Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower) Rafaello

sturgmom
By sturgmom,
in

Travel dates are 10/3/14-10/6/14

Hotwire shows 4* Mag Mile Water Tower for $117 w/ 75% recommend.  Amenities are: 

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center
  Restaurant(s)
  Business Center
Self service laundry
  Internet access
Accessibility
Accessible for the blind
Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

**ETA: Hotwire easy view has this @ $115 with the following amenities:

FULL AMENITIES: Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

Another 4* in  Chicago Loop/Theater District for $127 w/ 90% recommend.  Amenities are:

Pet friendly

Indoor pool(s)
  Fitness Center
  Pool(s)
Restaurant(s)
  Business Center
  Self service laundry
  Internet access
Spa Services

**ETA Hotwire easy view has this one for $126 with the following amenities:  FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access, Spa Services, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

Ideas on which hotels these are?  Also, mag mile is more desirable (to us), but the higher rec rate of the theater district hotel is alluring.  Thoughts?

I think the Theater Dist one is the Hard Rock Hotel?  Not sure on the Mag Mile yet....

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

For these hotels I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities for each then what you have listed above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Best guess for the Water Tower property (the first one) would be the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago... for the Loop property (second one) my guess would be a new amenity set for the Hotel Allegro.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Allerton's location is right in the center of the Michigan Ave shopping area. It is an older property with small rooms. Reviews have been very mixed, although I've noticed that the tripadvisor reviews have improved somewhat recently. The Allegro is a very nice Kimpton property. However, it is in the West portion of the Loop - that area does get quiet at night and is on the quiet side on weekends (things like Starbucks in the area right around the Allegro may not be open on Saturday and/or Sunday.) The Chicago French Market, which is one of my favorite food stops, is a fun dining option a few blocks West.

The Allegro is a nicer hotel, but you will have to do some walking (and you can walk along the river, which is always nice) or public transit to get around. Additionally, if you stay out late, you may want to get a taxi back.

What would be your desired max budget per night? I'd be happy to look around and offer other options. I'm also seeing some appealing options when splitting the stay (some different options when searching for just 10/3-5 and just 10/5-6, plus 10/5-6 looks mildly less expensive when viewed separately), but that would likely mean changing hotels.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

95% recommend; Dates 10/3-10/6 2 adults

3.5* Theater Dist.

Amenities:

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Business Center, Internet access, Spa Services, Accessible for the blind, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

$111/nt

Which hotel and is this deal too good to pass up?

Would ideally like to keep our hotel budget under $140/nt, but the less expensive the better (which is why I'm stalking the Hotwire rates).  Would like an area with lively nightlife, though.  Don't need a super fancy room- just something clean!  Sticking with the higher star ratings b/c I don't want to end up in a dump...

Please keep all discussion of this stay within this thread - thanks.

My guess for the 3.5* in the theater district would be the Hotel Blake, which I think would be less convenient than the potential Allegro. As I noted above, there are some better hotel options appearing if you split your stay.

There's also a couple of options right above your desired budget, including a 4* in the River North area. I'm seeing what may be the Raffaello for $150 and what may be the Hotel Chicago for $148.

In terms of differences between staying in the Loop and the NMA area, if you plan to be spending a lot of your time in the NMA area, keep in mind potential cab/transit cost and walking time.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Sorry for the breach of etiquette, and thanks for the advice.

I guess the biggest problem I'm having is that I don't KNOW where we're going to spend most of our time.  Chicago has so much to offer that I'm having a hard time putting together an itinerary.  

The ONLY things that are for sure are a Second City show Green Mill, and Gene and Georgetti's.  We'd like to do some bar hopping as well...

I think it really comes down to if you're going to be out later, I'd recommend staying North of the River, especially if the difference between N/S is not considerable.

Gene and Georgetti's is a wonderful, old school choice with great food and a lot of character. It's a more unique experience. I've eaten at some of the other options and there's certainly some very good ones, but Gene and Georgetti's is memorable. I tried Kinzie Chophouse the other week and it was ... okay.  I was the only person at the table who ordered the chicken and wound up being the envy of the table. Keefer's is another good option nearby and I'm not against Wildfire, although Wildfire wouldn't be my first choice if I was looking for something more special/a more unique experience.

You mention Second City and bar hopping - I do think that you might really like the Lincoln Park neighborhood in general, which is going to offer a diverse array of restaurants and bars, not to mention the Zoo is right there (as is Old Town and Second City.)  People understandably focus a lot of time on Michigan Ave, but I think Lincoln Park is really a lot of fun to browse around (and cheaper overall.) I wouldn't do it late at night, but it's also very easy (at least I think) to walk from the top end of the NMA area to the South end of Lincoln Park and Old Town. It's a very pretty walk, as well, through the Gold Coast neighborhood. Lincoln Park is more 20-30-something, as well.

What else are you interested in doing - any museums of interest? Let me know likes/dislikes and I'd be happy to offer more detailed recommendations. I'd also be happy to offer directions once you lock in a hotel.

I ended up going with a slightly higher price of $148/nt and got the Raffaello.  After mapping a few items on our itinerary, I decided the Water Tower area would be most convenient, even though the price was more than I ideally wanted.  Looking forward to seeing the city!

Congrats on your success. :)

Very nice win for this property and glad you are looking forward to your stay. If you haven't been to Chicago, you'll quickly realize - especially in the Fall - how walkable it is. I'll walk from the top end of the NMA to the South end of the Loop without really thinking about it. Where this hotel is, it's also a pleasant walk to the bottom end of the Lincoln Park area (as well as Old Town.)

Please let me know if you have any city questions at all.

Can you confirm that the amenities were:

Boutique Hotel

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Self service laundry

Internet access

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

This information is available under the trip information in your HOTWIRE account (click "My Account" in the upper corner of HOTWIRE.

A few recommendations right nearby: tiny Hendrickx Bakery (http://hendrickxbakery.com/) is a definite, but there's also a Capital One Cafe at 21 E Chestnut. Capital One Cafe is the financial company's very reasonably priced alternative to Starbucks. There's also a beautiful Argo Tea across the street that was built in a city park.

Thank you for letting us know about the change in amenity set for this HOTWIRE property so that we can update the site's Hotwire Hotel List.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]