Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago

dahl
By dahl,
in

This is in the core of the busier late Spring/early Summer period - nicer weather, baseball and other factors result in (traditionally) higher/high rates. Rates are very high for these dates on HOTWIRE - there appears to be a fairly sizable convention (31,000, and taking place during pretty much this entire period - 5/31-6/4) + the factors above. $115 is unfortunately not going to be realistic, with HOTWIRE showing as much as $400 for a 4* in this zone.

Are you driving or flying in?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Actually we are coming in on the Capital Limited (Amtrak) and picking up a car at Union Station. We are headed up to the Wisconsin Dells that weekend and if all else fails we will just try staying on the outskirts of the city. We only need to lodge in Chicago the nights of 5/30 and 6/4 so if we have stay in the suburbs its no big deal. We usually get a 4* hotel in Chicago in the range that I reported on PRICELINE but not on this trip. I'll give the bids on last trip in CHI next month and see what results.

As hotel pricing is date specific, please only post one stay per thread... we will use this thread for your 5/30 stay, please start a NEW TOPIC for the nite of 6/4.

Keep us updated on your progress and please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin all your future bidding, searches and travel purchases.

Let us know how we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you're heading up via 94 to Milwaukee and then over (up to Milwaukee, then over to Madison and up on the highway is probably fastest, but you could also go the back way through Lake Geneva and up to Madison and then up the remainder), there's a great outlet mall right over the border (http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=90) and local institution Mars Cheese Castle (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60003-d2220035-Reviews-Mars_Cheese_Castle-Kenosha_Wisconsin.html) is up the road a bit. If you're driving and headed towards the Dells, I'd definitely stay in the North burbs.

I'd suggest bidding at the 3.5* level in the Deerfield zone, and my guess is that it will take between $45-52 to win at the 3.5* level in this zone for 5/30. The "known" possibilities in this zone at this level are the Marriott Suites Deerfield, the Embassy Suites Deerfield and the Hyatt Deerfield.

Near the Dells, I think Devil's Lake State Park is gorgeous and an absolute must. Nearby is also a semi-secret natural area called Pewitt's Nest that's really beautiful (pics, information) - it's a pretty little gorge with small waterfalls.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been able to get a nice 4* Hotel in Chicago for around the $100 range and so far the bidding for 6/4/13 (Tues) is up to $135 and no luck. As pointed out on another thread its a busy time of year there and if you do a search of the "buy it now" prices are significantly higher than my bid.

We have a few months to go, so waiting it out is now my strategy. If I have to get hosed, best to get it later rather than sooner. My theory is that as we get closer to the date the hotels may be willing to let unsold rooms go for a lower price, but really now, is $130 + $40 extra to park that LOW? Considering the 3 1/2* star hotels there but they too seem to be priced very high. If anyone comes across a decent deal please pass it on.

At $150 I am at my limit for a 4* Chicago hotel in the Magnificent Mile/River North Area. Since the date is far off I'll just play the waiting game.........and yes I did use the BiddingHelper.com. Unfortunately it wasn't successful on this try but patience is key that some hotel will bite at the carrot. The fall back position is to book in Northbrook about 22 mi North of center city. There you can definitely get a 4* for $100 or less and FREE parking instead of paying $40 a night. Is Northbrook a good area to lodge in?

I won't give those creeps one nickle more as I know these hotels rent for less. On three trips to Chicago I've been able to get 4* for $100 or less; The Whitehall, Drake and Millenium Knickerbocker all accepted this rate or less. The economy can't be that good that they can play the independent game and win. We'll see who wins this one.

A 4* in the North Shore zone (which is a separate zone within the North Shore region) is likely going to take between around $60-75 (you may luck out and get something in the $50's, but I think it's going to likely take at least $60+, given the rates I'm seeing) and offer free parking.

I also like the 3.5* level hotels in the Deerfield zone (Hyatt Deerfield, Embassy Suites Deerfield, Marriott Suites Deerfield) - I've stayed at all three and while the Marriott has gotten a few negative reviews lately, I (personally, others understandably may encounter issues) have had good stays there. If you are coming into the city and then going right up to the Dells, I'd just stay in Northbrook, which is a head start on the way North.

The North suburbs are very nice and offer a wide variety of shopping and restaurants. Some of the hotels in this area are rather isolated, but it's a quick drive to shopping/dining.

If your max is $150 downtown, there's another $20/25 + city tax (city parking) or $45-65 (hotel parking) on top of that.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I have been bidding unsuccessfully for a 4* hotel in the North Michigan Ave for the last month and tried again tonight. PRICELINE reports that the mean price for a 4* hotel in that area in early June is $247. I said OK lets give it one last try and pay a bit more. Our bid of $135 was accepted on the first shot.

From what I can gather there are periods in a hotels booking schedule where rates drop during slow periods. Priceline with the buy now/ pay now terms gives a revenue stream to hotels in these slow periods. Such a period appears to be mid February as the same situation happened to us two years ago. Ironically we got the Mellenium Knickerbock hotel at that time as well. Its an excellent hotel, with well decorated rooms and a great staff. Ideal to lodge at and its right in the middle of the Magnificent Mile shopping and restaurant area. We are very happy and did use the BiddingHelper.com above.

BTW, the rooms look exactly as they are shown on the home page of the hotels website.

Success didn't come easy this time around but perserverance paid off. The Knickerbocker like many Chicagao Hotels in the Magnificent Mile area like the Drake is ab older hotel but very well maintained. I rate it a solid 3 1/2 -4 stars depending on what room you get but it is a full service hotel and the staff is great. The lesson to be learned here is to bid in February for late spring/summer accomodations and you should score something decent. Rates on 4* Chicago Hotels seem to vary very widely.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]