Priceline Hotel: NYC advice

Oscar7
By Oscar7,
in

Going to New York for the first time with a mate, both late 20's, doing usual stuff - sightseeing, bars, restaurants etc.

Not fussy where we stay as long as 2 beds and a bathroom, open for suggestions on areas as we don't mind walking/subway.

Dates are may 8 to may 15.

Is it better to break it up to 2 stays of 4 and 3 days to get the Thurs - Sunday nights in one group and the cheaper Monday - Wed nights together?

Is $150/night doable?

Thanks.

The issue with NYC is that rooms are - even at higher star ratings - often small (as small as 130-160 sq ft) and rooms with more than one bed are almost always a paid upgrade. With bidding, there is no guarantee the hotel will allow you to upgrade, even if there are available rooms. So, if you bid there is definitely a high risk in NYC that you end up with one bed.

Rates are expensive, but I'm really kind of surprised that they aren't higher, given how NYC usually is in the Spring. I think $150 (or slightly higher) may be doable, but $150 + taxes/fees. I think $150 "all-in" (with taxes/fees) is going to be difficult/unlikely. Did you have a minimum star rating in mind?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Is hotwire better for getting 2 beds? Only just used priceline for the first time last night, so new to it, but have read many posts.

I was thinking the $150 wasn't including taxes and taxes for 7 nights run about $250.

Happy with any star rating, have no problem with going 2 star if it's a better area to be in as I imagine we'll leave early and have breakfast on the run and be out late, hence why I'm not too keen to spend and get a nice hotel I won't be in.

Worth splitting up the booking rather than a 7 night stay or won't matter?

Thanks.

You can 'force' the 2bed issue by using HOTWIRE and searching for 2adults/2children... this doesn't assign you a room type, but since HOTWIRE guarantees that the room will accommodate everyone you include in your search, this ensures separate sleep accommodations since no one bed will accommodation 4 people. This usually means two beds in the room, but the second 'bed' could be a pullout sofabed or a rollaway brought into the room, as well, increasing your search to more than the default double occupancy will sometimes increase the price (especially in NYC) but sometimes not... and sometimes using children as the additional guests doesn't increase the price whereas using adults may, which is why i suggested searching 2adults/2children (rather than 4adults)

If you start by searching HOTWIRE for 2adults/2children does anything appear within your desired star rating and budget... or do you prefer to take the one bed risk and bid on PRICELINE for hopes of a lower price?

If bidding, what star level, zones, and maximum bid did you want to start with? (or do you need help with zone selection for the city?)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, I'm happy to try the HOTWIRE option first and see what prices I get back.

Not sure on zones - never been to nyc and happy to take your advice on it. Don't need to be in any certain areas, just somewhere convenient to check stuff out or transport I guess.

We'll go with $160 + tax a night and whatever star I have to go down to. If there's a chance of snagging a 3 star with that then great otherwise can go to a 2.

Oops, sorry. There's 2.5 in Madison Square for 190 and 1 star in times square for 170 but was hoping for lower.

The Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins shows a lot of $130-140 wins for 3.5 star madison square for the dates I'm looking at. Is it a reasonable thought to use this as a rough guide and aim for similar/a bit higher? Also a 4 star in times square - westin reported for $122 in middle of my dates.

The Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins shows a lot of $130-140 wins for 3.5 star madison square for the dates I'm looking at. Is it a reasonable thought to use this as a rough guide and aim for similar/a bit higher?

The more recent the previous wins were made the more relevant they are to your own stay. However:

1) the wins also lose relevancy if they are not for your complete stay as per this example assuming the following 'right' bid amount for each nite (numbers are fictitious and just for example purposes):

5/8 $130

5/9 $130

5/10 $130

5/11 $130

5/12 $130

5/13 $160

5/14 $170

5/15 $130

--> using this example, another user coudl have one 5/8-5/12 for $130/nite but for your dates that would not be enough due to the higher rates for the last 3 nites of your stay. Even just ONE nite of higher rates can cause a rejection for an otherwise acceptable bid. This is where SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID could be helpful.

2) if you're searching HOTWIRE for 2adults/2children all bets are off in using the previous wins as a guide since in NYC rooms for more than double occupancy usually come at a premium

Since it appears that searching for 2a/2c shows rates much higher then what others have won (for earlier purchases)... do you find rates substantially lower when searching HOTWIRE for only 2 adults? If so, is the lower price worth the risk of only one bed?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, that makes sense. Checked and seems that most places are about $50 more a night with the 2 adult 2 kid option compared to just 2 adults, and one 2.5 star one in Hell's Kitchen is $15 more.

Found Hotel Carter on Expe.dia for $1235 for the 7 nights. It seems like it's very very basic, but the guarantee of 2 beds and private bathroom and in a good location seems like it could be a good deal for me. I'm also worried about bidding and ending up with a roll away or trundle bed for one of us for a full week.

In your opinion does Hotel Carter at that price seem like the reasonable option to go with for my situation?

The Carter's reviews have improved somewhat, but they still not very good and the overall average remains low.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93421-Reviews-Hotel_Carter-New_York_City_New_York.html

For a while (I think it was 3 or 4 years running?), it was considered by Tripadvisor to be the worst hotel in the US (http://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-i167-c1-Press_Releases.html, http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/01/26/this_is_what_new_york_citys_dirtiest_hotel_looks_like_inside.php)

Apparently the hotel is being worked on (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/02/nyregion/a-cleaned-up-hotel-in-a-cleaned-up-times-square.html?_r=0), but I'd still really recommend trying to find something else before considering this property.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

In NYC you generally want to stick with at least the mid-tier and higher hotels... while you could find a diamond on the rough that works well for your needs, you could also end up someplace where you loath returning to your hotel each nite and wish you spent a little more. Too many of the lower rated hotels fall into the latter category.

Keep us updated on your progress and how we can be of further help along the way.

Thanks for your help. Think bidding is going to be too risky for my situation with NYC so will move onto my next city and just book Hotel Pennsylvania which has a 25% off deal on their site right now and is convenient to where I want to be.

I've seen in the past you've added your bagel tips etc so feel free to chuck any onto this thread.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it.

Think bidding is going to be too risky for my situation with NYC so will move onto my next city and just book Hotel Pennsylvania...

What would be more risky than booking the Hotel Pennsylvania (this would be the type of hotel i'd be concerned with getting)... the reviews for this property are really bad.

What is the room rate per nite?

Close to the Hotel Pennsylvania is my new bagel spot:

Best Bagel and Coffee

225 W 35th St (between 7th Ave and 8th Ave)

New York, NY 10001

The one downside is that seating is limited, so if you can't grab a seat at the counter (or one of the few tables) a suggestion is to walk to Times Square and if you can grab a table in the street promenade that has been set up eat there, OR sit on the bleachers behind the TKTS Booth and take in the scene as you relax, eat breakfast/lunch, and watch the world go by.

If there is something specific that you're looking for in the city let me know and i'll offer up some suggestions.

Any favorite spots near 8th Ave and 43rd street for a bagel?

I would walk to the location above.

Whats better for ribs , Virgil's or Dallas?

I haven't been to either (recently turned on to some great BBQ in the South so not my type of food until very recently, and haven't yet ventured for BBQ in the city), but i've always considered to be Virgil's be a bit more 'higher end' and Dallas BBQ to be a bit more 'low end' (if that means anything).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]