Hotwire and number of beds

jobu
By jobu,
in

Aloha,

For my Hotwire searches, specifically on the "hide the hotel name searches", when I select "4 adults" am I guaranteed to get a room with 2 beds? Same with "2 adults/2 kids"? Conversely I expect that if I select "1 adult" or "2 adults" the room will likely have only 1 bed, correct?

Thanks,

Joe

when I select "4 adults" am I guaranteed to get a room with 2 beds? Same with "2 adults/2 kids"?
HOTWIRE guarantees sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search... this often means two beds in the room, but the second 'bed' could be a pullout sofabed, rollaway brought into the room, etc.
Conversely I expect that if I select "1 adult" or "2 adults" the room will likely have only 1 bed, correct?
Not necessarily, this depends on the hotel and the rooms they have and in some cases the city you search for. But if you want to secure sleeping accommodations for more then 2 adults would I search for 4 or 2 + 2.

I hope this helps.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't matter who your 2 people are, person-mother, person-brother, 2 brothers, 2 friends, 2 coworkers, person-grandmother, mother-son, EXPECT that you may have to share a queen bed or worse, a double bed. Hotwire doesn't warn you that booking for "2" might mean getting cozy. If you are willing to pay more for another bed, make a booking then research the hotel you get. If they do have 1-bed rooms, call to see what you are booked for (most likely their cheapest rooms I.e. with1 bed.). The hotel should then be able to tell you what their upgrade fee is, usually ~$20-40. I can't believe hotwire doesn't warn you about this potential outcome for "2" but it is hit or miss since you can't research the hotel before buying (unless better bidding.com has helped:)

• 1 month later...

I concur... but watch out for issues with 3 or 4, too. While HOTWIRE guarantees enough beds for 3 or 4 when so booked, as yellowdog says, the hotel may not follow the guarantee.

This weekend was the second time a "3" caused me issues. This time, I booked for 3 (my wife and stepson, age 19, being the other travelers) and got a room with 1 queen bed. When I went to the desk, I was told HOTWIRE had only booked for 2 -- and they showed me what surely looked like a submission from HOTWIRE. I called Hotwire, and was told to pay the upgrade fee for a room with 2 doubles, and they would reimburse me once receipt was faxed to them, plus give me $25 in future travel credit. This cost an hour out of a weekend trip to resolve. Last time, it was a rather late night arrival (11 p.m. or so) after a 4 hour drive. The hotel did not try to upcharge, but had no rooms empty with two beds. They offered a rollaway... but it wouldn't fit in the room. Hotwire was called, and booked us at another hotel 10 miles away (thankfully, I was driving and not reliant on public transit) -- no cost to us, but by the time we got to bed it was 1 a.m.

I just spoke with a (very good) Hotw.ire rep on the phone about my experiences. He suggested when booking for 3 or 4, call Hotwire after the hotel name is given, preferably during the day so a day manager is at the hotel, and having them call the hotel to ensure a proper room is booked. That hopefully would save potential arrival grief.

I'm trying to get a room for two Moms and two 16 year old daughters. They want two beds (one Mom and one daughter in each bed). When I put in 2 adults/2 children I get different hotels and prices compared to 4 adults. Why is that? I think I'm going to go with the 4 adults--seems like the best bet to be able to fit 4 people.

Sara

Hi Aaron. Thanks. But that is not the issue. Why different for 4 adults vs 2 adults/2 children? Hotwire defines "children" as 2-17. 2- adults and 2- 16 year olds really count as 4 adults in my book! So I'm just trying to figure out why HW is giving me different sets of rooms and prices? I am going with the "4 adults" as a safety, trying to ensure 2 beds or bed/sofa/cot.

Sara

In the simplest terms (as it can get more complicated than this, but the following show offer an eacy to follow explanation):

1) HOTWIRE only shows the lowest priced hotel at a given star rating in the zone

2) some hotels charge more anytime there is more than double occupancy in a room (regardless of the age of the additional guests) while other hotels allow children to stay at no additional charge

Therefore, let's assume you're searching for a 4* hotel for double occupancy and HOTEL-A is priced at $150 and HOTEL-B is priced at $180, therefore HOTEL-A is the one offered on this search. Now you change the search to quad occupancy and HOTEL-A calculates an additional charge of $25 per person for more than double occupancy where HOTEL-B does not... so the rate for HOTEL-A becomes $200 and HOTEL-B stays at $180, so the offering at the 4* level in this area changes since for quad occupancy HOTEL-B is the least expensive property.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

If you have further questions on this subject please start a NEW TOPIC for the trip you're seeking help with and we will assist you there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I am ready to use hotwire.com for the first time and I need to book a room for 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 10 and 7). I have played around with the hotwire searches and it looks like they charge about $16-$20 more for each adult (searched as 2 adults/2 kids vs 3 adults/1 kid vs 4 adults). Should I just go with the 2 adults/2 kids search and then call hotwire to make sure the correct room booked?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]