My issues/concerns with using Priceline...and the future

Dary_Kroger
By Dary_Kroger,
in

I've been using Priceline for a bit,and then did some research on it just to get an idea of what other people are saying about it. I then came across a few posts referring people to this site, and here I am.

Anyhow, I've been using it for awhile...but now, I'm becoming concerned about whether I want to continue using it, and what are the alternatives. My 1st concern is the guests who used Priceline and then cause a little havoc with the check-in staff. I was at a hotel the other day that I booked on PL. Not sure what the issue was, but it was huge comotion alongside the lines of, "Priceline has your credit card information", and "we're calling the police". Shortly after, the town's police was in the lobby. I'm thinking the hotel was like, "oh no, another priceline customer".

The other issue is the choice of hotels lately just haven't been very impressive. Seems like I'm always getting booked into a Holiday Inn or Choice hotels (Comfort Inn). I was particularly annoyed having gotten a room at the Ramada in another state. A 3 star Ramada! The bathrooms were gross! Don't get me wrong, these are nice hotels sometimes...but of all the 3 star hotels that they say you "could get" on their Express Deals page, it's usually Holiday Inn. 3.5 star is often Doubletree rather than Hilton. My issue with those is they tend to be noisy and overcrowded. Am I not bidding enough? I keep it around $35-50 per night on my bidding before taxes. I tend to like Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place, Hilton Garden Inn, Mariott (sometimes courtyard).

Do you think some hotels maybe refuse to inventory on Priceline due to the type of guests they 'tend' to attract? Not to say we're all horrible guests, but I'm sure moreso with PL than those who booked through the hotel directly. What do you think will happen if PL guests continue getting a bad wrap? I hate when a hotel says, "You booked on Priceline?" I start feeling embarrassed now LOL. I prefer they say, "your room has already been paid for, all we need is a credit card for incidentals".

I've also heard that when you book from Priceline's brother site Booking.com, hotels don't even hold an incidental fee. How does one get around all of it? In my research I also heard people say the best rates can be had when calling the hotel directly and negotiatiing. But even before I used PL, I never had any luck negotiating with hotels but never really did it far in advance. But why would people want to negotiate with hotels when Priceline/Hotwire does that for you already? If I call the Hampton Inn today, they give out the standard rate of the day.

I've never run into your exact situation, but I have had a couple of experiences when I've booked a NYOP through PRICELINE and then the hotel couldn't "find my reservation," and were unwilling to help despite the fact that I had the confirmation sheet from PL (I even showed them the rate and all!). My most recent experience was at the Sheraton, south of Santa Rosa near Petaluma. Luckily it was a Sunday night and not crowded so I was able to call PL and they spoke directly with the hotel desk clerk. Whatever happened, we were allowed to go to a room and PL said they would take care of it (and they did). I agree that once in awhile you hit a hotel that isn't up to standards, or a hotel that you were trying to avoid (even at the 4* level). The great thing about this site is that they have a wealth of prior hotel wins reported to the Board and you often can determine fairly specifically the range of hotels (names and star ratings) that may be won on a NYOP or Express Deal through PL. That helped when I won a New Orleans hotel today. All 4* listed in the Convention Center and Downtown were acceptable to me. There are a couple French quarter hotels I like to avoid, and since they were listed as possible wins, I just avoided that area. I won the Marriott at less than 1/2 any advertised, prepaid price that identified the hotel. That's PL working for you.

I also agree that I enjoy when the desk clerk states only that I am prepaid and just need a credit card when checking in for incidentals. Not sure why I care when they announce, "I see you booked through Priceline!" At least I try to take it as booking through any agency, but I know everyone assumes it was NYOP. Which, given the fact that I pay around 50% less than even a good advertised special, that makes me feel pretty good when I'm on another trip I was able to afford because I saved so much money on PL. Not sure about the Booking.com situation. Even when booking through the BB site at a Hilton (I also like to keep my elite status, especially when someone else is paying for my hotel stay), I am always asked for a credit card for incidentals. Even when I prepay for a reservation at the Hilton.com site to save 10%. I'll be interested to see what others say, but I'm a die hard PL fan from long ago and love spending the money I saved on hotels on a rental car and great food (or another trip)!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]