Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown Central) Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel

Mtownmom
By Mtownmom,
in

It's been a while since I've bid on Priceline and feeling a little overwhelmed over whether to try the NYOP route or a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal.  First time in NYC and planning to do all the "touristy" things, so looks like any of the centrally located Manhattan zones would work.  (Any thoughts about that appreciated)  But I've never bid on a city with so many zones....and this expensive!  We are planning to walk and take the subway everywhere.  Of course, I know that the only thing guaranteed in a PL bid is double occupancy in the  zones selected at a certain level....but the top of our "wish" list would be a room with a good view of the city.  Really not picky about even as low as a 3 star as long as it's not a zone where one comes up often that is notoriously on everyone's "bad list".  There will be two different stays - August 31 for one night (then a five night cruise), then another four nights beginning Sept 6.   Are there any typical Express Deal hotels where guests typically get a room with a good view?  I do have cancellable back-ups booked for both stays - Hilton Garden Inn Midtown East for the Aug 31 stay at $149 plus tax;  Hampton Inn in Financial District for Sept 6-10.  It has rates varying from $194 to $350 for a total with tax of $1281.  Probably not the most ideal location, but we are doing Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Wall Street, etc. so it's close to some of our intended destinations.  Thanks for any insight!            

Please use different topics for each leg of your stay so that the title of each thread can be used to reflect what you ultimately decide to do for each leg of your trip. We will use this thread for your pre-cruise stay of 8/31, feel free to start a NEW TOPIC for your return stay.

For your non-opaque purchases/back-up reservations please use the links in our Support Page or our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com.

To answer your question(s) above:

There is no way to increase the chances of a room with a view (unless you can find a PRICELINE EXPRESS listing that shows 'bed choice' and one of the choices lists a view within the room description.

As far as PRICELINE bidding vs. PRICELINE EXPRESS you need to decide what is more important to you... if lowest price is the most important aspect then bidding on PRICELINE is usually your best bet; if you want to take a guess as to the hotel you will receive or know how other perceive the hotel (based upon the user review ratings) then PRICELINE EXPRESS is likely your better option.

For 8/31, Sunday nite is the slowest nite for NYC hotels (tourists have already gone home and business travelers have not yet arrived) and at current rates i don't think it will be too difficult to beat your back-up reservation... let us know how you'd like to proceed for this nite and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I apologize for the delay in responding and thank you for the insight.  Decided to do NYOP for both legs of the trip.   I will use this thread for my strategy for the 1 night of Sunday, 8/31.  I think since it's just the one night on this leg of the trip and it's a slow time, I will try for a nicer hotel for this one.  Maybe $200 max and what star level do you think that we could get with that max bid?

And I will definitely use the links for my bidding. :)

Thanks!!

If you want the nicest hotel within your budget for this trip i'd consider the 4.5* hotel in the MTE zone with:

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Business Center

The rate is $188/nite, but until tomorrow using code METRO6 will take an extra 5% OFF.

If you want to weigh if the extra half star is worth the extra money, i think you can likely get a 4* hotel for this nite for $120 or less.

HOTWIRE also has a 4* hotel in the MTC zone for $127/nite which i'm guessing to be the Sheraton New York, which if correct, would be a good centralized location for this day/nite in the city as well as be convenient to the port the following day (assuming you are leaving from the Manhattan Pier (and not Red Hook or Bayonne))

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how it goes or how you'd like to proceed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok - I think convenience & lower price wins out! :)    But is it $120 now?  I don't see a Hotwire $127 in MTC, but see a $120 with pet friendly, smoke free rooms, fitness center, restaurant, business center, self-service laundry, internet access.  Favorite - 90%recommended.  Is that the one?

If you want to try to target the Sheraton it is the 4* MTC hotel on HOTWIRE (~$127/nite.. your price may differ by a few dollars) with:

Pet Friendly

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

--> my guess for this one would be the Sheraton New York

If you're open to other hotels in this or another midtown location, then i think you can likely get something for $120 or less. (if you want to go this route let us know which zones would be acceptable and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]