Priceline Hotel: Chicago-Area Visit

cynthreab
By cynthreab,
in

Hi AaronJB,

I hear you about everything, thank you for your precious insight. I won't have a car unfortunately and need to be in Evanston.

I'm also under the impression that the only 3&1/2* property on PRICELINE is the Doubletree as the Orrington falls under the 3*, is that correct?

It totally would blow if I endend up @ that Holiday Inn in Skokie for 3*, I've been there, it's pretty pathetic and definitely not a 3*!

This was way back in February, so I'm wondering if you booked - and, if so, what hotel you ended up at.

AaronJB, We would like to go to Wilmette to see the Baha'i Temple at least one day of our "planned" 09/06 to 09/11 stay. We haven't decided yet if we'd need to rent a car or whether we can use public transportation (preferred, but only if not a huge time constraint). But we don't know whether it would make more sense to stay in Evanston area or Northbrook area as opposed to Chicago proper money-wise. (Cheaper to stay in 'burbs and go into Chicago or cheaper to stay in Chicago and go to Wilmette the one day.) We will be two couples. We'd like to stay under $100/night if possible.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Good afternoon. :)

I often do recommend the North suburbs because they offer some sights (such as the Botanic Garden, Ravinia and the Baha'i Temple, among other things) as well as a wide variety of restaurants and shopping. However, I primarily recommend them if driving, as while there's a lot to see it's rather tough to get around (from hotel to train, etc) on foot/public transit. The Metra trains from the suburbs are easily accessible from hotels by car and offer a comfortable ride into the city. Based on rates I'm seeing, downtown looks pretty costly on these dates. What other things are you planning/would be interested in? I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I had posted a reply to see where an individual "landed" so to speak and asked about my own upcoming trip and, after reading other posts, realized that I should be starting a new post, instead.

We are meeting another couple in the Chicago area either 09/04 to 09/09 or sometime around 09/06 to 09/11. We specifically want to see the Baha'i Temple in Wilmette at least one of the days we're in the area. I had asked if it was better / easier to be in Chicago and go to Wilmette or be somewhere in Evanstan or Northbrook areas and go to Chicago (especially if we're considering using public transportation rather than renting a car), but saw that the Chicago hotels are quite a bit more expensive. (Of course, that may be offset if, to stay in the 'burbs, we have to rent a car.) So we're looking for suggestions about what would be a better strategy, especially considering that we'd probably be most comfortable at a 3 star or above (unless there's some decent 2.5 stars).

What I saw when I used your site to check the services:

PRICELINE

• Skokie - Niles - Evanston
  • 3 star
  • Pool
  • Business center
  • Bed choice
  • $92/night (no reference for normal price)

HOTWIRE

• Skokie - Niles - Evanston
  • 3 star
  • Free Parking
  • Pet friendly
  • Indoor pool(s)
  • Fitness Center
  • Pool(s)
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Laundry Facilities (self-service)
  • Tennis Nearby
  • Accessible for the blind
  • Accessible for the deaf
  • Accessible path of travel
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Handicapped parking
  • Roll-in shower
  • $73 (from $140)
  • Suspect Holiday Inn in Skokie

• 3.5 star
  • Free Parking
  • Free Internet
  • Indoor pool(s)
  • Fitness Center
  • Pool(s)
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • High-Speed Internet Access
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Handicapped parking
  • Roll-in shower
  • $98 (from $130)
  • Suspect is Evanston Hilton

Northbrook - Glenview - Mt. Prospect

• 3.5 star
  • Free Parking
  • Pet friendly
  • Suite
  • Indoor pool(s)
  • Fitness Center
  • Pool(s)
  • Restaurant(s)
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Handicapped parking
  • $91 (from $140)

• 3 star
  • Free Parking
  • Free breakfast
  • Pet friendly
  • Indoor pool(s)
  • Smoke Free Rooms
  • Fitness Center
  • Pool(s)
  • Business Center
  • High-Speed Internet Access
  • Kitchenette
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Handicapped parking
  • Roll-in shower
  • $98 (from $197)

There were a few more, but were either over $100/night or below 3*.

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance!

Hi - had moved your post to its own thread, but merged that with my reply (further up) in this thread. My concern becomes the fact that public transit is not as convenient in the suburbs - especially once you get out to the Northbrook and Glenview areas. Those are very nice areas, but it's often not easy to get from those hotels to public transit. A number of those hotels are isolated/somewhat isolated and while it's not a far drive to a train station, it's not walkable. Evanston is great, but the hotels in downtown Evanston are not often seen - the Holiday Inn Skokie (which is not a very good property) and Doubletree (which is a fairly nice if somewhat older Doubletree) are much more commonly seen. The Doubletree would involve taking the bus to the train downtown, and the bus aspect of the trip may have somewhat limited hours once it gets later into the evening and weekends.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you so much for your replies. I guess I should have read your nice post from 2010 where you give some very good advice, though, first! :wacko:

I listed more than two hotels, though, what other hotels would you suspect? (Note that I had two Glenbrook properties listed, too.) After all, it may be worth renting a car between 4 people rather than paying exorbitant prices downtown Chicago. And I'd like to give the other couple some options...

And thanks again in advance.

Just to confirm: are you searching for 2 rooms/4 adults (2 per room)?

For 9/4-9 I'm seeing the below.

3.5* in Skokie = likely Doubletree

3* in Skokie HOTWIRE = likely Skokie Holiday Inn

3* Northbrook = not yet ID'd/reported to the board; possibly Springhill Suites Glenview?

3.5* Northbrook - I'd guess a new amenity set for the Marriott Suites Deerfield.

Are you seeing the 3* Skokie on PRICELINE under the Express Deals or Name Your Own Price w/amenities showing?

I'm seeing a 4* for $79 (you may see a slightly different price) in the Northbrook area on HOTWIRE when searching for 9/4-9. By bidding on PRICELINE, you may be able to get a 4* in the North Shore zone (which is a zone within the North Shore region) for $55-65 (you could try $50) for 9/4-9.

If you do stay in the burbs, it's best to have a car. Additionally, if you stay in Deerfield/Northbrook, there's a very pretty drive along the lake to Wilmette/Baha'i.

Please let us know if you have any questions before bidding/purchasing.

• 10 months later...

This trip was to meet up with our kid and his bride to be - but it never happened.  I instead went to a DC area conference - and did use your site to book one night in Baltimore.  (I hope; I know we used Hotwire or Priceline, anyway.)

However, we are almost definitely going to an AIA conference there from 06/24-28.  But the conference is downtown and, thus far, we're booked at Club Quarters - Central Loop for $1,163 for 7 nights (plus $190.72 - 16.4% - taxes, so $1,353.72 total) via booking.com.  We haven't booked airline tickets yet; Kayak says we can wait.  Right now, the dates I want are about $400 odd RT per person.

By the by - I absolutely HAVE been using your Hotwire and PRICELINE links - but other sites have been cheaper.  I'm really trying to support your site since this service is so helpful, but I need to use what works.

Thank you again for all your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]