Hotwire Hotel: San Diego Coronado 4*hotel

janhen
By janhen,
in

hopefully, when thereuare comes back from vacation, he'll move this thread to the California board for you.

anyway, i've been playing around w/ Hotwire for a SD trip myself, and i suspect that the 4* you're asking about could either be the Marriott Coronado or the Loews Coronado. but there is no way to be sure.

the Marriott is farther from the beach than the Loews. so the Oceanfront only amenity might mean it's the Marriott. but again, these are just guesses.

what were the dates you used to search Hotwire that came up w/ this 4* result?

i tried a few dates but wasn't able to reproduce the result you got.

you can't really go wrong w/ a 4* hotel on Coronado if it's the right price.

how much was it going for?

Edit: actually, on second thought, i'm not sure that Marriott even participates on Hotwire. Marriott is not listed under Hotwire's Hotel Partners list. so maybe this is the Loews Coronado after all?

I did a hotwire search for Coronado and got one 4.5*, which I assume is the Hotel Del, and one 4*, which I am hoping to identify. Amenities include: oceanfront (no beach access), rest, pool, fitness center, internet access, business center, golf, tennis and spa. I am assuming that this is either the Marriott or Loews. Anyone have more information? Thank you.

hi janhen, just wanted to let you know i replied to your post in the other part of the forum.

i'll copy/paste it here:

hopefully, when thereuare comes back from vacation, he'll move this thread to the California board for you.

anyway, i've been playing around w/ Hotwire for a SD trip myself, and i suspect that the 4* you're asking about could either be the Marriott Coronado or the Loews Coronado. but there is no way to be sure.

the Marriott is farther from the beach than the Loews. so the Oceanfront only amenity might mean it's the Marriott. but again, these are just guesses.

what were the dates you used to search Hotwire that came up w/ this 4* result?

i tried a few dates but wasn't able to reproduce the result you got.

you can't really go wrong w/ a 4* hotel on Coronado if it's the right price.

how much was it going for?

Edit: actually, on second thought, i'm not sure that Marriott even participates on Hotwire. Marriott is not listed under Hotwire's Hotel Partners list. so maybe this is the Loews Coronado after all?

I ran the hotwire search for 8/24-8/29, and the price quoted was $161. Hope that helps.

I also got a 4.5* for $130, which I assume is the Hotel Del?

okay, i went ahead and tried the same search.

i got the same 4.5* for $130 w/ amenities: Resort, Beachfront, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Business, Golf, Tennis, Spa.

i always suspected this was the Del, however a weird thing is that when the Del shows up in the Vacation Package Product, it also has one extra amenity that isn't in the Hotel-only results: Beach Access.

now maybe Hotwire has edited the amenities to get rid of Beach Access, but the edit is only reflecting in the Hotel-only database??? after all, Beach Access and Beachfront are sort of redundant, aren't they? heh.

in any case, only $130 for what could be the Hotel Del?! that's a ridiculously good deal if it is the Del!

the problem is, that missing Beach Access amenity is worrying.

if you go to Vacation Package and search for the same dates for a Hotel + Car package. you should see what i mean.

as for the 4*, the one that's showing up when i do the same search has the following amenities:

Beach Access, Oceanfront, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Spa

i got a quote of $156/night.

you didn't mention the Beach Access amenity in your first post.

if you double check your search again, and the 4* is showing Beach Access, then i would say that it's likely to be the Loews Coronado. but again, nothing is 100% certain until someone actually takes on the risk and buys the room. :)

good luck. :)

Thanks for your help dbnyc. You are right about the beach access. I looked at my notes, which had oceanfront(no beach access) and beach access, and misinterpreted them. I tend to agree with your conclusions. I also suspect :) and this may just be the cynic in me :) that Hotwire is deliberately hoping to sow some seeds of confusion. Thay have obviously heard of this site, and hope to retain their mystery. Just my opinion!

Edit:  actually, on second thought, i'm not sure that Marriott even participates on Hotwire.  Marriott is not listed under Hotwire's Hotel Partners list.  so maybe this is the Loews Coronado after all?

dbnyc - One thing leads me to think your hunch may be right: The Marriott (the former Le Meredien) is located across from Downtown and the Convention Center (you turn to the right as soon as you finish crossing the Bay on the Coronado Bay Bridge). There's no was I would use "oceanfront" for the Marriott (but who knows)? ?

The Loews is several miles south, down State Highway 75 (Silver Strand Boulevard), past the Naval Amphibious base. The road runs along a narrow sliver of land separating the ocean from the bay. When you reach the entrance to the Loews, you turn towards the bay, away from the ocean, to enter the resort complex. Therefore the description of "oceanfront, no beach" seems to fit better.

I stayed at the Lowes in late '01 at a $99 Loews special weekend rate. Rooms are very nice, with HUGE bathrooms (separate shower and soaking tub, etc). Restaurant is good but service was spotty (well-intentioned but inexperienced). Very nice swimming pool area.

Note: This is a cross-post from the other threrad (in case anyoe follows one of the threads but not the other).

The Marriott (the former Le Meredien) is located across from Downtown and the Convention Center (you turn to the right as soon as you finish crossing the Bay on the Coronado Bay Bridge). There's no was I would use "oceanfront" for the Marriott (but who knows)? ?

The Loews is several miles south, down State Highway 75 (Silver Strand Boulevard), past the Naval Amphibious base. The road runs along a narrow sliver of land separating the ocean from the bay. When you reach the entrance to the Loews, you turn towards the bay, away from the ocean, to enter the resort complex. Therefore the description of "oceanfront, no beach" seems to fit better.

I stayed at the Lowes in late '01 at a $99 Loews special weekend rate. Rooms are very nice, with HUGE bathrooms (separate shower and soaking tub, etc). Restaurant is good but service was spotty (well-intentioned but inexperienced). Very nice swimming pool area.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]