Getting counter offers, but when try to accept, the are rejected

evebobo
By evebobo,
in

Hello, All, 

I have run into something that I am wondering if others have seen and how I might react to it. I have been submitting bids to fly from Denver to Paris. They bids are not accepted, but a counter offer is offered by Priceline. When I try to accept the counter offer, it "negotiates" again and then says that no one would accept that offer. It is frustrating,  because it is higher than my initial bid but still competitive compared to actual current ticket prices to fly to Paris for the dates we want (June to July). 

I am bidding for three tickets - 1 adult and two kids (under 12, not infants). 

Does anyone know why this occurs and what I might do to counter act it? I feel like I am just going in circles and it is just not going to work to get these tickets through Priceline this time and am frustrated. 

Thanks, 

Eve in Denver

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I can only speculate, but two possible scenarios:

1) as rates don't typically change minute-by-minute PRICELINE downloads rates in mass every few hours (this makes searches quicker as well as helps keep costs down) and actual 'live' inventory isn't checked until you attempt to make a purchase. Now that you're attempting to purchase, the rate is no longer avaialble.

2) PRICELINE may be checking available rates but not the number of tickets (again, available inventory for all your tickets is not checked until you attempt a purchase)... and as only one or two tickets may be available at this rate, the purchase is failing when you attempt three tickets

What are your dates of travel?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks. That makes sense. I figured it was something like that, but didn't have specific ideas like that. We are trying to leave Denver June 27, but I also tried June 25 and 26 on Priceline. We would like to return July 31, but I also tried August 1 and July 30 on Priceline. 

I will try again, but it does make me think that it is probably not going to work in our case due to the number of tickets. 

Thanks again for your ideas. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, this is happening to me too. I have tried to accept counteroffers over and over again and always get the same response.  I tried waiting a couple days, the same price and date adjustments consistently come up in the counteroffers, I immediately accept and put in my initials and then it says my offer was rejected. I'm trying to get 2 tickets from lax to thailand. i've written multiple emails to priceline but the response never addresses the problem i'm having. has anyone else found a way around this? if i could actually accept the counteroffer it would save me a few hundred dollars. thanks!

Jscherba,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

You don't say if you're bidding for more than one ticket, but my guess is that the issue is one of the two scenarios i posted above... it's unfortunately a rate that is likely no longer available.

If you've been researching rates for awhile, did 'regular' tickets recently go up in price?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]