Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Long Island City) Z New York Hotel

EdBangerRecords
By EdBangerRecords,
in

Hello!

I will visit NYC from Tue., Apr 30 to Sun., May 5 (5 nights).

I would like to have a 4* hotel.

The zones I prefer are :

1.TS

2.MW

3.CPS

4.ME

5.MSG

6.ESB

7.HK

8.C

I tried to find a 4* in TS and MW. I used te re-bidding strategy with 170, 180, 190, 220$, and there was no good result.

Before continuing, I would like to have some tips.

What would be the good price to have a 4*?

Should I wait few more days before bidding my hotel?

Thanks!

With nicer weather, there's more traffic - the January-early March season is the slow season due to colder weather. Spring also sees more in the way of events - baseball, graduations, etc.

At this point, based on the rates I'm seeing, my guess is that a 4* in Midtown is likely going to require $245-265, depending on the zone.

You can either:

1. If $220 is your max bid, you can try up to that point every couple of days in the hopes that prices may fall. There's no guarantee they will.

2. Raise your max.

3. Consider lowering your star rating to 3.5*

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you for the information.

Maybe I can find a less expensive hotel in Jersey City.

What is the best : pay less for this kind of hotel, and lose time each day, or pay more to be in the center?

If I were you I would split my time and my bid. Two nights in Jersey City or Hoboken, and 3 nights in Manhattan. With JC and Hoboken you get the amazing views but it does take a little more time to get into Manhattan.

EdBangerRecords

What is the best : pay less for this kind of hotel, and lose time each day, or pay more to be in the center?

This is really your call. It's a really fast and convenient ride from Jersey City by Path or buss. If you want to save money so try the Jersey option. Hoboken is small but a great place if you want to go to some bars/restaurants at night.

Or do like Shea77 says, split your stay. Is that an option for you?

Let us know what you decide and well try to help you with that.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

Please let us know if you have any questions and keep us updated on what you decide. With NYC, I think it's best to stay in Manhattan if at all possible; it saves time and it's an enjoyable part of the experience to not have to commute in and out at the beginning and end of each day. If you do decide to stay outside the city for all or part of the time, let us know if you have any questions in regards to that, as well.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi!

:(

I'm so unlucky, and I feel I'm being ripped off.

I used the strategy to have a 3.5* in Times Square.

There are three places without 3.5* : Coney Island, Long Island City, Queensborough.

And finaly, I won a 3.5* hotel in Long Island at 200$ (without taxe) per night! :(

How is it possible? It's so bad for me, I will not be in the center :(

Do they have the right to show that there is no 3.5* hotel in a place, and then finaly make a book in this same place?

What can I do?

EdBangerRecords

This sounds strange. I just checked and like you say, LIC don't have any 3.5* bidding.

But please post the details for your win and we'll look at this.

You can use the "edit to report win" button (down in the right corner) to edit this post to a win.

Yellowdog.

What I'm thinking, is that even if I've been tricked, we can't say that Priceline stole me.

I explain :

I first bid for a 3.5* in Times Square => no result

Then, I bid for a 3.5* in Times Square and Coney Island => no result

Finaly, I bid for a 3.5* in Times Square, Coney Island and Long Island City => Result : I have a 3.5* in LIC.

So, it's not totaly a theft, but Priceline lie when they say there is no 3.5* in LIC.

If I call them, and they reply : "You bid for a 3.5* in LIC, and you get it, so we did our job". Am I wrong?

(I'm sorry for my English, I'm French ;) ).

If there's no 3.5* able to be selected in LIC then you should have not have gotten a 3.5* hotel and it wasn't the zone you were intending. This is actually the first time I believe I've seen an instance of this (getting a hotel at a certain star rating when that star rating is not able to be selected on the zone map screen.)

Sorry again that this happened, and let us know what PRICELINE says.

They said :

You chose three areas and bid for a 3.5* hotel, and you had a 3.5* hotel in one of the area you selected.

And as the name of the hotel was revealed, we can't do anything for you.

They have no explanation about how it is possible to have a 3.5* hotel in an area in which there shoudn't be one.

:(

There is a 3.5* option for Express Deals in Long Island City. When I tried to make a "Name Your Own Price" bid, the highest rated hotel category is 3* in LIC. I would take a screen shot showing this 3* highest rating and forward it to PRICELINE's customer service as an email or a fax. Ask them explain how you could get a 3.5* hotel when the highest rating is 3* when you bid? I agree this is an error and you should have your purchase refunded. Good luck and let us know your outcome.

Unfortunately i don't have much information to add. Obviously the situation is that there was a lag time between the time the hotel was upgraded/added to the system and the time that it was reflected as available from the PRICELINE bidding page. The best advice i can offer is to continue up chain of command and plead/explain your case to PRICELINE.

Good luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]