Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower) Millennium Knickerbocker

Jenn897
By Jenn897,
in

I am looking to find a hotel for 8/14-8/17 for 2 adults and 2kids in chicago in the magnificent mile/water tower area. I have never used Price.line or HOTWIRE before and have no clue how it works. I need a 4star or higher , close to water tower, etc for a weekend getaway with the family . How do I go about finding a nice hotel and a great rate?

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

What would be your desired budget per night and star rating? Additionally, the issue with PRICELINE is that it only guarantees one bed/double occupancy - you can call and request two beds,but the hotel may say no. With HOTWIRE, you can indicate the amount of people in the party, which should result in some form of bedding for the entire group. I'll also note the Air and Water Show is the 16th and 17th, although you can often see practice runs over the top end of the NMA area the day before.

Additionally, are you driving or flying in? 

Also, please let me know if you have any general city questions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

My desired budget would be cheap! Lol under 175.00/night and at least 4 stars. We would be driving in. I'm still trying to see how everyone narrows down what hotel hotwire is talking about. I probably will use hotwire because we do have 4 people and would need 2 beds and priceline doesn't give us that option.

My biggest suggestion downtown would be a 4* for $195 in the River North-NMA area w/:

• Free Breakfast
  • Free Internet
  • Pet friendly
  • Fitness Center
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Spa Services
  • Accessible path of travel
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Roll-in shower
Unfortunately, rates are expensive for these nights and this price is over your desired budget, but you do get the bonus of breakfast. Additionally, this is a possible match for the Kinzie, which is in a terrific location.

I'm also seeing what appears to be the Crowne Plaza Metro for $155. This would be the cheapest 4* downtown but it's on the far W border of the Loop zone on the other side of the expressway. From a tourist perspective, this property is not very convenient. Additionally, while there are certainly some restaurants nearby (including Girl and the Goat and a number of other popular options), the West portion of this zone on HOTWIRE is likely going to be quiet on nights and weekends. Overall, less than other 4* options, but you'll probably wind up using taxis or other public transit to get around from the hotel more/much more than other downtown options.

I'm also seeing the La Quinta Downtown for $147 (the prices you see may be slightly different.) While this is also in the West portion of the Loop zone, it's somewhat more central and more convenient than the potential Crowne Plaza. This area will still be quiet later in the evening and on nights/weekends. Not a 4*, but a well-reviewed 3* w/breakfast.

===

The other recommendation would be Northbrook, which is a great area in the North suburbs. The Chicago Botanic Garden (chicagobotanic.org) is nearby, as well as a few other sights (such as Homer's Ice Cream, Wagner Farm, Ravinia Music Festival) Some nice beaches not too far, as well. Lots of restaurants and shopping.

I'm seeing a 3.5* in the Northbrook zone for $52 w/

• Free Parking
  • Indoor pool(s)
  • Fitness Center
  • Pool(s)
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Golf Nearby
  • Tennis Nearby
  • Accessible for the blind
  • Accessible for the deaf
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Handicapped parking
  • Roll-in shower
This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but I'd guess it's likely a new amenity set for the Hyatt Deerfield. There are a number of nice properties in the area and you could likely get something for even less (mid-upper $40's) via bidding, although no guarantee of more than one bed.

You would then take the Metra train (which are nicer than the CTA trains, with two levels, bathrooms and conductors) downtown and back. The Metra trains are very comfortable and offer express trains during morning/evening rush on weekdays - the lines are also now offering one or two express trains on the weekends, which they never used to. From the Northbrook/Glenview area, you're probably looking at around 35-45 min  each way. 

Parking is going to be free at hotels in the suburbs - if you drive to the Metra station nearby, it's probably going to be around $1.50 to park. Parking downtown at lots is probably going to be around $30-40 + city tax or as much as $55-65+ at hotels.

Staying in the suburbs is quite a bit cheaper than staying in the city, but it is nice to walk out of the hotel and be downtown versus a bit of a trek in from the burbs.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and if you have any questions before booking. Let us know if the potential Crowne Plaza Metro or La Quinta would be of interest and we would be happy to point out those listings.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I found 2 options on Hotwire I was wondering if you can tell me what you would guess what hotels they were:

Dates are from 8/14-8/17 for 2 adults and 2 children

1. Mag mile water tower area hotel

- 4 star

Originally 260.00 their price is 171. 00 night

- 85% recommended

- pet friendly

- restaurant

- golf nearby

- boutique hotel

- business center

- smoke free rooms

- self service laundry

- fitness center

- Internet access

2 second one is:

Mag mile river north area hotel

- 4 star

- originally 289.00 their price is 183.00

- 95% recommended

- free breakfast

- free internet

- pet friendly

- business center

- fitness center

- spa services

- accessible path of travel

- in room accessibility

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to each of these listings, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I found 2 options on Hotwire I was wondering if you can tell me what you would guess what hotels they were:

Dates are from 8/14-8/17 for 2 adults and 2 children

1. Mag mile water tower area hotel

- 4 star

Originally 260.00 their price is 171. 00 night

- 85% recommended

- pet friendly

- restaurant

- golf nearby

- boutique hotel

- business center

- smoke free rooms

- self service laundry

- fitness center

- Internet access

2 second one is:

Mag mile river north area hotel

- 4 star

- originally 289.00 their price is 183.00

- 95% recommended

- free breakfast

- free internet

- pet friendly

- business center

- fitness center

- spa services

- accessible path of travel

- in room accessibility

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

I noted the second listing a few posts up as the potential Kinzie and it remains my biggest recommendation for these dates, especially with a party of four and free breakfast. The listing notes three rooms left for these dates when searching this morning.

I'm seeing a different 4* in the Mag Mile-WT area when searching this morning.

I'm seeing a 4* in the NMA-WT area for $166 (the price you see may vary slightly) w/:

• Boutique Hotel
  • Fitness Center
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • Self service laundry
  • Internet access
  • Accessible for the blind
  • Accessible for the deaf
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Roll-in shower
Which would potentially be the Knickerbocker. 

Please keep us updated with what you do decide on and if you have additional questions.

I ended up just going for the last one you saw which I saw for 163.00 which ended up being in my desired area of mag mile a 4star within our price and they had the dates available for 4 people. You were correct it is the Knickerbocker! I know nothing about the hotel but it looks like its in a great location and right near where we wanted to be. Thanks for all the help!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel guessed and that you're happy with the location of this property.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay and have fun with your family in Chicago.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]