retail.

To expand upon my earlier note, the taxes and fees were materially lower as a percentage of the room cost using Name Your Price versus Express Deal. I'm not sure why this was, but when I got the final invoice breakdown it showed taxes of $338.94 and a separate line for fees, which showed a credit of $106.68, for a net taxes and fees charge of $232.26! I'm not sure if you've seen this before, seemed strange to me, but I'm not complaining!

Congratulations on your success!

While perhaps a bit more than you originally anticipated needing to pay, glad to see the location works well for your plans and you're pleased with the discounted rate.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]