Hotwire Hotel: Need help IDing 3 star property in East Wichita

BCOS
By BCOS,
in

Hello,

I am looking at rates for a specific Hotwire listing and have a question about something I am seeing.

Based on everything I have researched about the area of the particular city we are looking at, there are three three-star hotels: Holiday Inn Select, Staybridge Suites, and Springhill Suites.

There are reports on this board and a couple of others about the city I am looking at, as well as the area of town, and the only three star anyone has ever reported getting that I can find is the Holiday Inn.

The amenities listed on Hotwire include golf and tennis. When I look on Expedia for information about those three hotels, Holiday Inn is the only one that specifically mentions golf and tennis, however, I know the area and the other two hotels are equally close to golf and tennis opportunities... they just don't seem to mention that on any unmasked travel booking sites that I am looking at.

When I click "Continue" for the only three-star showing for that area on Hotwire, I am taken to a page with some more Hotwire-divulged information, including the fact that there are 10+ Hotwire reviews for this property and it has is recommended by 100%, and there is also a TripAdvisor logo showing it has a 4.5 satisfaction rating on TripAdvisor.

So here is my question, which is more general than specific, I think (which is why I did not post it on the state-specific board or mention the state here):

There is only ONE three-star hotel in the area that has a 4.5 rating by TripAdvisor users, and it is NOT the Holiday Inn.

Holiday Inn TripAdvisor rating: 3.5 (53% do NOT recommend staying here, ranked 44 of 75 hotels)

Springhill Suites TripAdvisor rating: 3.5 (55% recommend staying here, ranked 45 of 75 hotels)

Staybridge Suites TripAdvisor rating: 4.5 (88% recommend staying here, ranked 5 of 75 hotels)

Hotwire says I'd be getting a three star hotel with a 4.5 TripAdvisor rating. The Holiday Inn only has a 3.5 TripAdvisor rating. EVERYTHING but the TripAdvisor rating points to this property likely being the Holiday Inn... and yet when I asked Hotwire both on the phone and via LiveChat, they said that the TripAdvisor rating I was shown was 100% accurate and up to date and reflects today's current TripAdvisor rating.

All of that to finally get to my question:

Is there ANY chance I would end up with the Holiday Inn (which won't work well for us) based on what I know about the TripAdvisor clues? Is the TripAdvisor rating they show users on Hotwire absolutely accurate and up to date?

Oh - and it appears that the Homewood Suites is also a three star in this area in which I am looking that has a 4.5 on TripAdvisor, where it is rated 1 of 75, with 92% recommending it.

When I click the tab that allows me to see their unmasked 'more hotels', Homewood is the only three star that shows up on that list, and it does show as a 4.5 TripAdvisor rated property.

So... my original question is still the same. Can a Hotwire user count on the TripAdvisor rating given by Hotwire to be accurate? Once I know the name of the hotel, if I go to TripAdvisor am I going to see the same rating that I see on Hotwire now, pre-booking?

1) Hotwire's GOLF and TENNIS icons don't mean the hotel in question offers golf and/or tennis. The icons mean golf and/or tennis are within a short drive of the hotel, and "short drive" isn't defined.

2) When TripAdvisor ratings change, up or down, there's a lag of days or weeks before the new TA rating transmits to Hotwire. If you're searching during that lag time a hotel might display different TA ratings on Hotwire and TripAdvisor, usually a difference of 0.5.

3) If you want a second opinion on what hotel you're seeing please provide the city/zone and dates.

1) Hotwire's GOLF and TENNIS icons don't mean the hotel in question offers golf and/or tennis. The icons mean golf and/or tennis are within a short drive of the hotel, and "short drive" isn't defined.

2) When TripAdvisor ratings change, up or down, there's a lag of days or weeks before the new TA rating transmits to Hotwire. If you're searching during that lag time a hotel might display different TA ratings on Hotwire and TripAdvisor, usually a difference of 0.5.

3) If you want a second opionion on what hotel you're seeing please provide the city/zone and dates.

Thanks - and yes, I knew that golf and tennis amenity icons just meant that they were nearby, not necessarily on property. I know the area fairly well, and golf and tennis will be pretty close to any hotel in that area. Those amenities just seemed like they might possibly differentiate it from other hotels, and Expedia and / or TripAdvisor did specifically mention golf and tennis were nearby or on property for some 4.5-T.A.-rated hotels. Others made no mention of either activity anywhere on Expedia or TripAdvisor.

I posted my first post before I should have, because the more I played around with TripAdvisor, I came to see that there are actually six hotels with 4.5 ratings for TripAdvisor in the area... however, the Holiday Inn, which Better Bidding shows as the only three star hotel, just has a 3.5 on TripAdvisor.

I realize that there is not really a standard for Hotwire's 2, 2 1/2, and 3 star ratings, and that one site might classify a hotel as a 2 1/2 while Hotwire might have it as a 3.

But they quote a specific TripAdvisor rating, and I can actually *go* to TripAdvisor and *see* which hotels in that zone have that rating... which is why it seemed like that piece of data had less opacity than others Hotwire provides.

When I first posted, I really only thought there were one or two TA-4.5-rated hotels in the area *plus* the BB-mentioned Holiday Inn I needed to concern myself with. I really just was hoping to get confirmation of whether or not Hotwire would say, "TripAdvisor rates it a 4.5!" if in fact TripAdvisor has it as a 3.5. I didn't know if there is a live interface between Hotwire and TripAdvisor for that data, or if it might possibly be outdated.

I really *didn't* want Holiday Inn, and the other one or two properties I thought it might be would have been perfect.

Now that I'm aware there are four others with 4.5 ratings on TA, one of which isn't high on my list... I'm thinking I should ask this on the state-specific board.

BCOS,

If you want a second opinion about which hotel this might be all you have to do is add the city/zone/dates here and a moderator will move the whole thread to the proper state forum. No need to copy all the info a second time in a second thread.

I posted about my dilemma in the general suggestions forum.

I'm searching Hotwire for June 6 - June 10, Wichita East.

There is a $57 - $61 property listed as a three star, with a 4.5 TripAdvisor rating, with the amenities 'No smoking, fitness, breakfast, swimming, business center, internet, golf, tennis'. It is recommended in 100% of Hotwire reviews.

The only *** property listed here on the Hotwire Wichita East list is the Holiday Inn Select. I've had trouble finding a hotel with that exact name (the "Select" is the problem), but there is a Holiday Inn in that zone. The amenities listed on the BB list say the Holiday Inn has 'Shuttle, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry'.

For all intents and purposes, it doesn't sound like the property I am being offered is that Holiday Inn... but for now, it's the only *** listed as a possibility.

There are six properties with 4.5 TripAdvisor ratings. Is it more likely to be one of those?

And I don't know if this is of any consequence, but when I am in the Hotwire results screen, if I click the "More Hotels" tab, where the opacity is removed and I'm given a list of hotel names and rates and can book with full disclosure, one of the hotels in that zone is the Staybridge Suites (Three Stars, 4.5 TripAdvisor rating), and earlier I was given the Homewood Suites (also Three Stars with a 4.5 TripAdvisor rating). The Holiday Inn comes up as a non-opaque choice, as well, and it is listed as a Three Star with a 3.5 TripAdvisor rating.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BCOS,

If you want a second opinion about which hotel this might be all you have to do is add the city/zone/dates here and a moderator will move the whole thread to the proper state forum. No need to copy all the info a second time in a second thread.

Thanks, Colfax. I did start a new thread in the Kansas forum. It has fewer details than I noted here since by the time I hopped over there, I had done a bit more refining than in my first post in this forum.

As mentioned above, the Tripadvisor information shown by HOTWIRE is not provided in 'real time', it is only updated periodically (about once a month) so the TA rating shown by HOTWIRE may different from the current TA rating if the TA rating has changed since HOTWIRE's last update.

The 'retail' hotels shown by HOTWIRE is not a finite list of hotels used in the region, and some hotels use multiple amenity combinations, so you may not find a match in the retail listings shown by HOTWIRE.

Since this a mulit-nite stay you could see if this same property is offered for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then again for the balance. If so, you could purchase the solo nite in order to 'look behind the curtain'. If you're happy with the results purchase the remaining nites, if not, make alternate plans for the balance of your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]