Priceline Hotel: Help bidding in NYC - Oct 11-15

caviar
By caviar,
in

Hi there!

I'm new to bidding and found out about this site. Great resource for information!! I plan on using the links provided.

I was wondering whether it would be at all possible to find a 4* hotel for USD 200 or less on Oct 11-15. I would like to stay in the Times Square or Midtown East/Central/West areas. Any advice, such as on how much to start bidding?

Also, besides the room cost, on average how much more will I have to pay per night in taxes/fees to Price.line / Hot.wire?

Thanks!

Leo

Welcome to BetterBidding!

NYC hotel tax is about 15% and you should figure about $8/day for booking fees... but a more accurate picture would be to do a search at PRICELINE and/or HOTWIRE (or using our BiddingHelper.com to see both in one search). For HOTWIRE click thru an offer, then click BOOK IT and you'll see the total price all-in... for PRICELINE enter a bid amount and on the next page you'll see a summary of the total should your bid be accepted (you can do both of the above before entering any credit card information so no fear of accidentally booking by mistake ;) )

Searching HOTWIRE for your dates, all of the 4* hotels in Manhattan are slightly over your budget, so would you want to try bidding first? If so, please let us know which zones, by PRICELINE name, you're willing to accept and we'll take it from there (and please also confirm your maximum bid price of $200/nite... although if you could stretch another $20 or so per nite i think it would improve your chances)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, or any additional questions you have, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your help! I have time, so I'd indeed like to bid first. I wouldn't want to pay more than 200usd, but i will pay 20-40usd more if necessary.

In order of preference, I would like to stay in:

1) Times Square

2) Midtown West

3) Midtown East

I found a 4* on Priceline.Express for 238USD/night in Midtown East with the following description: 

Rated 7.0 out of 10 (or higher)

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Business Center

However, I can't find something that matches the description. There are also some for 240USD/night in Midtown East/Central on Hot.wire, but I can't quite figure out what hotels they could be.

Thanks again!

The 4* MTE on Price.line Express would almost certainly be the OneUN.

You can find the list of Hot.wire hotels reported to the board here: Hotwire Hotel List New York.  (the list also includes the amenities that have been seen with each.)

If you would like help trying to confirm an ID for a listing, please provide the full list of amenities associated with the listing (including accessible amenities), price per night (in USD$ before taxes/fees), star rating and zone.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

What about bidding? At what amount should I start on Priceline or Hotwire?

There is no bidding on HOTWIRE, it's similar to PRICELINE EXPRESS, the price you see is the price you pay. If you'd like to bid on PRICELINE let us know your maximum bid and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Also, for the three zones above, i assume the least expensive in any of the three zones is your desired goal (and you're not willing to pay more for the TS zone over the MTE zone, not willing to pay more for MTE over MTW, etc? Also, what about ESB, MSG, and/or Chelsea... are these zones of no interest?

Also, which site is cheaper? Is there any advange of choosing one over the other?

PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE. The advantage of PRICELINE is usually the lower price... the advantage of HOTWIRE is that you know the amenities (if any of them are important to you to have for this stay) and being able to guess as to the hotel you may receive before your purchase; with PRICELINE you have to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the help. I don't know how the bidding works on Price.line. Basically, I should expect to be offered the same hotel from Priceline.Express? For instance, we guessed that the cheapest 4* in MTE would most likely be the OneUN. If I bid a lower amount for a 4* in MTE on Price.line, I should expect to get the OneUN?

Though I would prefer to stay in TS, MTW or MTE (in this order), I'm ok with ESB, MSG and Chelsea as well. I'm willing to pay a maximum of 220usd/night. Any strategy? Also, any possibility of increasing the chance to get a good tripadvisor rating (4.0/4.5) hotel through bidding? I mean, I would rather stay in a 3-3.5* hotel with a good rating than a 4* with an ok rating, such as the OneUN.

Thanks!

...I should expect to be offered the same hotel from PRICELINE EXPRESS?

No, it doesn't work like that as the two sides of their service use a different universe of hotels. If it did work as you speculated, why would anyone purchase the PRICELINE EXPRESS property if they could be certain of getting the same exact hotel when bidding.

Though I would prefer to stay in TS, MTW or MTE (in this order), I'm ok with ESB, MSG and Chelsea as well.

Please be more specific... are you willing to pay more to stay in TS vs. MTW, pay more to be in MTW vs. MTE, etc. etc... OR is the goal the least expensive 4* hotel or better in any of these three zones?

Did you also want to include ESB, MSG, and Chelsea in the bidding or not? (making the goal the least expensive in any of these six zones... or would you pay more to stay in the first 3 zones vs. these 'other' 3 zones??)

Also, any possibility of increasing the chance to get a good tripadvisor rating (4.0/4.5) hotel through bidding?

No, if you want to have a sense of the user reviews of the property before your purchase then PRICELINE EXPRESS or Hot.wire would be a better option.

HOTWIRE does currently have a 4* hotel in the Chelsea zone (says only 1 room left) for $180/nite with:

Free Internet

Boutique

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Blind Accessible

Travel Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

... i'm not certain of this property but a guess would be the Flatiron Hotel. However, this property does have a 4.0/5.0 TA rating and is within your budget, if you indeed really would be willing to take a lower star rated hotel with a higher TA rating (if the Flatiron, this property is 3* rated by PRICELINE)

Let us know the information above and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Hey there!

Yes, I would like to bid.

I'm willing to pay more to stay in TS vs MTW, more to be in MTW vs MTE etc.

I would pay more to stay in "TS, MTW or MTE" vs "ESB, MSG or Chelsea". For instance, I would pay a max of 220 usd for the first three zones and max of 180 usd for the latter three zones (4* hotels).

Thanks!

Leo

You can start with the following:

When bidding 4* in NYC you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

DAY 1:

Select 4* TS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* MTE...

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and MTE...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS, MTW, MTE...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190

If the above is rejected, wait 24 hours from your last rejected bid and follow the strategy below, once again using this PRICELINE link (and NOT the link in any emails priceline may send letting you know your eligible to bid again):

DAY 2:

Select 4* TS...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* MTE...

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and MTE...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS, MTW, MTE...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220

Any questions feel free to ask. If the above is rejected, you could get a 4* hotel in the MTE zone for $226/nite, let us know if you would want to take this OR try for your other three zones.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi there,

Im following the strategy. So far, unsuccessfully (up to 170usd).

I found what seems to be The Kitano on Hot.wire for USD 232.00 in ESB (please confirm if you think it is The Kitano).

For up to 250 USD, would this seem to be the best deal in the aforementioned areas? Do you see any other good deals?

Again, Im looking for 4*+. However, Im ok with 3* or 3.5* if it has a good Tripadvisor review rate.

Im using the links.

Thanks!

I'm seeing a 4* in ESB for $232 for these dates with no amenities, but once I click on it, it says no longer available. I'm really not seeing much else under $250 - rates for these dates are otherwise definitely on the high side.

Under $300 on Hot.wire I'm seeing the W New York ($275), what *may* be the Viceroy ($289) and that's really about it in terms of Midtown under $300.

I'd really consider the 4* Price.line Express listing in MTE for $235 (plus METRO6 coupon takes 5% off.) That does get a 7 guest rating, but that's really the most reasonable option I'm seeing in Midtown on dates that otherwise appear expensive (and October in NYC is expensive in general.)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Im following the strategy. So far, unsuccessfully (up to 170usd).

The strategy above enabled you to bid up to $190 on the first day of bidding and up to $220 on the second day of bidding... did you decide to start lower OR are you not using your re-bid zone(s) and/or all the full zone combinations?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

The ESB 4* on Hot.wire now shows at 227 USD for me. However, I don't know what hotel it is. A few minutes ago, it displayed that the last person got the Kitano. Now it says that the last person got the Marcel at Gramercy (i dont want to stay in this hotel!) Any clue?

Amenities: Boutique Hotel, Restaurant, Business Center, Selfservice Laundry and Internet Access.

Tripadvisor: 4.0 out of 5.0

It also says here 43% off and 7 rooms left.

I gave up bidding. I figured Id rather have some idea of where I will stay...

Thanks for your help!

Anybody out there? :D

I can find now a Midtown West 4*, rating 8.0 or higher on Priceline Express for USD 255.

Amenities: Pets allowed, Restaurant

Any idea?

As I am desperate, I went to the regular Priceline site and filtered my dates, "Pets Allowed", "4 stars" and "Midtown West". I ended up with the following hotels available:

Ink48, a Kimpton hotel - Guest rating 8.8

Doubletree by Hilton NY Times Square - Guest rating 8.0

Hudson - Guest rating 6.5

Do you think this one most likely would be the Doubletree or the Ink48?

Cheers

With only one amenity to go on, it's difficult to really narrow this one down - a new amenity set for the Sheraton would be a possibility, but it could be a number of properties. The Ink48 would fall into the Hell's Kitchen zone on PL EXPRESS - the zones on the PRICELINE EXPRESS side are not the same as the zones on the retail side of the service. The Doubletree TS is also in the TS zone.

On HOTWIRE, I'm seeing what may be the Marcel at Gramercy for $216, possible match for Dream for $238, likely Wyndham New Yorker for $241 and what I'm guessing may be the Flatiron for $260. Let us know if any of these are of interest - you may see a slightly different price.

Are you seeing any other listings of interest on PRICELINE EXPRESS in your desired budget range?

As I am desperate...

Why are you desperate... you have 2+ months before your arrival??

Note that while the Ink48 does get great reviews, the location is not ideal (imo), as it's a little isolated, and about a 10 minute walk to the subway.

Desperate because I want to sort this out asap, so I can go on with my life :) Sorry, I promise this is my last request and I will pick a hotel through the links.

Any idea of what these ones could be?

Hotwire - usd288 - Times Square - 4* - 80% recommend (TA 3.5)

Pet friendly, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, Self service Laundry, Internet Access, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel

Hotwire - usd288 - Times Square - 4* - 90% recommend (TA 4.5)

Pet friendly, Suite, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet access

(this one i found by selecting oct 11-14, if i go for this one, i will switch to another hotel, maybe close to the airport, for the last night)

What do you see as the best hotel for a max of usd 300/night? There is also what seems to be the Viceroy in Midtown Central on Hotwire for usd 295.

Thanks!

Please use the EASY VIEW tab at BiddingHelper.com for your searches and copy/paste the amenities from there, as i think there are more amenities than what you've included above. This is what i'm seeing for the first one:

Pet Friendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... if this is what you're seeing my guess here would be the Millennium Broadway

Second property:

Pet Friendly

Suite

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

... my guess here would be the Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square NYC

As indicated by the TA reviews, the Doubletree is a more highly reviewed property.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]