Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Hotel Felix Chicago

gambit_a
By gambit_a,
in

Hi there,

Trying to book a 3.5 star or above hotel in chicago in the North Michigan Ave area.  Have failed a few times going up to $131 USD.  Would be ok to be in the Millenium Park area also.

Do you have any bidding strategies for a successful bid under $150?

Thanks!

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Priceline New York City thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread, then reply to this thread and we would be happy to look into the above stay.)

For the above Chicago stay, what have you bid in terms of max star rating and which zone (MP-Loop-GP, River North-NMA or both)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

No worries.

So thus far I have only bid in the North NMA zone going as low as 3.5 star (and above).  I have  used the standard bidding strategies of adding in zones like Franklin and Hyde park where they do not have 3.5 star hotels.

So far no dice. Have been monitoring both Priceline.Express and Hot.wire deals for some guidance, but looks like prices are above my range at this point.

Thanks Aaron

So thus far I have only bid in the North NMA zone going as low as 3.5 star (and above).

What has been your maximum bid thus far?

Is this a trip that you'll need to take regardless of price OR is this a leisure trip that you will cancel if not available within your current budget?

So far no dice. Have been monitoring both PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE deals for some guidance...

You can sign up with our new service RateDrop (it's free) which will automate the monitoring process for you. ;)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases (and please click each of these previous links before replying)

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I believe a Jay-Z concert at Soldier Field may be causing high rates on the weekend dates and I'll note that the Sunday night - when looked at separately - is vastly cheaper.

I think $150 may be a little difficult in River North-NMA area for these dates at the 4* level, but likely not that far off. I'm seeing what may be the 4* Kinzie Hotel for $173 on HOTWIRE - that is over your desired budget, but does offer free breakfast (it is showing only 1 room left this morning). I think a 4* bid could likely be successful at or slightly under $150 in the Millennium Park-Loop-GP area, but a 4* win in the River North-NMA area will likely take slightly-to-moderately ($155-170)  over $150. However, I would try lower levels first and work up to your $150 desired max.

If you look at the Sunday night separately, I think you could easily get something at the 4* level mildly under $100, but then the separate first couple of nights are going to be more expensive. Would you be okay with potentially splitting your stay between two hotels? There are a lot of potential combos with that option, but one I'm seeing is the potential Burnham for $173 for the first couple, then there is an additional 4* in the same zone for $100 for the first night with a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating, which leads to a $148 average and two very high-rated hotels.  You could also bid. Splitting the stay is understandably not optimal.

Let us know if you have any questions before booking/bidding.

Possible Kinzie for all 3 nights is showing as a 4* in the Mag Mile-RN area w/

• Free Breakfast
  • Free Internet
  • Pet friendly
  • Fitness Center
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Spa Services
  • Accessible path of travel
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Roll-in shower
Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

no issues at all splitting the 3 nights into 2 separate bookings.

if thats the case, not entirely clear on your burnam + other hotel option.  can you specify that one?  i'm fine with 145 average per night.  very reasonable

thanks Aaron.  Didn't think about splitting it, but definitley open to it

have you heard of any winning bids in and around those dates?

You can check the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins (yeah, we have a lot of tools! :) )

...do you recommend a bidding strategy for some additional savings?  or the HOTWIRE/PRICELINE EXPRESS deal combo when splitting the two nights?

What is most important to you for this stay... the lowest priced hotel at the star rating you designate OR having a guess/targeting/knowing the amenities of the hotel you will receive?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately, the first two nights are more expensive this afternoon then they were this morning. What appears to be the Burnham is now $200.  I'm seeing a 4.5* in the Millennium Park-Downtown-Grant Park zone on HOTWIRE for $158 for all three nights this afternoon for $158 ($183 for the first two separately)  w/:

• Indoor pool(s)
  • Smoke Free Rooms
  • Fitness Center
  • Pool(s)
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Tennis Nearby
This hasn't been reported to the board yet but my guess is that the Swissotel may have been upgraded. If it is the Swiss, awesome location.

For the last night, there's a 4* in the same zone for $102 w/:

• Pet friendly
  • Smoke Free Rooms
  • Fitness Center
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Accessible for the blind
  • Accessible for the deaf
  • Accessible path of travel
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Handicapped parking
  • Roll-in shower
This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but is showing a very high 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating on the detail page for the listing.

Given the $158 4.5*, you could try starting lower and bidding up to $135-150 in the Millennium Park-Loop-GP area on PRICELINE.

These dates do look busy and I'd try to lock something in.

one other follow up - do you recommend a bidding strategy for some additional savings?  or the HOTWIRE/PRICELINE EXPRESS deal combo when splitting the two nights?

It really becomes a matter of what is more appealing to you.

PL EXPRESS /HOTWIRE - somewhat more expensive than bidding, but you can try to make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing and potentially get something that is more appealing to you.

PRICELINE bidding - cheaper, but you may get any of the hotels at the star rating chosen in the zone/s chosen. There are a couple of "lesser" 4*'s in the River North-NMA area, but that area does have more going on at night if you are going to be out late.

Very helpful Aaron.  Thanks!

I actually booked the last night Sunday 27th on Priceline yesterday.  Bid $92 USD and got it.  Got the Felix Hotel.  which is what looks to be one of the "lesser 4's" you talked about. ah well.  great location - reviews are not the best...but great price in a good spot.

looking for the first 2 nights now..

what do you think as options on these 3 locations in the millenium park loop?  which would you prefer?

Priceline express.  175/night; 4 Star; 8.0/10.0 rating

Hotwire: 181/night; 4.5 star; 90 pct recommended

Hotwire: 174/night; 4 star; 90 pct recommended

One other consideration is that the taxes and fees on Hotwire seem much higher than Priceline.  So the priceline deal is the best value.  but don't want to end up at another "lesser 4".

Thanks!

Congrats on your success. :)

This property does get some mixed reviews, but I think it's actually a really great location both near the River North area (which has some terrific restaurants) and the Michigan Ave area. There's also a great Whole Foods a couple of blocks East where you can pick up snacks/drinks to take back to the hotel.

We'll use this thread for the Felix stay, please start a new thread for the additional nights.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]