Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Midtown East) 11/1 - 11/8/14 or 11/2 - 11/9/14

McGonzo
By McGonzo,
in

Hi,

Have quite a bit of variability which should make this interesting.  Want to stay in Manhattan, near a subway, midtown to downtown somewhere.  Looking for a 3.5 or more stars.  Staying seven nights starting either 11/1 or 11/2/14. Amenities preferred:

Gym

public hot tub

Internet access (does Manhattan have free net?)

Free ride from the airports?

From what I have heard, I'd like to avoid Sheraton in Midtown East.

TIA.  I work from home so I can make multiple tests per day if that works.  And I can do Hotwire as well. 

First, what would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

A few thoughts/notes on the above:

There is no way to specify a hot tub. You can search for a hotel with pool, but pools aren't all that common at NYC hotels. Many hotels do have gym and all should have internet (but few are going to offer free internet.) No hotels offer a free shuttle from the airport. You may not get a hotel *right* by a subway station, you have to be willing to stay anywhere within the shaded zone.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Few comments:

Gym

--> most have, if not, you can usually find a short-term or free trial membership at a nearby gym

public hot tub

--> almost non-existent in NYC

Internet access (does Manhattan have free net?)

--> a few offer free internet throughout the property, some only in the lobby. Daily fees run about $10-$15/day but depending upon your needs, for short term use (i assume that's not what you need) there are always Starbucks and McDonald's around which offer free wi-fi, you can also see if worthwhile to sign-up with a tethering plan with your cellular provider for the month.

--> less common than hot tubs :lol: but if you let me know which airport you're arriving from, and if traveling solo or how many total people, i can advise you of your options/costs

From what I have heard, I'd like to avoid Sheraton in Midtown East.

--> i'm not sure which Sheraton you're referring to (the Sheraton New York in MTW perhaps??) Please provide the address or full name of the hotel if you're looking to avoid a specific property.

Are you willing to pay more (if still within your $230/nite budget) for a higher rated hotel OR is the goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay? What is more important... price, convenience, or hotel quality?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

--> less common than hot tubs

:D

--> i'm not sure which Sheraton you're referring to (the Sheraton New York in MTW perhaps??) Please provide the address or full name of the hotel if you're looking to avoid a specific property.

Not sure. I've heard from others that it is on (or was) the Priceline Midtown West list and people were avoiding that whole section to stay away from that hotel. This was a few years ago, though.

--> Are you willing to pay more (if still within your $230/nite budget) for a higher rated hotel OR is the goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay? What is more important... price, convenience, or hotel quality?

The goal is ratings within $230.

--> Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Will do. Thanks.

I've found code metro6 that gives 5% off if booked by Aug 25th.

Whoops, that's just PRICELINE EXPRESS. :(

PRICELINE EXPRESS is certainly still worth exploring and with the 5% added, that narrows the spread between bidding and PRICELINE EXPRESS. If there are any listings of interest on PRICELINE EXPRESS, please provide the zone, star rating, price per night and full list of amenities showing with the listing.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

The goal is ratings within $230.

If you search PRICELINE EXPRESS (using BiddingHelper.com) you can easily filter by 3.5 and higher rated hotels, then click the PRICE button at the top of the list of hotels... you'll then have all 3.5* hotel higher hotels sorted by price from low to high.

There are 9 hotels that are priced at $241 or lower (taking into account the extra 5% OFF which keeps you within your $230/nite budget)... some of them even 4* rated. So getting something within your desired star rating and budget shouldn't be an issue... so what is the next criteria that is important to you for this stay?

Or do you simply want the least expensive 4* (or 3.5*) within your $230 budget and therefore would like to move forward by bidding on PRICELINE? If this is your gameplan, please list (by PRICELINE name) the zone(s) you're willing to accept and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow (and exclude any zones where you are trying to avoid a specific hotel in the zone).

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

PS- if it was the Sheraton New York in the MTW zone that you were referring to, that property was renovated not too long ago and i haven't heard anything too bad (no more/less) about this property in quite some time.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yep, that's it.  So let's go for the best price on a 4*.  Thanks for the info on the Sheraton.

11 Midtown East, 12 Midtown West, 16 Times Square Theatre District all seem like the best areas for us. 

For second tier, I'd put in 5 Downtown/financial, 6 Empire State Building, 2 Central Park South and 14 Queensborough bridge

I'll take second tier to save $20 a night or more.

And there are three different weeks we can do, 7 days starting on

10/31, 1/1 or 1/2.

After reviewing the Price.line site (using your link :) ), I see that there are several zones that max out at 4 stars.  So perhaps a strategy of trying for a 4.5 star hotel would be worthwhile, I should be able to get a mountain of rebids.  What do you think?  I realize I'll pay a bit more, but seems like I could get 4.5 for less than my $230. . .

What about this strategy for rebids?  Imagine two target zones and two filler zones.  Target zones are acceptable winners and filler zones do not have any hotels of sufficient rating.  Target zones are a and b.  Filler zones are y and z.

In order, bid:

a

b

ay

az

ayz

by

bz

byz

ab

aby

abz

abyz

Can I reset the zone list like this?  Meaning, bid on zone a only, then switch to b only?

10/31, 1/1 or 1/2.

I assume the above should be Nov 1 or Nov 2 (and not Jan 1 or Jan 2)??

...but seems like I could get 4.5 for less than my $230...

What are you basing this on, as usually there is a fairly bid price jump between 4* and 4.5* hotels in NYC, and if i'm correct on your dates above being November and not January, i think a 4.5* will cost $300+. You could certainly try, but i'd be surprised if you were successful.

To determine your re-bid zones you need to follow the method here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, as you have NINE re-bid zones at the 4.5* level... only ONE re-bid zone at the 4* level. Feel free to confirm your re-bid zones with the board, or if you have read the re-bid thread and are confused, try the following:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter your city and dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

For 11/1 to 11/8:

1:  Brooklyn 4

2: Central Park South 5

3:  Chelsea 4.5

4:  Coney Island (disabled - no hotels?  Or booked solid?  Closed for the season?)

5:  Downtown 5

6:  Empire State 5

7:  Hells Kitchen 4 (wasn't this a really bad part of town?)

8:  Long Island City 4

9:  Lower East Side 4

10:  Madison Square Gardens 4

11: Midtown East 5

12:  Midtown West 4.5 (!  No 5?!)

13:  Morningside Heights/Harlem 3.5

14:  Queensborough 3

15: SoHo 5

16: Time Square 5

17:  Union Square 4

18:  Upper East Side 5

19:  Upper West Side 4

The information above is correct, so are you able to determine your NINE re-bid zones at the 4.5* level? (and TWO re-bid zones at the 4* level)?

4:  Coney Island (disabled - no hotels?  Or booked solid?  Closed for the season?)

Price.line does not currently offers hotels in this zone

7:  Hells Kitchen 4 (wasn't this a really bad part of town?)

You're the second person who has asked this in the last week (and i don't think it has been asked in over 3-4 years previously so i'm not sure if there is some new 'bad' information on the web) but this area is perfectly fine and as safe as any other area of the city, imo. The name is 'left over' from about 20-30 years ago when this was a bad area, but as Times Square got cleaned up so did this area, and Ninth area is filled with restaurant after restaurant as it's a vibrant area. The hotels in this zone tend to be a bit far west, so geographically not the most convenient, but the area itself if perfectly acceptable.

Given my comments above regarding a 4.5* likely running $300+... a 4* closer to the $200 area, let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

To recap:

4* hotel up to $230/nite

Which date set did you decide upon? (or are both acceptable?)

Which zones are you willing to stay in? (don't include re-bid zones here, just the zones which are available for bidding and that you're willing to stay in)

Please confirm the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Yep, that's it.  So let's go for the best price on a 4*.  Thanks for the info on the Sheraton.

11 Midtown East, 12 Midtown West, 16 Times Square Theatre District all seem like the best areas for us. 

For second tier, I'd put in 5 Downtown/financial, 6 Empire State Building, 2 Central Park South and 14 Queensborough bridge

I'll take second tier to save $20 a night or more.

10/31, 11/1 or 11/2.

How familiar are you with NYC?

Quuensborough Bridge is not really considered much of a desirable area for the average visitor, as well, there have been some changes in the last few days, and this zone no longer offers 4* bidding.

The CPS zone contains the Hudson Hotel which, while well located, has notoriously small rooms... would this be acceptable?

Also, while most of the 4* MTE properties are well located, some can be a 10-15 minute walk to the subway... would this be acceptable?

Lastly, Downtown is usually do-able, but not as convenient as most midtown locations... this zone is mostly used if you have reason to be spending most of your time in this area OR if midtown is prohibitively expensive.

Is there a reason you're avoiding the MSG zone and/or Chelsea?

Please confirm your zones and/or questions on the board and we'll proceed accordingly.

If the dates really don't matter i would start with 11/2/2014 to 11/9/2014

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* TS...

Select 4* Chelsea...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB...

Select 4* MSG...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE and TS...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea and ESB...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* Chelsea and MSG...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, ESB, MSG...

Bid $170

If the above is rejected (which i think is likely) you can wait 24 hours and we will revise the numbers higher, OR if you're willing to add Chelsea (or whatever zones is your favorite in 'Tier 2' to your original three zones you can get this done now as follows:

Select 4* MTE and Chelsea...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW and Chelsea...

Select 4* TS and Chelsea...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and Chelsea...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE and TS and Chelsea...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

If this too is rejected, HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the MTE zone for $201/nite for 11/2-11/9 with:

Indoor Pool

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Tennis

... best guess here would be the One UN New York and you can take this deal.

OR

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* in the MTE zone for $219/nite (but METRO6 takes this down 5% to $209/nite) with Restaurant and Business Center amenities (these amenities apply to most 4* hotels in NYC but my guess here would be the Roosevelt)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]