Can I use Priceline/Hotwire in Europe with children?

kauaigirl
By kauaigirl,
in

Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster. I have used Priceline Name-Your-Own-Price successfully throughout the US and was considering using it on our upcoming trip to Europe. However, having read through some of the topics here, I am concerned about possible restrictions on children in the room. Here is my situation:

My husband and I will be traveling with our three girls (an 8 year-old and 5 year-old twins). We are accustomed to having our kids sleep in our bed, especially in hotels. I understand that rooms will not be like those in the US and we are fine with being cramped. We only need the hotel to sleep in - we never (and I mean never) spend much time in the hotel, so a small room is fine.

I know Priceline only accommodates a double and Hotwire only allows you to add up to two children. Are either of these services an option for us or am I out of luck? We can squeeze everyone into two twin beds or a queen bed (we've done it before), but my concern is whether we would even be permitted to do this regardless of our personal comfort level.

Does anyone have experience with this that can offer some insight? We have hotels reserved already for London and Edinburgh, so my area of need would be three nights in Paris in mid-June (June 11-14) if that makes any difference.

Thank you,

Sherri

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You might be used to sleep with all your children. But hotels also got rules and fire regulations about the rooms. And the hotels can refuse to let you stay there when you arrive. So i would say that going with PRICELINE isn't your best option.

HOTWIRE will make sure that you have bed arrangements for the amount of guests booked in the room. I would say that you should go with HOTWIRE for this. Booking a quad room with HOTWIRE would solve your problem. And i can't imagine that there would be any trouble with this.

Let us know how you want to procced.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

As noted above, there may be code issue with more than 4 people at some properties, especially with some smaller European rooms (and there is the same issue in the US, where many hotels do have max occupancy in rooms, so it would be the same situation.)

While not without some risk in terms of having 5 people, I'd suggest using HOTWIRE (where you can indicate 4 - 2/2.) Some hotels will not appear on HOTWIRE when searching for more than 2; if a hotel appears when searching for four, then they are okay with four in the room.

Again, there still may be a risk with 5 (one idea would be to have an adult and one of the children wait outside or at least stay back while the rest of the group checks in - not have everyone come up to the check-in desk, in other words), but if you are searching for four on HOTWIRE, at least the hotel is comfortable with 4, versus a hotel that may not be comfortable with 4.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 1 month later...

Very risky IMO. There could be a capacity problem and there are very strict fire laws here. Be careful. You probably will be better off in an apartment. I would under no circumstances book anything non-refundable unless they had accepted the 5 person group in the booking. Sorry to go against the grain here, but this could be a very expensive adventure.

Try this: check into some American chains in Europe to see if they allow 5 and then perhaps you can identify those hotels on Hotwire like suggested here, or book them through a support link.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]