Priceline Hotel: Boston booking help 9/18-9/20

raldogg22
By raldogg22,
in

I was hoping that someone could assist me in a bidding strategy for our trip to Boston between 9/18-9/20. We would like a 4* hotel, but a 3.5* or 3* would also be acceptable. We have never been to Boston, but after reading some of the forums, I think we would like to stay in either Boston Common - Theater District, Downtown Boston - Harbor Front or Copley Square - Back Bay. We would obviously like to get the best deal possible, but I think our limit per night would be $200 or less. The prices for these dates seem to be a little high. Do you think under $200 per night is a possibility. If not, should be expand our search area? I am not familiar with the area. Thanks so much for your help.

For a city its size Boston does not have a lot of hotel rooms and even small/moderate sized events can have a sharp impact on hotel rates.

For your dates above i think you have a good chance at a 3.5* hotel in one of the zones you've mentioned (and a small chance at a 4* hotel)... did you want to try for a 4* first up to your maximum bid, then if rejected try for a 3.5* OR is the goal the least expensive 3.5* (or 3*) hotel for this trip?

Let us know how you'd like to move forward and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much for your help. I think the goal is the least expensive 3* or 3.5* in the desired areas and possibly 4* if it won't be much more expensive. What do you think we would be looking at in the 3*, 3.5* and 4* range for these dates? Is there a conference or something that week that limiting availability? Thanks again for your help.

I'm seeing one convention for 9/16-9/18 with 4K attendees and another for 9/17-9/20 with 3800 attendees... combined these may not be the sole factors for the higher rates you're seeing, but they are likely certainly a contributing factor.

I think you're likely looking at the following rates:

4 star $215-$235

3.5 star $180-$200

3 star $180-$200

Let us know what you want to try for first and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you think that 3* and 3.5* are going to be about the same price, I guess I should start bidding on the 3.5* first, right? I'm seeing a 3.5* on both Priceline.Express Deals and Hot.wire for $205 per night but it looks like the hotel only gets a 70% approval rating. Would I be better served staying south or somewhere a little farther outside of the city and using public transportation or is it better to be downtown in Boston? Thanks again for all your help.

The hotel you receive when bidding on PRICELINE may or may not be the one that is currently offered on HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS, so i wouldn't use the 70% recommendation as any indication (but when bidding on PRICELINE you have to be willing to accept any hotel (or higher) in the zone(s) that you choose)

As far as whether to stay outside of the city for less, that really is a personal choice, but for me i'm more of a 'city person' and enjoy being able to walk outside of my door and have things to do/see/grab a snack within walking distance. As well, on a short two nite trip, you don't have that much time, so i'd rather spend my time exploring/relaxing than commuting and/or waiting for trains (and if you stay out late at nite, keep in mind the Boston metro system shuts down about 1am-2am, irrc). On the otherhand if you're looking to relax and spend more time at the hotel than outside of it, then staying outside of the city could work for your needs.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

When bidding 3.5* in Boston you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Boston Common...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Select 3.5* Copley...

Select 3.5* Boston Common and Downtown...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Bid $, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Boston Common and Copley...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Boston Common, Downtown, Copley...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 8 months later...

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]