Taking rental vehicle out of state fee?

sclarke
By sclarke,
in

Hi,

I'm planning on bidding on a premium car with Priceline out of LAX from Feb 11-25. I plan to visit Nevada, and Arizona as well as California. I'm wondering if any car rental agencies charge a fee or per mile charge for leaving the State that the car was rented in. Because i will be bidding i will have no idea which agency will provide the car. I've emailed Priceline and they have not responded yet.

Thanks guys.

Sean

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Each rental company has a different policy regarding what they consider to be the 'regional driving area' for which they allow unlimited miles. Usually if you drive outside of the designated area your unlimited mileage reverts to a per mile charge... and can be exorbitant.

Since when you bid on PRICELINE you will receive one of the following five companies: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz and National, i would suggest calling each one to see if each considers your itinerary within the regional boundaries and the rental would allow for unlimited mileage. If each considers your itinerary to be acceptable, then i would feel comfortable bidding on PRICELINE.

If/when you're ready to move forward let us know your maximum bid and we'll take a look at rates for your dates (and please click this PRICELINE link before replying).

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've been renting National for 30 years and they don't have any regional requirements for their unlimited mileage in areas I've rented. I have driven a weekend 3 day rental over 1,000 miles through 4 states and didn't even have a question when I checked in. California to Nevada and Arizona shouldn't be any problem with unlimited mileage, but Thereuare IS the expert so follow the advice from the Board before bidding PL. Not sure of other car rental company requirements.

Hello,

I've contacted all five of the rental agencies which you mentioned in your post and they all assured me that the i was free to leave the State from which i rented the car so long a i dropped it back off at LAX when it was due back. As for bidding i started at $11,00 per day and was rejected. I'm going up in one dollar increments and will try $13,00 tonight. I'm not sure what my maximum bid will be. Would i more likely to have a lower bid excepted closer to my booking start date?

Not sure your needs for this trip, but you may be seeing a decent jump between bidding for a fullsize (or less) vehicle vs. bidding for a premium car. What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventionally book methods? (try our Car Rental Checker found under the TOOLS tab above)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The advantage of an off-site location is that you save a LOT in taxes, however, if you need to take a taxi from the airport to the off-site location and then a taxi from the rental counter back to the airport when you drop off the car, this can negate any savings.

As well, there are more airport locations which participate with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE then in the city itself.

Do you have a means to get to an off-site rental counter... or would you be taking a taxi?

Rates can certainly change between now and February, but based upon current rates i think you're likely too low... what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (you can also try our Car Rental Checker found under the TOOLS tab at the top of the board.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]