Concept with Bid On Price or Express

Adam Hef
By Adam Hef,
in

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the boards and mostly to travel bidding. We have been trying some of the bid your own prices on Priceline on several recent trips but have not actually won any of them yet. However recently we did win a bid but now we are trying to find out the benefits of doing so if you have a suggested price you want to bid on.

We recently bidded on a 4 star hotel in the Historic district of Savannah, GA. My wife and I have stayed here before without using any type bidding but going straight through with 3rd parties like Expedia. The way we thought the bidding worked with the name your own bid is if set a price we wanted a hotel at, that we would get the hotel and the trip at that price. Since you do not have the luxury of seeing what hotel you will be getting, we thought are bid would equal the stay and resort fees. Now we knew that there would be an added tax afterwards and a priceline fee we assumed for the price. But the resort fee, without knowing we though was in our bid price.

So anyway, our story was we bidded on a 4 star for $120, actually won, and taxes and fee made the room $145 a night. However upon checking out, noticed we were also billed and extra 30$ for resort fees because the place we stayed at had so many amenities. So in reality the room cost $175 total for the night. While we did save a 10-15$ total if we were to book through a normal way, I think we would have been fine with finding another place that was more near our price range (which we did find for next trip.

So how do you find the true deals I see most people posting about if you do not know the particular hotels fees and added expenses (maybe pet fees)? I think we are going about it wrong but I can't understand the concept with the bid price we suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]