Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower) Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile

erinbharris
By erinbharris,
in

I've been following these boards, and bidding via your links for years now. I have never encountered a wall like this, am I bidding too early? My uncle needs a room in Chicago from October 16-20. I have gone as high as $180 for a 4* in both Millennium Park and North Michigan and can't get anything. Am I bidding too early?

Thank you.

There's a fairly sizable convention going on during most of this period that is likely causing the high rates (although rates still seem on the high side for the portion where the convention isn't occurring.) What would be the desired max bid per night for this stay? Is your uncle driving in? 

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I've been following these boards, and bidding via your links for years now.

Glad to hear you have found the board helpful and are using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

It would be appreciated if you also started to share your wins so that others can benefit from the information, just as you have benefited from those who have posted before you.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You've gone up to $180 and I'm seeing 4*'s on Hot.wire North and South of the river for around $210-225. So, while these dates are unfortunately expensive, you can tell that at least the "ceiling" is not substantially higher. If anything, you are likely very close ($195-210) from a win.

Or you can consider the options that Hot.wire or PRICELINE EXPRESS are offering, to see if they might be more appealing than risking getting any of the hotels in the zone via a bid. Or you could go down a star rating, but 3.5* doesn't look vastly cheaper than 4*. Some of the 3* options South of the river aren't great. There are some very nice properties at the 3*/3.5* level in the NMA area. 

In terms of wanting to be more convenient to the football game, that's understandable, but you may want to consider NMA if a lot of the remaining time is going to be spent there sightseeing.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

What is the best course really depends on the situation - what is the traveler's priority?  Price, amenities, location?

I do see - and wasn't seeing it a minute ago - what appears to be the Public for $185 on Hot.wire. That is a very nice hotel - it used to be a legendary, very historic property but was recently given a significant facelift. Some aspects of the property couldn't be changed (the walls are thin, but that is a core building issue), but I quite liked my stay there recently. Other aspects of this property are a real value, including less expensive room service and free wifi (the hotel is the first in a planned chain of more "value-oriented" boutiques.)

I'm also seeing a 4* in the Loop on Hot.wire for $164, which I'm guessing may be the Allegro.

Please let us know if either of these would be of interest - I'd be happy to point out the listings, as you may see slightly different prices.

I would be interested in either of those if you think the locations are good. They'll mostly be walking, so are hoping for somewhere with restaurants and attractions close by. I think both would do it? I'm searching Hotwire with 4 adults in hopes of getting two beds. I am also searching in Canadian dollars which is likely changing my results.

Are there four adults in the party or 2 adults hoping to get more than 1 bed? If the latter, I'd try searching for 2 adults and 2 children (even if there isn't two children.) Searching for 2a/2c is less likely going to result in extra person fees, which will almost certainly be seen if you search for 4 adults.

Additionally, in terms of PRICELINE bidding, only 1 bed/double occupancy is guaranteed. You may be able to request 2 beds by calling the hotel or Price.line, but both may say no.

Let me know if the party is 2 adults or 4 adults and I would be happy to go through the options that I'm seeing on Hot.wire (you will likely see some different options based upon what you're searching for.)

When I search for 2a/2c, I see:

The prices you see may vary slightly:

3* Lincoln Park-Lakeview w/Complimentary Breakfast

Smoke Free

Laundry

For $153. On the detail page, there is a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating. My guess is that this may be the Willows or Majestic. Both are in the very nice Lincoln Park neighborhood - tons of restaurants, lots of nightlife, some sights (Old Town, LP Zoo) and a lot of transit options to downtown. This isn't the most convenient, but it's somewhat more reasonable than other options, great area and free breakfast, not to mention great reviews.

4* Loop:

Pet Friendly

Boutique

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Spa

Bathroom Accessible

Roll-in Shower

For $186. This is likely the Allegro. The West portion of the Loop area is office-heavy and, as a result, can be quiet later at night. In the blocks right around this property, you may also see things like McDonalds, Starbucks, etc closed on Saturday and/or Sunday. The nearby Chicago French Market, which is one of my favorite stops, is closed on Sunday. While not the most optimal downtown location, you are downtown and transit is right there.

4* Mag Mile/WT:

Boutique
Fitness
Restaurant
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower

For $221, which may be the Rafaello.

4*  Mag Mile-RN

Pet Friendly
Boutique
Indoor Pool
Fitness
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Spa

$243. Likely the W Lakeshore.

Personally, I think the 3* boutique w/breakfast in Lincoln Park is interesting if the father/son want a more neighborhood feel - again, lots nearby including Lincoln Park. The Allegro isn't the most optimal downtown location, but that's the cheapest HOTWIRE listing when searching for 2/2.

If you search for only 2 people, results are moderately cheaper and some options are different.

If you started low and bid up to $180 without success, I'd try starting again lower ($120 and working higher by $5's) and bidding for NMA-River North and the Millennium Park zones. What appears to be the Allegro is showing for $157 when searching for 2 people only on HOTWIRE.

However, again - keep in mind if you bid there's a real chance that there may only be 1 bed. 

Let us know if you have any questions before bidding.

You're great, Aaron. Thank you so much for all your help. I'm not going to take a chance with beds by bidding. I've decided to keep looking at Hot.wire options. I agree with you that that Lincoln Park option is best-but they want to be closer to the pier for some reason. The Allegro (spelling) seems like it's in a bit of an awkward spot. So, I'm going to keep looking. I'll keep you updated, and again-thank you.

Navy Pier is - in my opinion - really a tourist trap. There's nothing really unique about it, with restaurants that include...a really expensive McDonald's. Even if not Lincoln Park, I really wouldn't focus the hotel location around being near Navy Pier - there are so many other uniquely Chicago spots for a beer and/or views (and definitely restaurants.)

I just took a look and am seeing what appear to be the same listings today for these dates.

I think my issue is that I look at the situation from the perspective of someone who has lived in the area all their life. I do like the W properties in the city, but $242 is really very steep (over $200 on Hot.wire for hotels downtown in general is very steep) for either of them (and that doesn't include taxes and fees.) Personally, as someone familiar with the area and lets say if I had to go to the city for a particular set of dates (I had to go downtown for a wedding or convention) and was faced with the same options, I really wouldn't hesitate to go with Lincoln Park. It's a really nice area, I could go try some cool new restaurants, I could walk over to the Zoo (or Old Town) and a number of other things. It's a bit more effort to get downtown, but really not bad. Plus, if I got breakfast, just another positive in that direction.

If I had to choose from what's downtown, I'd look for what's cheaper. The potential Allegro is $189, I'm seeing what may be the Raffaello for $219 and what may be the W for nearly $250.

If the Raffello is the $219, that's a great location right off Michigan Ave. The Allegro is a very nice hotel, but that spot of downtown is somewhat inconvenientThe message 

Or, the other option becomes searching for 2 on Hot.wire, bidding or using PRICELINE EXPRESS - those options would be cheaper but one bed is the risk (and it becomes is there is a level of savings where it would be worth the risk.)

It's too bad they're not driving, as the suburbs would likely be less/much less (probably around $55-65 for a 3.5*) than half of downtown (although require a train ride in.)

The message system should hopefully work now if you need to send me a private message, sorry about that.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all before booking.

If you're monitoring rates i'd suggest setting alerts with our new site RateDrop.

You select the zone, star rating, and price... we will send you an email any time the rate drops below the price you specify. (works for HOTWIRE, PRICELINE EXPRESS, and 'named hotels' (regular retail rates))

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if/how we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are two that I'm curious about...

Searching 2/2 for October 16-20.

$255 MM/River North 3 1/2* 90% recommended.

Amenities: fitness, pool, business, restaurant, internet

Loop... 4* $276/night 100% recommended boutique hotel.

Amenities: pets, boutique, restaurant, fitness, internet, laundry, business.

My brain is so fried from looking that it feels a bit mushy

Thank you again for your help.

What I'm seeing this morning when searching for 2a/2c for 10/16-20: The prices that you see may vary slightly-somewhat.

4* Mag Mile RN - $245 Boutique, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Pet Friendly Likely W Lakeshore

4* Downtown-MP-GP $252 Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower Likely Hyatt (on Wacker)

4* Mag Mile N-WT $245 - Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower - A likely guess would be the Raffaello.

3.5* Mag Mile-RN $255 - Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business  Would likely be the Doubletree Mag Mile.

4* Downtown-MP-GP $263 - Boutique, Restaurant, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly - Likely Burnham

4* Downtown-MP-GP $276 - Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Pet Friendly. Not yet ID'd/reported to the board - I'd guess the Monaco with a lesser possibility being the Wit.

-----------

HOTWIRE 10/16-18 (splitting the stay) 2a/2c

4* Mag Mille-RN $210 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower. Possibly the Hotel Chicago, Felix or Palomar, but I'd guess Chicago is most likely.

4* Mag Mile N-WT $202 - Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower Likely Knickerbocker.

---------

HOTWIRE 10/18-20 (splitting) 2a/2c:

4* Mag Mile-WT $260 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower. My guess would be Raffaello.

4* Downtown-MP-GP $274 Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly. Likely Fairmont.

-----------------------------------------

PRICELINE EXPRESS 10/16-20

3.5* River North-NMA $223. Indoor Pool, Restaurant, Free Internet in room, Business Center, Fitness Center. Not yet ID'd/reported to the board, but I'd guess the Doubletree Mag Mile.

4* Loop $173. Pets, Business, Restaurant. I'd guess Allegro.

4* NMA $209 - Restaurant, Business. Not yet ID'd, unfortunately amenities are very common.

In terms of PRICELINE EXPRESS, you could very possibly get one bed - is that okay?

Let us know if you have any questions before booking.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]