Priceline Hotel: Help/Support Hotel SFO 08/07/14-08/10/14

thebetterbidder
By thebetterbidder,
in

Hello to everyone,

I am new in this area and this is my first message.

I am planning a trip to San Francisco this summer Holidays and am looking for a Hotel in August (3 nights) in San Francisco from 08/07/14 to 08/10/14.

Looking for the areas of Price.line I would prefer following ones (from most desired to less desired):

- Fisherman's Wharf

- Union Square East

- Financial District

I am willing to pay 135$ incl. taxes and fees for each night. (at the moment - if there is no chance I can evaluate raising the value)

Of course I would like to get a 5* Hotel, but I think this is not realistic so I would accept 3* and 4*.

I would be very thankfully if anyone can give me some advice or strategy considering that I am a beginner in this topic.

I know it is very early, do you think I can get better prices if I try on a closer date to my stay? Can you recommend using priceline 4 months ahead?

Thank you very much for your support.

Of course I will use the betterbidding PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

A few questions/comments in order for us to get started...

At current rates I think you're going to need to be closer to the $115-$135 bid price (not all-in) to be successful fora 3* or better in one of these zones.

While it may be a moot point given your budget is currently likely on the very low end of the expect winning bid range, are you willing to pay more for a hotel in your first choice of zone vs. your second choice vs. your third choice... OR is the goal the least expensive hotel in any of your acceptable zones?

Likewise, are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3.5* vs. a 3* OR is the goal the least expensive 3* or better in any of your acceptable zones?

Let us know the above, as well as if you're willing/able to increase your budget at this point in time (and to avoid any confusion please let us know your maximum bid price before fees/taxes), and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much for your fast answer!

There is a change on my prefered areas - these are the new ones from most to less desired (any opinions appreciated!):

- Marina - Lombard Street

- Fisherman's Wharf

- Union Square East

My goal is to get the best possible hotel (not less then 3*) in any of the first 2 areas.

My maximum bid price before taxes/fees is 125$ considering that I will use the code for the 7% discount that expires today - otherwise 115$

If nothing works I am willing to add the third zone.

Does this info help?

Do you believe I should try now or wait to a closer date to August?

Thank you again!

I will use the PRICE.LINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin my travel purchases!

Currently there are no 3.5* hotels offered in the Marina-Lombard St zone.

When bidding 3.5* in San Francisco you have FIVE re-bid zones... at the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Fishermans Wharf...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* USE...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Fishermans Wharf and USE...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

If the above is rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Marina...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Fishermans Wharf...

Select 3* USE...

Select 3* Marina and Fishermans Wharf...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Marina and USE...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Marina, Fishermans Wharf, USE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Have you worked with Maps.Hotels yet?  Amazing product.  It is in the Tool Box up above.  All you have to do is select a radius (I initially used just 1 mile), put in San Francisco and your dates, and click Search.  It will come back with the retail (PRICELINE.com and Hotels.com) rates of hotels in that area on your dates.

You can sort it various ways.  One I like is via rate, from high to low (I think the first one offered is low to high, but if you just click that column heading again it will switch to high to low).  Then you can just delete higher star levels until you start seeing numbers within your budget.  

If you don't like what you see, you can then go back and use a larger radius and see if anything further out fits your budget. Sometimes than can work.  San Francisco has good public transport.  One has to weigh the value of just being in the midst of things vs the wasted time of moving one's body to/from an outer area.  

You can also use that slider bar to rule out the high $$ ones.

Doesn't look like I'll be going to San Francisco then.  Definitely not within my budget.

But I hope you see something that works for you.

You could make a cancelable back-up (reading the cancellation rules VERY carefully), and then keep bidding up until the last.  You really do have quite a bit of time.

Romelle

Took some digging but looks like there is a big music festival taking place from Aug 9-11 (with some BIG names) and i'm sure this is the reason for the very high rates you're seeing for these dates (there is also a big conference which starts on the Aug 10 which isn't helping matters either)

PRICELINE EXPRESS currently has a 2* in the Marina-Lombard zone for $138/nite (Free Breakfast, Free Internet in room, Free Parking) and this looks to be closest to your current budget... otherwise at current rates i think you're looking at near $200/nite for a 3* or better hotel for these dates.

Do to the music festival I wouldn't exactly expect any major rate drops for these dates, but you could sign up for alerts at our new sister site RateDrop so that if any hotels do come down in price, even if only temporarily, you'll be alerted to the lower price right away.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how we can be of further help along the way.

Hello again,

first of all I would like to thank everybody for the help and good ideas / proposals.

Since I did not have luck to find an hotel on my budget on these days (probably because of all these festivals or events going on) I had to book a private appartment, this solution gave me the chance to get a low budget place to stay on the area I wanted (unfortunately not a hotel).

Next time I will keep trying with PRICE.LINE and see if am am more lucky.

Please close this thread.

Best regards and have a great day!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]