Debit card at check-in

Indian.Traveller
By Indian.Traveller,
in

Hi. I know this question must've been asked umpteen times, but all the previous threads that I saw are quite old and I just wanted to confirm the way things stand as of today. I am from India and I need to make some bookings on Hotwire for hotels in several places in Europe for an upcoming holiday trip. I have a debit card (with the VISA logo) but not a credit card. From what I understand, while it is possible to make the bookings on Hotwire using a debit card, there is some ambiguity about whether hotels accept it for the deposit at the time of check-in. The Hotwire website states that 'Some hotels may not accept debit cards as a deposit for incidental charges such as room service and parking'. This is a complicated scenario - what if I make a (non-refundable) booking at Hotwire and later the hotel refuses to accept the debit card? Since the name of the hotel is revealed after you book, there isn't even a way I can cross-check with the hotels first. Please advise if someone has had similar experiences, and how to go about it.

Most hotels will take a cash deposit as well... but the amount of the deposit can be very high.

Also, keep in mind that when a debit card is accepted, there is a hold placed on a certain amount of your funds, this 'hold' can take a few days to be released at which point you will not have access to those funds... the amount on hold can get to be substantial if you are checking-in/out of multiple hotels in a short period of time.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the reply. I do realize the 'hold' policy, so I'll just ensure that there are sufficient funds in the account. But essentially, my worry is whether they'll accept the debit card or not. I'll also carry a pre-paid card (where a certain amount is pre-loaded on to the card and it works essentially like a debit card). Is reaching the hotel with a debit card taking a chance or is it generally acceptable at hotels?

In the US the vast majority of hotels will accept a debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo... but i can't confirm if it is the same in Europe and elsewhere.

Also, speaking from a US perspective, i have seen situations where the guest doesn't carry either a credit card or debit card (or doesn't have enough funds to cover multiple days of a 'hold')... the guest was able to work out beforehand to have a friend/family member use their own card as the 'security' for the room (it involved faxing some forms back and forth, but it was able to be done)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Over the years we have seen most of the 'special circumstances' :)

For help with, or to report a win for, your upcoming stay(s) please post the details (dates, budget, star rating, etc) in the Priceline Non-US section of the board and we will assist you there.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]