Hotwire Hotel: London (end of May - early Jun 14) five nights

boskob
By boskob,
in

Hello

I am new to this forum but not to priceline and hotwire.

I have a two week trip planed for Europe (End of May early June -London-Paris-Amsterdam)

I am trying to book a hotel in London and I have a couple of questions.

1. What is a suggested * (star) level for London? Not looking for anyting fancy? Just clean hotel in a good safe neighborhood.I am seeing some 3* hotels on Hotwire with 85% approval in Westminster.

2. I am connsidering these neighboorhods based on review (Bloomsbury,Chelsea - Knightsbridge, Kensington - Earl's Court, Mayfair - Soho, Notting Hill - Bayswater, Regents Park - North London,Westminster )

Let me know if these neighboorhoods are good? Have in mind I am traveling with my wife and a 15 month old baby.

3. Is it too early to start looking at for hotels on hotwire and priceline? (two months away)

Looking to spend around $100 (plus tax and fees)

Thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages.

Then reply to this thread with the actual dates of the London leg of this trip and we'll start from there.

Keep in mind that star ratings in Europe are a bit more generous then their US counterparts, so a 3* hotel in London is more similar to a 2*/2.5* in the States, so if you're looking for something nicer then that you would want to increase the star rating accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My London dates are May 28th through June 3rd

What should I expect to pay for 5 nights in London?

These are the areas I am would include in my bidding:

Bloomsbury,Chelsea - Knightsbridge, Kensington - Earl's Court, Mayfair - Soho, Notting Hill - Bayswater, Regents Park - North London,Westminster

Is it too early to start bidding for this since it is 2 months away?

Thanks

Please start by reading your messages.

2x

What should I expect to pay for 5 nights in London?

Based upon my comments above, do you still think a (European) 3* property is sufficient for your needs?

I would suggest starting with the Priceline Hotel List and Hotwire Hotel List and look at the zones you're willing to accept to see which hotels have previously been reported to the board at each star level; from there you can get a feel for what type of quality you can expect from each star level from each service and determine if 3* is the right star rating for your needs this trip.

Also, although you child is only 15 months, keep in mind that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it is at the discretion of the hotel and you could receive a room with only one bed and little/no room for a Pak N Play or other type of bedding for your child. While this may not be much of an issue at most hotels in the US, this could be an issue overseas where rooms (and bed size) are often a bit smaller than their US counterparts. HOTWIRE may be an option, while still searching for only 2adults, since they ask for children between ages 2-17. So if you purchase from HOTWIRE for only 2adults and then call the hotel to find out what type of arrangements are available for your child and there is an issue, you should be able to get some support from HOTWIRE since you searched within their terms (adults and children aged 2+ years old)... whereas a similar situation with PRICELINE you could be on your own to work something out with the hotel since their terms are for double occupancy and you will actually be triple occupancy.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Looking to ID 3* hotel in Westminster - Victoria - Big Ben area

May 28 - June 3

$125

85% Recomended (hotwire)

Trip Adviser 3.5 / 5

Amenities

Free Internet

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Self service laundry

Accessibility

Accessible path of travel

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Thanks

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Are your dates not yet confirmed or are you flexible in your arrival date?

Your original post indicated a maximum budget per nite of $100... are you now willing to pay up to $125/nite as per the hotels inquired above OR will you first try bidding on PRICELINE for a lower priced hotel?

My dates are fixed?

May 29 through June 03

I would like my budget to be around 100 per night (plus tax and fees), but I am not sure if that is realistic?

As I said earlier I am looking at many differenta areas (listed below) and not sure what I could expect to pay for a 4* star hotel for 5 nights.
Bloomsbury,Chelsea - Knightsbridge, Kensington - Earl's Court, Mayfair - Soho, Notting Hill - Bayswater, Regents Park - North London,Westminster

any suggestions or tips are more than welcome.

Thanks

I would like my budget to be around 100 per night (plus tax and fees), but I am not sure if that is realistic?

If you check Hot.wire and Priceline.Express for your dates and areas (and 1 child in the case of Hotwire), you can get a good general idea of what is realistic.  Via Price.line bidding one typically can do a little bit better, but that won't address the issue of space for your child.  

I can see a  4* Notting hill-Bayswater $135 on HW when I use just 2 adults.  When I add in one child it goes to $196.  On PE there is a 4* Westminster for $144 (2 adults of course), but this can be a improved with the use of the 5% discount noted in thereuare's signature.

So - $100 is probably not realistic for a 4*, although  close. 

Romelle

My dates are fixed?

May 29 through June 03

Above you have check-in dates of both 5/28 as well as 5/29... is 5/28 a typo?

So the PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE hotels are not options at the moment and you want to begin by bidding on PRICELINE for a 4* hotel in your acceptable zones up to $100?

Please confirm your check-in of May 29, and that you're OK with PRICELINE only guaranteeing double occupancy, and we'll advise accordingly.

Assuming you are OK with the occupancy issue and the goal is the least expensive 4* or better in any of your acceptable zones, you can try bidding as follows:

Select 4* Bloomsbury and Regents Park...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Kensington and Chelsea...

Select 4* Notting Hill and Mayfair...

Select 4* Westminster and Kensington...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Mayfair, Notting Hill, Regents Park...

Select 4* Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea...

Select 4* Mayfair, Chelsea, Kensington...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Notting Hill, Regents Park...

Select 4* Westminster, Chelsea, Kensington...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Regents Park...

Bid $78, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Kensington, Mayfair, Notting Hill...

Select 4* Westminster, Kensington, Mayfair...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Mayfair...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Notting Hill, Regents Park, Westminster...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Notting Hill, Kensington, Mayfair...

Bid $83, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Regents Park, Westminster...

Bid $83, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Notting Hill, Regents Park, Mayfair...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Westminster...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Mayfair, Notting Hill...

Bid $88, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Mayfair, Regents Park...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Mayfair, Westminster...

Select 4* Notting Hill, Regents Park, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Notting Hill, Regents Park, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Mayfair...

Select 4* Notting Hill, Regents Park, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Westminster...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Mayfair, Notting Hill, Regents Park...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Mayfair, Notting Hill, Westminster...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Regents Park, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Mayfair...

Bid $98, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Regents Park, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Notting Hill...

Bid $98, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Kensington, Mayfair, Notting Hill, Regents Park, Westminster...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your advice.

One more question about an infant. What do pepole generally do when they have an infant (less than 2 year olds)?

I would be totally find if he was sleeping with us in the bed but not sure what the hotel would say. Also we can bring a playpan for him to sleep in.

Did anybody ever experiance an issue where a hotel would turn them away?

The risk of booking double occupancy and having children as the 3rd/4th guest goes up with the children's age; that being many front desk clerks/hotels will not care when the child is an infant, more will care as the children reach double digits, and even more will care when 'junior' is 17 years old. However, with smaller beds/rooms common in Europe, the risk increases relative to the same scenario in the US.

As per my post above, if you do encounter an issue, having booked with PRICELINE the hotel would clearly be in the 'right', whereas if you have an issue and booked with HOTWIRE (even if only for double occupancy), you would have a good case since you did search as per their terms (of only including children age 2 years and above in the search)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

I also wondered why you didn't include that area.  On Maps.hotels you can see it only has 3 to 5* hotels (always a good sign it is not a scary neighborhood).  Very close to all sorts of transportation.  And St. Paul's Cathedral may well be on your list of sights to see.  

Romelle

The only reason I did not pick "City of London - Towerbridge - St. Pauls Cathedral area" was that not a lot of people were talking about it.

It seem to be ok area are now that I am reading more about it? It might be harder to get from Heathrow using tube but not imposible.

They seem to have a good deal on hotwire for a 4* hotel

Can somebone ID this hotel

May 29 - June 3

$131
per night

Amenities

Free Internet
    Smoke Free Rooms
    Self service laundry
    Kitchenette

Accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Hotwire customer reviews
 85% recommended (33 total reviews)

I missed my chance with City of London 4* hotel for $131

I started bidding again on priceline

so far all my bids have be rejected I am up to $135 for a 4* for all the mentioned areas

I am thinking at this point I might be better of with 3* hotel that is highly rated or recommended.

need help with this hotel

Trying to ID 3* PRICELINE EXPRESS hotel in London Kensington - Earl's Court Area for $124/night for 5/29-6/3
The only option is detail they provide is to chose bed

$124
per night  Standard - 1 Bed Requested.
$124
per night  Standard - 2 Beds Requested.

Rated 7.0 out of 10 (or higher)

bt usw

With no amenities showing, and so many hotels in the area, i don't have any insight into this one.

However, if you were willing to pay $135/nite above, why not the PRICELINE EXPRESS 4* in the Wesminster zone for $144/nite. The discount link and code in my signature takes an extra 5% OFF bringing this right inline with the price of the previous HOTWIRE property. While this property is only showing 'Free Internet Available' and don't have any insight into this one either, this does have a more impressive 8.0/10.0 user review rating and is a full star rating higher than the property above.

There is also a 4* in the Westminster zone on HOTWIRE right now for $142/nite, 95% recommended by previous guests, and a 4.0/5.0 TA rating with:

Free Internet

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Room Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

... my best guess for this one would be the Park Plaza Riverbank London (possibly the PRICELINE EXPRESS property above??)

Either of the above work for your needs?

• 2 years later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]