Priceline Hotel: New York City 8/20-8/23

KBS4148
By KBS4148,
in

Hi,

I'm looking to stay in NYC for the first time checking in Wednesday, August 20 and checking out Saturday August 23rd. I'm looking for a fun part of the city (that is safe of course) and within walking distance to the subway as we plan on checking out a lot of tourist sites. I think I've narrowed this down to Midtown East, Times Square, or Downtown Financial District although I'm certainly open to advice from anyone who knows the area. My budget maxes out around $150 a night and I was looking for 3-3.5* or better if possible. Is this reasonable?  I would really appreciate any advice and a bidding strategy. 

Thank you!!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Would your budget be $150 "all-in" (with taxes/fees) or $150 + taxes/fees? I think you may be able to score a 3.5* in your desired budget range, but it would likely be towards the $150 top end. Additionally, there is no guarantee as to being right by the subway - when bidding, you have to be willing to stay anywhere within the shaded zone area. There are a couple of possibilities, for example, that are towards the far E border of MTE. That's still a very nice area and highly recommended, but when you bid, you may get a hotel that is a bit out of the way towards the E border of the zone (OneUN being the prime example.)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

Two comments:

1) unless a lot of your plans have you around the Downtown-Financial District i'd try to stay more in midtown as it will give you a more central point to start your day. Downtown is certainly do-able, but we usually recommend this zone if there is a specific reason to say here OR if the savings are substantial enough vs. staying in midtown.

2) while you could get a 3* or better hotel within your $150 budget, if you could raise your maximum bid another $10-$15/nite i think you could greatly improve the quality of the hotel you receive.

Let us know your thoughts regarding increasing your budget another $10/nite and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the suggestions! Midtown area sounds great. It's been a little confusing trying to pick a good location without knowing the city at all! I am ok with upping the budget another $10-$15. I understand that the taxes are going to be expensive so I'm really hoping to keep my total (taxes included at or below $600 for the three nights if at all possible). 

Thanks again for all of your help!

Midtown East 3.5* for $162/nith with following amenities on Priceline.Express:

Restaurant, Fitness, Business Center

8.0 Rating

Leads me to believe its Hotel Boutique at Grand Central

Total would be $594 with taxes included.

A week earlier I got 4* Intercontinental Barclay for $152/night on Priceline.Express.

There is also a 3.5* for $165/nt (611 total) in Midtown West with 7.0+ Rating

Looks to be Club Quarters Rockefeller Center

Not sure which is closer to the tourist stuff. I'm assuming Hotel Boutique by looking on Google Maps.

Either way, make sure you use PRICELINE links in the forum..

HOTWIRE has what looks to be the Yotel Times Square for $163/nite... this hotel gets excellent reviews (4.5/5.0 TA rating) and is about 2 Avenues (~4 blocks... 'avenues' (streets running North/South) in NYC are typically twice as long as 'blocks' (streets running East/West)) to the subway. This is $163/nite and comes to $611 all-in.

PRICELINE EXPRESS (in addition to those mentioned above by joninvb) has a 3.5* in the MSG zone for $160/nite $586 all-in) with Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center... these amenities are very common for a NYC, but the Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Times Square West has previously been reported with this amenity set so that would be my best guess for this one (and if correct, would be a very good location... as are most hotels in this zone)

Let us know your thoughts between these, and those listed above, and we'll research/confirm your top choice and take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think the Hotel Boutique...

The 3.5* MTE PRICELINE EXPRESS property with Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center would be my guess for this one. (~$162)

...or Courtyard by Marriott

I'm guessing the Courtyard is the 3.5* MSG zone with Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center (~$160)

As you can see both have the same amenities, and these amenities are common at most 3.5* hotels in NYC, but the above would be my best guess for each.

Let us know which you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]