Tipping at Priceline and Hotwire hotels

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

I know that tipping is a general hotel issue, but I think there might be a few issues particularly for Priceline and Hotwire users. So I've put together a general list. I've muddled through so far without causing obvious offense to anyone so far, but I might as well get the etiquette down.

First, I'm never sure what to tip the maid in general (and I know people who vehemently protest that they never do). But what's a reasonable tip per night? Should the price of the room or the star level have any bearing on the amount of one's tip? Do you tip every morning, or just at the end of the stay? Should you be more generous because you got a good deal on the room? Does the geographical location of your stay matter?

Second, if I have somehow ended up in a higher star level hotel, I'd still prefer to carry my own luggage and so forth. I have always assumed there is no expectation that one use the services of a porter and tip him, but I thought I would ask.

Third, parking attendants. I never bring a car to a hotel, so not an issue for me, but I thought I would bring it up anyway.

Fourth, desk clerks. Some have suggested tipping a clerk as an inducement to getting a better room. With prepaid rooms, this is a hot issue. Is this a good idea, and in what contexts? How about if the clerk calls a cab?

Fifth, room service. I usually tip this the same way I'd tip the meal in a restaurant, but I'm not sure that's really fair, considering a server does more work.

Sixth, shuttle bus driver. Some shuttle rides are free, others are paid, some are short rides, and some are long distances.

Seventh, concierge. I wouldn't tip the clerk at a 1* hotel for advice about the bus service, but when do a concierge's services become significant enough to warrant a tip?

I am staying at a Radisson right now and like most hotels ... they automatically charge a 18% gratuity plus a 2.95 service fee onto all room service orders ... I find this to be way too much so I usually just go out to grab a bite. (Is there really a difference between "service fee" and "gratuity"?) The only other good thing aside from the convenience of room service is those miniature bottles of Hienz Ketchup, Tobasco, jams etc... they are cool.

The best deal/meal ever was at the Hyatt Regency Bellevue, WA ($29 on PL) ... fish and chips for only $7.95 bar special (or $9.95 on the room service menu) and enough to feed three people!!! I walked down myself to the bar to pick it up and tipped the server $2.00 on $18.00 check).

Personally, I would rather tip a gas station attendent a buck or two on a rainy day than a hotel clerk at check-in. I mean, once you already have your room assigned and signed you CC for incidentals, I see know benefit from than giving a tip.

With valet parking ... I only tip when I finally leave and never on 'in and outs'. I might start tipping the first time instead BUT I try my hardest to avoid valet parking anyway.

Shuttle never ... but I always feel sorry for the drivers and especially after chit chat. I always mention that I am a student and brag about my PL rate ... that way I do not feel guilty.

Maid: $3 every time they service the room, but I let them do my room only every other day (even that's too often and unnecessary as I'm very neat, but I don't want to appear too weird). I tip the same amout regardless of star level. If they don't like my tip, too bad. But I've often found hand-written thank you notes at 4* hotels, and have heard that business people tend to not tip them at all. I get extra bags of coffee and bathroom supplies, so I think they're quite satisfied.

Different maids service the room, some only work weekdays while others only work on weekends. So I think it's only fair to leave a tip every time rather than just at the end of the stay.

Front desk: no tip.

Room service guy that brings up the free amenity (for elite member at Hyatt): $5.

Waiter at breakfast (when it's free with a voucher - elite member): 20% of the menu price of the meal = $2 to $3.

Hotel/Rental Car/Off-airport parking lot shuttle: depending on mood and friendliness/helpfulness of driver. $2 if I'm the only rider, $1 if not, nothing if there was no communication with the driver and s/he didn't show intention to help with bags.

In-town hotel courtesy shuttles (drop-off and pick-up from restaurants and places in hotel's local area): $5 each way for 1 or 2 persons.

I do not use: concierge, valet parking, valet laundry, room service.

The method of booking and price paid have no bearing on tip amounts. The recipients of tips do not know how I booked or what I paid anyway.

This comes from the "Unofficial Guide to New York City" 3d. (2002):

"Once at the hotel, expect to slip the bellman a dollar per suitcase... When you check out, leave behind at least $1 a day for the maids, $2 a day if the room has a second visit for turndown service or extra care. Tipping the concierge is a question of letting the reward fir the service. If she merely makes dinner reservations, a warm thank you may suffice; if she finagles them in the hottest restaurant in town, or gets opening-night tickets to a Broadway blockbuster, go for the 20% rule."

I use $1 as the base rate and work up from there for special conditions and service. $1 a bag for airport porter/shuttle/bellman, $1 a day for maid, $1 for doorman getting cab.

Maid: I am one who tips at the end of the stay. But the more I think about it, the more I think I should tip each day as maids may change from day to day. I feel the star level, but not the price you paid should have a bearing on what is left. I usually tip $2-$3 a day.

Bell Services: When staying is 4* hotels, if I have a lot of luggage, I prefer to use the Bell Services to help with luggage to my room. I will usually tip $2 a bag. However, don't feel obligated to use them if you don't want to.

Parking Attendants: Valet? I will usually tip them $5 at both pickup and dropoff.

Desk Clerks: Never would tip them. If you nicely ask for what you want in terms of a room, they usually will try to get it for you. Don't do the bribe tip to try and get a better room.

Room Service: At most hotels a delivery and gratuity (15-20%) is added to the bill. I do not tip above this as it is already added.

Shuttle Bus Drivers: This really depends. I will usually tip $2 if I feel it is appropriate.

Concierge: If the concierge does an amazing job for you, tip them. For example, getting you tickets for a hard to get show, getting you a good restaurant reservation, etc. However, for simple directions a tip is not needed, IMHO.

Some say I am a very good tipper, and I would agree. I feel that if the service warrants it, a very good tip is appropriate. However, tipping is a very individual decision. When using Priceline, I feel I saved so much on the room I can afford to give a little extra when it comes to tipping.

• 4 weeks later...

Tipping the hotel clerk at check-in once again garnered us another large suite at the Wellesley in Tampa! :)

Priceliners are normally given a single queen bed in a small room at most Wellesley's!

I usually use the $20 Tip Trick at check-in for my stays of over 3 nites. :)

BTurner,

Can you explain how you word your '$20 trick' so that it's not ackward. Also, do you give the tip only if you get the upgrade, or do you tip and hope you get taken care of? Do you ask explicitly for the room upgrade you want, or do you ask generally if any upgrades are available?

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well.... one just knows if and when the tip trick is going to work with the check-in agent. After requesting check-in for OUR reservation and some small talk I ask pointblank if they are allowed to accept TIPS for providing excellent service. Usually the agent says of course and then I hand them the folded $20 bill with a big thank you. These folks are like airline gate agents. They can do almost anything they want to do about seating right before the flight leaves. MOst hotel check-in agents can do about the same if nicer rooms are available.

It is a win-win situation for all involved! :)

Parking Attendants:  Valet?  I will usually tip them $5 at both pickup and dropoff.

$5 tip for both in and out seems way too much for me.

Most hotels with (often more or less mandatory) valet parking charge $10 - $20 a day.

Tipping $5 in and out would mean that every trip to go to dinner, the office or whatever, would earn the valet / cost me a $10 tip: a lot of money on top of the parking charges and a lot of money for a little work.

$1 in and out is what I usually tip for valet parking.

On Tipping...

Maids - Never. Color me cheap, but I've barely even heard of this practice, and I don't believe I'd see any difference wether I did tip or not. What are they going to do, scrub the toilet extra hard? Give me extra tiny bars of soap?

Bellhops - Rarely use them. When I have, I usually give $1 per major bag. Totes, purses, briefcases don't count.

Parking attendants - Usually not used, but if so, generally $1 per round-trip. Then again, I'm not driving a fancy car.

Desk clerks - Never.

Room service - If the tip is not already included on the bill (and it usually is), I'll do 15%. By the way, I always thought that the "service charge" was for the linens and dishes involved (which is still ridiculous, since they don't charge their restaurant diners for that).

Shuttle driver - $1 per round-trip for short trips. $2 or more if it's a longer trip or there are significant bags involved.

Concierge - Never used one. No clue here.

Nautica3

Maids/housekeeping perform perhaps the most important function for the guest's comfort. I know that the pay is usually marginal and that the work is hard. As a frequent PL/HW cheapo guest I want to leave a favorable impression and as well be fair. $3/night for all but the worst service, each morning of the stay.

Bellhops/valet are usually male and usually seem to have lighter workloads, no scrubbing on knees. $1 - $3 depending on effort, remembering that they can perform their functions many times per hour but housekeeping is limited to 2 - 3

shots/hour at our tips. If you leave a bunch of valuable stuff in your car, $3 might give you peace of mind. If you have the bellhop haul it all upstairs, that's

the person to tip.

Room service charges for delivery and gratuity. I sure hope this is shared with the employees. I'll add a cash $1.

Shuttle at most $1.

Desk clerk - based on the above posts I might just try it for longer stays where the room/view quality varies throughout the hotel.

Concierge is salaried, right, so no tip.

Some great responses so far. I agree with the concept of tipping for *true* service received, especially when someone goes out of their way to be helpful. Here are some of my "rules" (noting that on all of my trips, whether business or leisure, I am in the room by myself):

Housekeepers - I usually don't tip for an overnight stay. For two or more nights, USD 3 or so, with a note with any special requests (such as extra towels)

Bell staff - Unless I have more than two bags or parcels, I prefer to carry them myself. USD3 for a couple of things on a cart, more if it's something heavy like equipment for a trade show (I always keep my briefcasecase/laptop bag in my possession).

Valet parking - I'll only valet park if self-parking isn't an option. usually USD 1 for each in/out if it's an easily accessible lot, USD 2 or 3 if it's a hot day and the kids are really hustling to get the cars out.

Front Office personnel - I've never had occasion to try the $20 trick because I'm usually not that picky about views etc. and I'm a heavy sleeper so "noisy" rooms etc don't usually bother me. But I'd give it a try if the circumstances ever dictated.

Room Service - USD 1 or 2 on top of the included gratuity.

Restaurant servers - 20% for good to very good service, 25% for excellent-outstanding (or if they flirt) :) :)

I think that zbenye's point about basing the tip on the value of the food/drink when using a voucher is very important.

In Europe, I also add

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've never tipped a desk clerk. I generally send a fax asking the concierge to 'help make this a special trip' and that I would be 'very grateful' etc. etc. and am specific about what type of room or view I would ideally like.

I've had excellent results thus far. I only tipped $20, once when I was upgraded to a large suite and sent chocolates and more (for my daughter's birthday).

I think the concierge can really make things happen, and wouldn't hesitate to leave him/her a thank-you card with tip enclosed at the end of the trip. I just can't seem to 'slip a little something' to a desk clerk when making a request.

I dont tip the front desk,I do tip the bellman $5-20 depending on if I have the family and a lot of bags and if its a hotel I stay at a lot and know the bellman.If I call for towels or shampoo I tip $2 unless its something that should have been in the room and then its $0.I never tip the valet,$20 per night sorry just cant do it.Vegas hotels free valet I tip $3.maid gets $3-$5 depending on how dirty the room is.Hotel van from airport $5-10 depending on how far the hotel is from airport and if he keeps me waiting on the curb(I always call for the van from the the plane door)

• 2 weeks later...

We tipped at the LAX hotel and got a Junior Suite. He even was nice enough to enter in the reservation the very same suite when we return thru LAX. Yes, he was the Manager On Duty!

Then a nice tip got us super upgraded roomS for a week here in Vegas. My In-Laws are blown away with their room and the view!! NOW these are real points in life.

Even the TODAY IN LAS VEGAS magazine says it is appropriate to tip the Front Desk Personnel! :)

• 1 year later...

I've seen this posted in a message of a previous poster.

When checking in to a hotel you politely ask for a room upgrade and when they quote you some ridiculous price you coyly say "Oh I thought it was complimentary" while suggestively looking at the 20 in your hand with a hotels reward card underneath.

The poster said he got the room upgrade.

Has anyone tried this and did it work for you, or did you end up looking like a fool?

Does it work for hotels without rewards cards?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]