Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown West) New York Hilton Midtown

idansha
By idansha,
in

Hello, 

I'm looking for 3.5* hotel. I guess my last minute strategy backfired on me a bit. 

So I'm willing to split the time to 2 different hotels if necessary

Goal is: 110 a nite, willing up to 130$ a nite.

Prefer 4* but willing to go 3.5 (girlfriend saw some express deals for 3* that include shared bathrooms and got scared off that).

Prefer: Chelsea, Central Park South

Acceptable: Midtown east, midtown west, times square 

Thanks in Advance for any help! 

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Unfortunately, you're likely looking at more around the $145-160 level for a 3.5* in Midtown for these dates. $110 is really a price level that's largely seen during the slowest times of year (Jan-Mar.) I'd be curious regarding where shared bathrooms were noted, as I'd be very surprised if any 3*'s offered shared bathrooms in NYC (and no hotels with shared bathrooms have been reported to the board.)

Would a bit higher than $130 be acceptable? In terms of splitting the stay, the back half of the stay looks a little bit better than the first half, but not enough to really justify splitting (and I think the per night average would likely still be a bit over $130.)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for quick reply. 

Some of the nights I saw there's midtown express deal for 140 and some were 170 so thought splitting would help (on last night there express deal for 100!) 

I already got plane tickets so I'll take whatever cheapest offer :) 

Is midtown cheaper than Chelsea and south the park? 

Will try to look for those shared bathrooms, couldn't find them either but girlfriend swears on them :) 

Some of the nights I saw there's midtown express deal for 140 and some were 170 so thought splitting would help (on last night there express deal for 100!)

At what star rating and zones are these offers?

In NYC Friday-Monday are usually the least expensive stays (as weekend dates are mostly only tourists, whereas midweek dates are tourists and business people... Sunday nites even cheaper since many tourists have gone home and the business people have not yet arrived)... so it makes sense that the last 3 nites of your stay are less expensive, but i'm not currently seeing anything near $100 within Manhattan for these dates on PRICELINE EXPRESS.

The least expensive i'm seeing is a 3.5* in the Financial District for $130/nite.

For 8/19-8/22 i'm seeing 3-3.5* properties in the $185 area.

... averaging these gives a rate of about $155-$160, which is about the same rate as hotels i'm seeing for your complete stay, so i dont' think SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID would necessarily benefit you much (as well as have slightly higher booking fees and the inconvenience of needing to change hotels mid-trip)

The best star rating / price value for your dates would appear to be the 4* hotel in the MSG zone for $157/nite (but use code METRO6 to take an extra 5% OFF this rate, bringing your cost down to $150/nite):

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Business Center

Fitness Center

... best guess for this property would be the Wyndham New Yorker.

Does this work for your needs?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Regarding areas: 

Stars: 3.5 (even 3 if you say downfall isn't big and that it's private bathrooms for certain) 

Would much rather go down to the 130 prices.. would you recommend bidding 130-140 for first part and 120-130 for last part? or you suspect it won't work

more of anecdote but the 8/24-8/25 has great prices

Regarding areas: 

Note that the CPS zone has the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards)... would this be acceptable? Also note that some hotels in the MTE zone can be a 10-15 minute walk to the subway... would this be acceptable?

Are you familiar with NYC? If so (or if not), why the zones above? (and not MSG and/or ESB??)

Would much rather go down to the 130 prices.. would you recommend bidding 130-140 for first part and 120-130 for last part? or you suspect it won't work

If you confirm the zone(s) you're willing to accept (after taking into account my comments above) we will suggest a strategy for you to try, but even if successful at $130/$140 or less (which is possible but i'd think a little less than a 50/50 chance), you have to decide if saving $10-$20/nite is worth needing to change hotels mid-trip.

more of anecdote but the 8/24-8/25 has great prices

This confirms my comments above regarding the solo nite of Sunday being the least expensive nite of the week, but it looks like PRICELINE is averaging this nite into rates when you include this with other nites of your stay, so i don't see much advantage in buying this nite solo.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm slightly familiar. ESB is also possible. Hell's kitchen has bad reputation and MSG proximity to there, combined with  my unexplained preference to east (other than Chelsea) throw me off that.

MTE is acceptable.

if splitting is not game changer I agree that it's preferable to avoid that.

I'm up for your suggestions :)  

Hell's kitchen has bad reputation...

In what regard?? This was not a nice area (thus the name) in the 80's/90's but in the last 10+ years or so i'd consider it to be as safe as just about any other area of the city (if safety is the issue you're referring to). While some of the hotels in the HK zone are not the most conveniently located, i can understand avoiding the zone due to location/convenience, but to exclude MSG due to its proximity to to HK isn't a concern, imo.

As well, if you look at the Wyndham New Yorker (the property we guessed for the 4* HOTWIRE hotel offered for the full length of your stay) it is just 4 blocks from the Chelsea zone, so convenient to Chelsea but also convenient to the subway (with multiple lines being across the street at Penn Station)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed. (and if by bidding on PRICELINE please list the zones you're willing to accept (as you also didn't comment as to whether MTE and/or CPS are both acceptable based upon my previous comments above))

In Tier 3 what zone is EMS? (should this be ESB?)

Are you willing to pay more to stay in your first tier of zones vs. your second tier vs. your third tier, etc, etc... OR is the goal the least expensive hotel in any of your acceptable zones?

It's not clear (or maybe i lost track) if you're currently looking to bid the complete stay OR split the bid (and what your maximum bid would be for the complete stay vs. your maximum bid for each leg of your stay if you decide to split), but as noted above, i think you'd be lucky to get anything within the $130 and/or $140 limits (depending upon which nites/leg you're bidding)... a few weeks ago you could have played around with all the various options, but with 2 days to go before your arrival, i would focus more on getting a good deal than pinning your hopes on a best case scenario.

Sorry, i'm not decisive enough.. 

I'm willing to go up to 150 a nite at max for a 3.5*. 

Looking to get the best deal up to that price. 

I'm willing to go down a tier if it reduces 20$ a nite 

You commented that splitting won't give me significantly better deal (20$ a nite difference) so I won't go for that.

(Yes, meant ESB) 

I'm willing to go up to 150 a nite at max for a 3.5*.

Given the 4* PRICELINE EXPRESS hotel above for $150/nite (after the METRO6 code) at what point do we stop bidding at the 3.5* level and bid the 4* level? (for example, does bidding a 3.5* hotel at $148/nite make sense when knowing that there is a 4* available at $150? For some maybe the $2/nite savings is worth the lower half star rating, but for me that is not a good value, imo)

Looking to get the best deal up to that price.

Then i would bid all acceptable zones (using a systematic strategy of course) and let PRICELINE award the one with the lowest acceptance price. (once you answer the question immediately above we will suggest a strategy for you to follow)

I'm willing to go down a tier if it reduces 20$ a nite

Go down per your tiers listed above OR down a star rating? If your tiers then this contradicts (my interpretation of) your comment above that you're looking for the best deal.

Please clarify and we'll try to advise accordingly.

EDIT TO ADD: keep in mind that should the 4* PRICELINE EXPRESS deal at $150 disappear while you're trying to compile a 'best case scenario' for a few extra dollar savings, i think you're looking at another $20 per nite added to the best deal you would currently able to get.

Is this what you're saying:

tier 1 - Chelsea, CPS, --> $150 limit

tier 2 - Midtown east, midtown west, Times Square --> $130 limit

tier 3 - EMS, MSG --> $110 limit

tier 4 - union square --> $90 limit

If the above is correct, i don't think you'll be successful, but i also think you need to start bidding, so we'll get you started and if the above is rejected we'll revise accordingly:

Select 3.5* Chelsea...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Chelsea and CPS...

Bid $150, if the above is rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

-----------------

Select 3.5* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW...

Select 3.5* TS...

Select 3.5* MTE and MTW...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTE and TS...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, Chelsea...

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, CPS...

Select 3.5* MTE, TS, Chelsea...

Bid $123, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTE, Chelsea, CPS...

Select 3.5* MTW, TS, Chelsea...

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Chelsea, CPS, MTE, MTW...

Bid $128, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Chelsea, CPS, MTE, TS...

Bid $128, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, TS, Chelsea, CPS...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

------------------

Select 3.5* ESB...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MSG...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea...

Bid $103, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MSG and CPS...

Bid $103, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and CPS...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MSG and Chelsea...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB, MSG, Chelsea...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB, MSG, CPS...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB, MSG, Chelsea, CPS...

Bid $110

------------------------------

Start with the above, if rejected we'll take it from there.

Any questions feel free to ask... good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]